Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does a Massachusetts assigned VIN destroy historical value of a street rod or early c

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Apr 4, 2012.

1. My 1947 Ford Super Deluxe coupe was forced by new legislation to have a Massachusetts assigned VIN attached to it, thereby negating the original Henry Ford serial number.
    Does this impact the historical value and history to this car?
    Will this affect it's value as a collectible hot rod as it's history and pedigree has been tamped with by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts?

Whats your view of this recent surprise legislation originally intended for the kit car reproduction industry that has new bled over to street rod and customs?

What kind of a hit will we have to swallow?

2. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Seems like it probably would F up the value 2MP where is the new VIN attached to you car? Is it riveted on or a sticker or what? Where di they send you to get inspected and get your new VIN?

3. Removing the original vin would alter the value.
    Will the new vin be registered to a 47 ford and be recognized in any state or just Massachusetts ? If they give you a mass only vin & take your old one I'D say yes. If the leave the old one and do some clerical addition for the state is say no.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Why should it affect the value? If the car wasn't wrecked or stolen or hasn't suffered any other catastrophe then there should be no real loss in value just because the State 'identifies' it by a number other than the original number. In the final analysis, value is a perception...not necessarily a tangible thing, but it makes no sense for someone to say the car is worth less today with this number than the car was yesterday with a different number.

Ray

5. rld14

rld14

I can't see how it would on a '47 Ford. I work in the car biz; on a modern car it's a disaster, akin to a salvage title but stuff that trashes the value of modern cars (structural repairs, paintwork..etc) doesn't affect the value of old stuff.

Now, if you had a car where the VIN determines that it's a valuable car and the original VIN was missing, then you'd be screwed. Like say that hypothetically 427 Galaxies had unique VINs and you had one with no original VIN and a state assigned VIN, then you'd be in financial trouble.

6. Ghost, It got inspected at the DOT SALVAGE INSPECTION UNIT in Revere.
    The new tag is a blue and chrome like adhesive sticker that was applied to the left hand A pillar.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  7. Well look at it this way, fellas on here try to change history all the time. It doesn't change anything at all, what happened happened.

If the car in question has history putting a legitimate vin tag on it doesn't change the history. If its just an old car it is still just an old car only now it has a legitimate title which should up the value.

8. Weasel

Weasel

Do they grind out the original VIN on the frame? Just asking in case you decide to sell out of state at a later date....

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

no, they dont grind out the old VIN. An old car is an old car, I really don't think it matters what the RMV calls it. I'm not a fan of all the stuff happening here, either, but I don't think a sticker on the A pillar is going to send the value plummeting.

10. F&J

F&J

As long as it is not titled as a 2012, and is still a "1947 Ford", then no. Ct has those stickers as well, for either composite builds, or damaged original vin tags.

11. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

if you still have the original vin on the car then it shouldn't much affect it. They're not going to pick the body off the frame and grind-off the numbers; that'd be illegal. As F&J stated before: if it's still titled as a '47 ford then you should be just fine. the problem with CT titling "composite" vehicles is that it is then registered and titled as a "2012, 1947 coupe." Connecticut DMV takes posession of any original title that walks through the door at their offices. If you try to register a vehicle with it, they take it, it disappears, and you will never see it again. It is a known, unwritten "rule" to go in there with a legal bill of sale only. Most people hold onto their original titles for safe keeping; that way if the car is ever sold; the original title can stay with it. A bill of sale will also accompany the car to the new owner and it can be rightfully titled the correct way elsewhere. If you dont have an original title with the original vin# on it; then when it is sold; peel the Mass titled vin sticker off of the pillar; and sell it wila l egal bill of sale with the old vin on it.

12. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I do not agree with removing the new applied vin if you want to sell it with the original numbers. I do not agree with the the state Mass applying new numbers if the orignal are still there. But the new vin /title should make it easier / desirable for sale to the next owner. You have jumped through the hoops, frustrations and the exspense all ready. Financial that should raise the sale price/value to me if i was buying the car.

Removing the new vin sticker would probably be consider the same offense as altering removing an original vin and punishable by law.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  13. I personally don't think it would hurt the value of a custom because generally there's nothing original about it. That's why it's a custom.

I would definitely say that it would kill the value of an original.

I don't understand.... Why is Massachusetts making you get a new VIN???? :confused:

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Ask your self if I was buying it whould it effect what I would pay? Mines a model T not orginal frame or motor serial# from a motor that's long gone.

