Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
v8nova64
Grenade Inspector

Default 350 vortec 400+hp build

I know it possible to build a 5.7L vortec from a 96-2000 chevy truck to make 400+ hp with the change of a cam, rocker arms, valve springs, distributor, carb and a manifold with NO machine work required. I have some questions please do not reply to this thread if you cannot answer what i am asking. thank you

I will be buying a 5.7L vortec engine complete and runnig with the 64cc heads.

I have read that i can use a high lift cam by using LS6 valve springs, and comp cams 787-16 retainers.

i will be using the proper intake and a holley 750.

I need recommendations on a cam and rocker arms that will work for this engine.

I would like to know if these rockers will work?

I noticed that speedway and summit both have their own camshafts that are much cheaper than comp cams or the like. If possible i would like to use a summit racing or speedway camshaft under $150.

I would need to know what the specs of the camshaft i will need? I will not be doing any machining to the block so the camshaft must just slide in after the valve springs and rocker arms have been done.

If someone could give me a reccomendation on which rocker arms to use that would be great. trying to stay around a $100 for these also.

The stock engine with the 64cc heads has 9.4:1 compression. Will i need to up this compression to reach my 400+ horsepower goal?

If so will these flat top pistons fit without any troubles?If they do indeed fit they would give 10.14:1 compression.

Again PLEASE DO NOT POST IF YOU DONT HAVE AN ANSWER TO MY QUESTIONS. thanks
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
BuiltFerComfort

Default Re: 350 vortec 400+hp build

Don't worry, no one would even think of posting here if they didn't have an answer to your questions :-) The folks on the HAMB are good at doing what they are told.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
v8nova64
Grenade Inspector

i should get decent mpg out of it also.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Sumfuncomet

Hey wait a minute.......I never did like being told what to do! If you had a question about a flattie or hemi or y block I'm sur you would get lots of answers. I think if you post that question on Popular Chevy or super Truck you might get your answers to your belly button question!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
31Vicky with a hemi
Alliance Member

Lmao

the hamb relay network
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=214
Old 04-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
falcongeorge
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltFerComfort View Post
Don't worry, no one would even think of posting here if they didn't have an answer to your questions :-) The folks on the HAMB are good at doing what they are told.
I like pistachios. No, really, I do.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
mastergun1980
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongeorge View Post
I like pistachios. No, really, I do.
So do I ... I 'm gonna got to the store and get some. mmmm. pistachios...
Old 04-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
alumslot

If I had the right answer I would post it but since I don't I wont post on here.

Jim
Old 04-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
31Vicky with a hemi
Alliance Member

Where's the bunny with a pancake on his head ?

the hamb relay network
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=214
Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
283john
Grenade Inspector

Vortec's use different rockers than regular SBC's. One uses "self-aligning", one doesn't. Can't remember which is which.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
falcongeorge
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Vicky with a hemi View Post
Where's the bunny with a pancake on his head ?
I'm going for more of a "Canadiana" theme today...
Old 04-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
HamD
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8nova64 View Post
I know it possible to build a 5.7L vortec from a 96-2000 chevy truck to make 400+ hp with the change of a cam, rocker arms, valve springs, distributor, carb and a manifold with NO machine work required.

I have some questions please do not reply to this thread if you cannot answer what i am asking. thank you
Don't be this way or you won't get a tip.

Quote:
5.7L vortec engine complete and runnig with the 64cc heads.

I have read that i can use a high lift cam by using LS6 valve springs, and comp cams 787-16 retainers.
I need recommendations on a cam and rocker arms that will work for this engine.
The issue is, some have gotten by with very close retainer to valve boss/guide clearance. Others have machined the heads to either gain clearance or peace of mind. Read this: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ift/index.html as it goes over the details.

The rockers you picked out are non-guided. Iron heads which have an opening that acts as a guide plate for the pushrod (or ones with guide plates) need non-guided rockers. Heads with a bigger opening that doesn't guide the pushrod need guided rockers.

www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=371&cat=20164562&page=1 are one set that would work. They make 1.6 ratio too.

If you want 400hp and mileage, you're going to want to go roller cam, since you already have the block, the lifters (re-use them,) and all the hardware for it. This way you can get higher lift and shorter duration than a flat tappet would necessitate.

Quote:
I would need to know what the specs of the camshaft i will need?
Figure out your rear gear, tire size, stall of the converter and *THEN* contact a cam mfgr. Because they don't want to talk to you if you don't have an answer to their questions.

BTW, you're being cheap.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
rld14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergun1980 View Post
So do I ... I 'm gonna got to the store and get some. mmmm. pistachios...
Diamond has these almonds that have chocolate or something in them, pick some of them up while you're at it.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
falcongeorge
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rld14 View Post
Diamond has these almonds that have chocolate or something in them, pick some of them up while you're at it.
And nuts are good for your prostate too...Pretty important, considering the median age of this group...
Old 04-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
v8nova64
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamD View Post
Don't be this way or you won't get a tip.

