Register now to get rid of these ads!

E-85 ethanol for fuel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skumbag, Sep 1, 2005.

1. skumbag

skumbag

i've been reading about using 200 proof ethanol for fuel. i was thinking of building a still and starting to experiment with it. i was just wondering if anyone on the HAMB has tried this or knew anything about it. any info is appreciated.

thanks, matt

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Maybe you shoudl try doing a search for E85, there is an ongoing thread as well as a few from months past....

3. 200 proof is not only unnecessary but impossible to produce outside of a laboratory or refinery. Production costs rise exponentialy going from 180 to 200 proof. Also hydrowhatchamacallit. It will absorb water out of the atmosphere lowering the proof anyway.
    Unsuitable for automotive purposes.

Not to be taken internally. May seem obvious to you but some people need to be told.:rolleyes:

4. skumbag

skumbag

thanks

5. It takes 3 times as much alchohol to run a motor as gasoline.

To make 10 gallons of shine @ 190-200 proof it takes 100 lbs of mash, that's a 50/50 mix of grain and sugar. For a streeter that would get pretty pricey but its more than doable, I guess.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not true....