Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Detroit Will Rise

Allan Hill has what seems to be a sort of sad optimism. Through circumstances that aren't really ever explained, he lives (legally mind you) in one of the last inhabitable buildings of the original Packard plant. His space appears to be a the home of...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Rpmrex

Default Re: Detroit Will Rise

That is an interesting story. It seems he has electric, but no running water would be tough.

I some times think solitude would be fine with me.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
mctim64
Alliance Member

I'm happy for him if he likes it but I couldn't live that way. Although I would love to have the property I would like to see it much more organized.

"it looks just like a Tellafunkin U-47"

http://yblockguy.com/
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Hot Rods Ta Hell

He mentioned something about being the on site caretaker for the owner-no doubt in exchange for "free rent".
Not a bad deal, but man what a cluttered shop!

Desolate for sure, but it seems to suit him. I can only imagine how scary that place could be during the night hours. Rats, dogs start barking. Is someone trying to break in?
online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
diamonddrew
Grenade Inspector

Great attitude. There are a few in the city that are like that. We need more and Detroit will rise again!
Thanks for sharing Ryan.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
BISHOP
Old School HAMBer

Nothing sounded very happy in his voice, depressing. Seems like he is just there till something bad happens.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
BigNick1959

Strange, he doesn't seem to have much but he does have a computer, is he on the HAMB?

To tell you the truth, after the ass beating life has given me over the last 4 years retiring to a large building and dropping off the gride doesen't sound half bad!

www.nick-solovey.artistwebsites.com
photography.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
pumpman
Alliance Member

I couldn't live in a place like that, but that's me. It is so sad to see what was a beautiful complex just left to crumble, that really bothers me. But what is cool amongst all that despair a human being has found peace. Good for him.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
farmergal

great video. As sad as his story is; he's right. The majority of people in America (especially the younger generations) don't really understand Detroit and what the problem is. to see a city; the was such a major contributer to this nation, in such shambles is an absolute shame. I work in manufacturing and we do a lot of medical business because it's the only type of business that cant be shipped to china for safety reasons. We attened a lot of plastics shows and conventions and the chinese come to these things in droves with cameras in hand trying to get pictures of everything the American's bring to put on display. We had very large injection molds on display and these people were trying to get as many pictures as they could and they didnt care if they got yelled at. Why were they doing this? to go back to china and hopefully build such things to compete with the business the Americans are trying to drum up back home. I understand the convenience of chinese-made products and the overall money saving reasons for doing it....but investors and corporate America is ruining this country for the sake of greed. I sure do hope Detroit can rise again from the ashes because, right now, this country needs a lot of help.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
bluthndr
Alliance Member

Dude! That building is like an automotive cathedral! Awesome place. All the junk can be cleaned up, but that building... wow.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
4t64rd
Old School HAMBer

Location: Pinellas County - the skin tag on the underside of America's wang, Florida

I completely understand this guy.

I lived in a warehouse for a time... It had A/C, electricity and running water, it had a toilet and a small bathroom sink only, not water heater, no bath or shower. The no shower thing was the worst part and the best part... I never knew where I'd be taking a shower... it was a conversation starter.

Low rent... Had a waterbed in an office, I left the heater off in the summer, heater on in the winter... Microwave... Mini-fridge... Pulled my motorcycle in the front door at night... During the week the neighboring warehouses were MC shops, car shops... one was even a donut bakery... They were there if I needed something.

At night, NOBODY was there, no noise, no cable TV, nobody bothered me, nobody wanted to come over... No distractions... no windows... Had my drawing table, tools and a (pre-internet 386DX) computer... It was relaxing, like a cocoon.

Granted, mine was not in a city where the murder rate is 2200% over the national average (I was born North of Detroit... 13 mile road, I left with my parents at age 13)... I felt safe in my warehouse down here in FL, just because it was so isolated at night... His might be the same... But 3 Rotties and a pit bull would certainly help make me feel safe there.

Is that one next door to his open?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
Chaz
Old School HAMBer

I remember when a guy could work at an auto plant, own a home, have a wife that didn"t work, send the kids to college. Driving through Detroit and Chicago you are constantly reminded of a time when an actual PRODUCT was what America was about. I"m glad I grew up when I did.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Torchie

I grew up in the Detroit area and used to pass the Packard plant all the time. This video points out the problem that we seem to have in many cities in this country. We just let things sit and rot until they are nothing more than scrap. And then we piss and moan about the way things used to be.
This complex should of and could of been rehab'd for many uses. How many new plants have been put up since 1956. One day those will all look like the Packard Plant. But as always newer is better.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
1320/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
I remember when a guy could work at an auto plant, own a home, have a wife that didn"t work, send the kids to college. Driving through Detroit and Chicago you are constantly reminded of a time when an actual PRODUCT was what America was about. I"m glad I grew up when I did.
I wish I grew up when you did!!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
okiedokie

Believe I will clean the shop today.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
rdemilt
Grenade Inspector

Very sad to see what has become of the Packard plant,
I dont know... but I hope the guy has a few friends.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #17
dodored
Alliance Member

I totally get what he is saying. I live in a 100,000 square foot old mill warehouse myself, and it was kind of spooky to begin with. Those old buildings talk at night. But after 4 months living here I feel very much at home. I have an office converted into an apartment, and I walk three steps to work on my projects. Definitely not for everyone, but as a single guy I find it very peaceful. Everything is organized and neat, as clutter makes my anxious.

coolbreezesurf.com / Buy Sell Trade Surfboards
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
GARY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
I grew up in the Detroit area and used to pass the Packard plant all the time. This video points out the problem that we seem to have in many cities in this country. We just let things sit and rot until they are nothing more than scrap. And then we piss and moan about the way things used to be.
This complex should of and could of been rehab'd for many uses. How many new plants have been put up since 1956. One day those will all look like the Packard Plant. But as always newer is better.
well put.

I just did the drive from Reno to Wichita on Ol' route 50. Alot of once great old towns, buildings and houses crumbling. Kind of sad.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
1929rats

Excellent Post ---- exactly the right thing for me to see today.....
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
hotrod1940
Old School HAMBer

I will always remember Detroit as it was in the fifties. I would be curious as to who owns the Packard building and how they acquired it.