The issue is, some have gotten by with very close retainer to valve boss/guide clearance. Others have machined the heads to either gain clearance or peace of mind. Read this: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ift/index.html as it goes over the details.

The rockers you picked out are non-guided. Iron heads which have an opening that acts as a guide plate for the pushrod (or ones with guide plates) need non-guided rockers. Heads with a bigger opening that doesn't guide the pushrod need guided rockers.

www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=371&cat=20164562&page=1 are one set that would work. They make 1.6 ratio too.

If you want 400hp and mileage, you're going to want to go roller cam, since you already have the block, the lifters (re-use them,) and all the hardware for it. This way you can get higher lift and shorter duration than a flat tappet would necessitate.

Figure out your rear gear, tire size, stall of the converter and *THEN* contact a cam mfgr. Because they don't want to talk to you if you don't have an answer to their questions.

BTW, you're being cheap.
Sorry guys I'm just in a bad mood I guess again I apoligize. I know all u great guys on the hamb are just trying to help out as best as u can.

If I may ask a few more questions just to recap.

Basically my parts list would be:

-complete running 1996+ 5.7L vortec block with 64cc heads (and remove all the computer stuff and efi along with the cam and rocker arms)
-ls6 valve springs with the comp cams retainers
-self aligning 1.6 roller rockers
-hei distributor
-edelbrock performer intake for vortec heads
-a 750 holley carb
- a camshaft that matches my drivetrain

Is there anything else I would need to add to my parts list?
Like u said I can reuse all my roller parts.

Also is there a difference between the vortec camshafts and sbc camshafts. When I search for camshafts they don't list vortec. Are there specific vortec camshafts? Also does the compression need to be upped from 9.4:1 in order produce atleast 400hp with the parts on my list? If so are there special pistons for the vortec or can I buy flat top pistons with a 4" bore for a 350 sbc?

Thanks in advance. Again sorry for my behavior earlier.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
nwbhotrod

So how did we do
Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
falcongeorge
Old School HAMBer

Well, since you asked a little nicer (and I got a chance to post my "elk with a chair on his head " pic, I have been sitting on that one for a long time) If you machine the stud bosses down and install screw-in studs with guide plates, you dont need guided rockers. And google "Dirt Reynolds Ghetto grind". Cant believe I am being so helpful, it goes against my nature, as well as my better judgement...
Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
HamD
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8nova64 View Post
-complete running 1996+ 5.7L vortec block with 64cc heads (and remove all the computer stuff and efi along with the cam and rocker arms)
-ls6 valve springs with the comp cams retainers
-self aligning 1.6 roller rockers
-hei distributor
-edelbrock performer intake for vortec heads
-a 750 holley carb
- a camshaft that matches my drivetrain

Is there anything else I would need to add to my parts list?
Like u said I can reuse all my roller parts.

Also is there a difference between the vortec camshafts and sbc camshafts. When I search for camshafts they don't list vortec. Are there specific vortec camshafts? Also does the compression need to be upped from 9.4:1 in order produce atleast 400hp with the parts on my list? If so are there special pistons for the vortec or can I buy flat top pistons with a 4" bore for a 350 sbc?

Thanks in advance. Again sorry for my behavior earlier.
If you're on a budget, use your rocker money towards a nice roller cam; plan on staying 1.5 and include that in your discussion w/ cam mfgrs.

1986 to 2003 SBC bottom ends are the same except for the 86 block being non-roller valley. So the 5.7 iron head truck engine is a SBC. Same cam interchange applies.

The Vortec chambers are excellent and you can probably run a little higher compression on 87 octane. This depends on your cam and this is where engine builders near you are worth talking to even if you're not ready yet to buy and build.

Horsepower means jack. The amount of area under a torque curve matters. And you have heads already chosen which are optimal in a moderate RPM range. In short, you're not going to have a 7000rpm shift point from stock Vortec cast heads. Gearing matters heavily too. So you want to cam it to make excellent power where it matters. My DD spends a lot of time at 1800rpm with a SBC because of rear gear, the converter and shift points. So if I cammed it to make power starting at 3000rpm, it would be stupid and I'd hurt mileage.

Send me all the EFI crap for free. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
brandon
Old School HAMBer

Ill have to find cam number...just did a 98ish vortec motor. Changed springs and cut guides...540ish lift hyd roller and airgap intake. Went 11.20's in 72 stock body nova a couple weeks ago
Old 04-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Biscayner

Here is what I have in my firebird. A 1997 Vortec 350 out of a 1 ton truck all stock except for the following items.

Air gap performer rpm intake
600 1405 eddy carb modified
1 5/8" headers and what you are looking for,

I used a LT4 hot cam, LT4 valve springs with the stock lifters and I took the
stock rockers and slotted them. Why you ask? I do not like to use the heavy roller tip
rockers on the street or roller rockers either. Too much extra weight on the tip floats the valves sooner. Was told this by an old time racer and you know what? it works. Besides stock rockers are cheap and work good. You just need to use a 1/8" die grinder with a good burr to do this.

This combo pulls to 6500 with out effort, boils the tires and get 17 mpg.