15. 32 hudson

32 hudson

We do not understand either ! Botom line is too comply with the regs or move out evidently.

16. Sounds like another fucked up way of drumming up money!

Just like New York.... The land of taxes & fees!

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually I think it is because that state's computer system won't recognize the old shorter vin numbers. Keeping the original title to go along with the car if it is sold out of state makes a lot of sense even though. you would also be giving the buyer the computer compliant title with the car.

As someone previously said, it shouldn't be a big deal on a hot rod or custom but on a numbers matching collector rig it is a hell of a big deal. If the car is a well known old rod or custom that was done in the 30's, 40's or 50's and it's history has been documented along the way the number on the sticker on the door post and the newly issued title isn't going to mean a thing one way or the other on it's historical value as a hot rod.

But they still should have a line for "OEM Vin" on the title and registration. It wouldn't come up in their computer but would come up when ever title or registration was printed out. That might be something to push for.

18. mtburger

mtburger

The part that bothers me, as I have a Model A with a Mass issued title in the previous owners name and the correct Ford VIN, is that there is still a law on the books making it illegal to alter the factory VIN.

I read all the new legislation, and no where does it state that the DMV is exempt from the existing no-tampering law with VIN's, so as far as I am concerned the DMV is breaking the law by altering the VIN on an existing vehicle that has a legal title, the VIN it was assigned by the manufacturer with, and has an extensive paperwork trail already established in the state.

I am not sure what I am going to do, but I am not going to go down easy on this one.

I paid a bunch more money to get a car with a title history in Mass, and I am going to make plenty of noise in order to do my best to keep it.

That includes having the DMV show me the proof that they are not breaking the existing law in regards to VIN tampering themselves.

Mike H.

19. greaser

greaser

Registering and titling home builts has never been easy, but this new legislation seems to be making it a lot worse than it ever was before. If "we" don't make niose now, we'll have to live with it later!
    I didn't spend all those dollars and time to see it sit in the garage.

20. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Thanx 2MP . We are SO FUCKED in this state not mention hobby!! Makes me wanna stay of the streets and just go racin. So when you got to the place in Revere were they ok to deal with or were they dicks about the whole thing?

Ghost

21. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

22. Snarl

Snarl

Seems to me we don't have all the facts....

Like was this an already titled and licensed car? or something else?

a SALVAGE inspection unit? sorry, but to me this isn't adding up, you're not telling us everything we need to know...

23. Fenders

Fenders

According to this
    https://secure.rmv.state.ma.us/PolicyBrowserPublic/PB/default.htm?turl=WordDocuments/streetrods.htm
    the mass assigned number is only MA plus five digits...pretty short!
    But that has to be wrong.
    Also says you have to turn in your original title.
    I'd like to know why the OP was sent to get a Mass. VIN in the first place.

24. Fenders

Fenders

25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

26. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

All the facts exist on the board, Ryan closed a thread already, stating it got too political...

This new law is for any vehicle that falls into the parameters of the laws outline, new builds, old builds, kit cars, customs...the only thing it doesnt affect is bone stock vehicles (even though they have a couple little things to go through)

27. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

They say its supposed to be "MA" plus 5 digits, and some how that makes it conforming to the national 17 digit vin law...good math

28. n847

n847

Yep its worthless now...Ill do you a favor and head out your way with a trailer to take it off your hands!

29. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

According to what I just read, unless your 47 Deluxe Coupe is a "Street Rod", you don't need a new VIN.

If your car is a Street Rod, why would you think a new VIN hurts the value? Seems to me that the State is going to legitimize your car and it's components and make it easy for you to sell it later.

30. Ghost...........The Mass. State Trooper in Revere was very difficult, almost beyond any form of the word "reasonable", but I placed a phone call earlier to people I know in the DOT and the Mass. State Police telling them that I was expecting a confrontation with him.
    A phone call to him about 30 minutes into the inspection from higher ups eased me thru the process.
    The inspector in Revere is accustomed to dealing with a tough crowd dragging in reconstructed salvage vehicles, not high quality street rods. The guy is very mistrusting and shows a very hardened and short temper. Comes from who he has to usually deal with in the salvage and stolen parts business world.
    It was not an enjoyable morning there and I'm being told I have to still do 3 more of my cars.
    Not sure if I'll go thru this many more times or maybe I'll hasten my plans on moving to the South West by end of this year.
    I've seen this coming for a long time and the fight is starting to really annoy me.