Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need Help on Rear Buggy Spring..Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Well, I have done some searching here, but want to be sure before I dish out some $$$.
    If my info is correct, a mid 30's up to a 1940 Ford rear leaf buggy spring will fit into a Model A frame cross member..
    Correct ?? :confused:
    I do not like the ride height I am going to get using a standard Model A rear spring with an S10 rear end, so want a rear spring that is not so deep...
    As always, thanks for any help !
    Cheers,
    Bob

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I don't think those springs will work.. I think you need a model T spring..

3. doctorZ

doctorZ

Nope!!
    That spring is too wide and too flat for the A crossmember. If you want to lower the car, get a T spring, lowered A spring, or a new crossmember.

4. woodypecker

woodypecker

Take out some leaves or reverse eyes.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I learned THAT the hard way!

6. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Once again a great group...tks for the help....
    Cheers..

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Well folks, I have been accused of a lot of things, but never of being the "Smart One" :eek: LOL.
    But after a long look at it again, I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new lower reversed eye Model T spring from Speedway that will drop the rear about ~10"
    Cheers...

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Sorry ...double post...

9. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

You bought the speedway "medium" arch reversed eye spring?

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Uh... no way that spring is gonna drop the rear 10"... even a T spring with a few leaves removed will only get you a few inches lower than an A spring.

11. Beau

Beau

From my searches, these threads rarely tell you that the Model T rear spring is also narrower that the 'A'. So you need to shim it at the cross member, and add spacers to the shackles as well.

If I remember right (don't quote me), the 37-41? rear springs are a tad wider than an 'A' spring too. If you flatten the 'A' cross member, or use the crossmember for the donor spring they can be used. I see it mostly on '32 rails, and not on Model A's.

12. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

My '30 A pickup was so low in the rear I had to use half-nuts on the spring clamps to keep them from hitting the 8" Ford axle and it had an A-spring, so I really don't see why you would want or need to swap springs, crossmembers or anything else to get it in the weeds.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Why not just weld the perches lower on the axle????

14. Beau

Beau

You can...if you step the frame or notch so the axle doesn't hit the frame. Don't forget about the driveshaft pinion angle.

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Appreciate the comments and help.
    I am not 100% positive that I actually have a Model A rear spring, but do know that it is ~19" deep, and this new one I ordered is advertised as ~10" deep, which will do what I am looking for...and yes, I may weld the perches below the axle housing if needed.
    As far as the width, I am aware of that, and plan on making some shims for it...
    When the new spring gets here in a few days, I will post pictures of them side by side.
    Cheers....

ON EDIT:
    I should clarify, that I am mounting a 1926 Model T body on this Model A frame, so cannot easily drop the body over the frame, due to the width...

16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Back for more info !!
    Tomorrow I plan on putting the new Speedway "medium" arch reversed eye spring in my project.
    As I said above, I will take pics of both the other one and this one side by side so you all can see what I have been confused over....:rolleyes:
    This new one is a full 9" lower at the arch than the old one, and also actually moves (springs) when I lean on it...
    It is 38" center to center hole, and if I am right the consensus on here is that the perch spacing is supposed to be 49.5"....
    I plan on tacking (strongly) the perches on tomorrow, then finding a stretcher so I can mount the spring this weekend, and finish weld them.
    QUESTION:
    With this spring, do I still need the 49.5" perch spacing, and if I don't do that fully, what will the predicted results be??
    Thanks much, (again)
    Cheers,
    Bob

17. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Make sure your tacks are really strong! you spread that spring out and hook it up, you don't want any thing moving, Alot of tension on it. Be carefull

18. Phone Speedway and ask them what they recommend for perch spacing on this spring.

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

EXCELLENT Idea...:D
    I just got off the phone with them...spacing for this application is 47" center to center perch hole.
    Thanks much for this idea.
    They are awesome to work with.
    Cheers.....

20. 6-71

6-71

I am installing one of those springs in my T-bucket,and in the questions and answers part of the description they recomend 45" for a model A roadster. That spring is going to have to be disassembled,spread and installed one leaf at a time. I worked in a spring shop for many years, I have a factory made spreader,but I could not spread the spring that much.(safely).The reverse eyes make it even more interesting.

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Actually when welding in the perches, due to axle housing width, I went with 46" center to center...
    Also here is a picture of the new spring along side the old one that had me so confused (that I got for free from a fellow who thought it came out of a Model A) Geesh, must have been a cement truck ?? :eek::rolleyes::(
    Thanks much, and in the next few days I will try to figure out how to safely stretch this one....
    Cheers,
    Bob

Attached Files:

22. 6-71

6-71

There are certainly differing opinions on the proper spacing of the hangers,I have mine clamped and jigged right now at 42".I did a google search and found one "opinion" that verified my calculations for the 38"spring. I am going to weld mine in tomorrow,I will keep you posted as to how it works out. My 9" bronco rear end is only 50 1/4 between the backing plates,so the previously stated 49 1/4 measurment would be pretty tight.

23. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Appreciate.
    I have my perches tacked (heavily) in place, and after some phone conversations tonight, I plan on taking the spring apart tomorrow and spreading the bottom leaf to fasten to the perches, then add the other four leaves back on...
    Will be anxious to see how yours works out.
    Cheers..

24. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

i put the speedway spring on the back of my roadster.as stated on other posts you will need to disassemble it to mount it.you will also have to make spacers for your crossmember because an "A" spring is 1/4" wider than a "T" spring.on mine i ran the model a top leaf and made a bottom spacer from a model a spring then used canvas to shim it in the crossmember.it lowered the car alot and it looks okay.
    [​IMG]

25. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

the proper distance for the spring hangers(mounts)for this spring is 43" center of the shackle eye to eye.this will put your spring at the proper shackle angle when under a load.the spring will be hard to mount but the tension will be correct.also remember to set the hangers to the proper angle to the pinion as not to cause binding in the suspention.this would be 0 deg on a banjo or 3 to 5 on an open drive.here's a pic of mine.

Attached Files:

26. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

OK, so if I understand you, if you add ~3" for the two shackles (1 1/2" each side) the perch holes center to center would be ~46"....which is what I have...Correct ??

27. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

no 43" is from spring mount (perch hole)center to center.i don't think you can get the spring to spread beyond that.total width to outside of the mounts is approx. 45" but that will vary with the maufacturer.you should be able to mount the main leaf by hand by itself,if you can't the spring load will be too much and the shackles will not be at the proper angle under load.

28. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

I bought a "T" spring also, still waiting for a final decision here!! Don't end this post yet. Hdonlybob, what measurements are you going with??? Let me know, I want to come down and look-

29. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I have the perches tack welded at 46" center to center right now.
    Hopefully today I will get the spring mounted...probably will take it apart to do so...
    When I get the spring on, I will let you know.
    You are more than welcome to come look at it....
    Actually I was thinking about contacting you to see if you had a spring spreader, but hadn't gotten that far yet !

30. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

Now you have gotten me curious. I need to lower the rear of my model a and was wondering what spring to use.