Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
26Tudor

Location: Northern California, where the Redwoods meet the sea
Default Anyone else have this problem with Fram Oil filters?

Okay, I have been using Fram Filters since almost before I can remember. I've read a few things about how they have gone downhill in quality over the last couple of years...
I changed the oil pan on the Model T Sunday, so I now have more than 2-1/2 inches of clearance on a cast aluminum pan (yeah, it's a Chevy V6, it's what I had, and it was cheap, and hell, it's 3/4 of a SBC anyway...)
So I get everything buttoned up, spin on the new Fram Oil Filter, fill the engine full of oil, and fire it up. Great, no leaks, everything looks good...my buddy Dave says "give it a little gas" so I went to about 2,000-2500....I saw the look in his eyes, and was reaching for the key before he had a chance to shout "SHUT IT OFF!!!!"

The oil filter had blown off. I mean it came right off the threaded insert in the block.
I checked the filter, looked at the threads, they "looked" okay, so I stuck it back on
(after I cleaned up the Model T Valdez on the garage floor). I KNOW I had a good 10-12 threads on that thing, and got it good and snug, seated and an extra 1/2 turn. Tried it again. Hit 2,000 rpm (about 65 psi) and POW off it came again.
Cleaned up THAT mess, went to the parts store, got a Wix filter, screwed it on, and no more problems. No leaks, and didn't blow off.
I looked at the threads, and there's nothing obviously wrong with them, but that Fram filter went right into the trash.
Anyone else have troubles like this?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
zman
Alliance Member

Default Re: Anyone else have this problem with Fram Oil filters?

If you do a search there are a few threads about Fram problems. Now what happened to you is exactly what happened to a whole bunch of their motorcycle filters in the 90's. It was bad enough that a couple of racing sanctioning bodies wouldn't allow Fram filters.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Sting Ray

Years ago, make that decades ago, Fram filters were highly regarded and accepted as the filter to use. Then they quietly off shored them to Mexico and they've been crap since. Pay the extra for a WIX or Napa Gold which I think are the same thing.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Slick111

Yep lost a motor myself.Fram is now junk your problem according to many experienced mechanics is the poor quality threading process ( along with lots of other issues ) is sloppy loose.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
iFlip
Grenade Inspector

I've always been told to stay away from fram for as long as i can remember.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
tfeverfred
Old School HAMBer

WORST. FILTER. EVER. My experience is on an OT car. Filter blew right off in the way you described! Guys at the parts store thought it was funny. Then I told 'em I'd never be back. Got a refund and a new, different filter. Haven't looked back.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
tooljunkie
Grenade Inspector

fram filters have been top on my list of things not to buy.seals stick to block when removed.quite often so stuck they need to be demolished to remove.
the filter media is less than any other on the market-just weigh one compared to another brand.
the blow off issue may be filters incorrectly labelled.
i have had more bad experiences with fram than any other brands.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
31Vicky with a hemi
Alliance Member

Your not the only one, just do a search. I'm surprised they are still allowed to sell that crap.

the hamb relay network
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=214
Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
tommyd
Alliance Member

They are the filter of choice for all Wal Mart tire,lube express shops.....need I say more? And dang it!, they dumped Cory Mac as their T/F driver.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
boutlaw
Alliance Member

Used Fram for years, never had a problem, but after reading all the problems people were having, I changed all the filters on my vehicles to NAPA Gold, and at the same time decided to cut open a Fram, which only had about 50 miles on it, and check out the number of filter accordian folds and structure. The surface area of the Fram filter folds was practically non existant vs what I was used to when inspecting Champion oil filters removed from aircraft for many years. I could not believe how few accordian folds were present in the filter. I never had a Fram failure, but after seeing the lack of filter surface area, I am convinced that the filtering capability suffers. I won't ever use Fram again. I heard the Fram HP's were a better quality filter, but have not cut one open to investigate. I will cut open the NAPA Gold at the next filter change to compare, and I expect it to be much better in quality. Back in the day, Fram was THE filter, apparently profit margin trumps quality these days in the Fram coporate world.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
von zipper

I shudder every time I see one on a car! GARBAGE!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
49ratfink
Old School HAMBer

when you go to O'Reily's the filter wall is a sea of orange, Fram everywhere you look. had to ask at the counter to get something else... I think I got a WIX but I forget now.

I used Fram filters on all my cars since the 70's with no problems ever. Never heard about them being inferior until I had a 289 built for an OT car I had. I ran into the machinist driving around before the hood was on. he looks at my beautiful new restored engine compartment and all he can say is "I can't believe you put a Fram on that motor, get a WIX."

so between him and the HAMB, I have stopped using them.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
GeezersP15
Grenade Inspector

Years ago, I always used Fram filters. I never had a problem with them back then, but after reading all the negative reports on them nowadays, I now buy NAPA Gold or Wix filters. No more Fram filters on any of my vehicles, ever. My vehicles are too important to me to use garbage oil filters.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
oldschool66

Location: The Garage with the lights on in Richland Center Wisconsin

I'm pretty sure I'm due for a oil change on the roadster, I'm pushing 300 miles on my Fram filter. It's comming off tomorrow, Thanks guys!!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
26Tudor

Location: Northern California, where the Redwoods meet the sea

I must have performed the search function wrong, then.
Like I said, I have been using Fram filters since the 70's, and this is the first one I ever had problems with. Guess I was just lucky.
Guess I know better know, WIX or NAPA gold for me, from now on.
Thanks for the info, HAMBer's, and thanks for not giving me any crap about running a V6....
Old 03-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
B Ramsey

ive had 2 filters blow on my vw, one was a bosch, cant remember the other one. unfolded the seam at the top....now i use k&n's
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
mustang6147

I use NAPA gold ot Mobile 1. Fram sucks. I had a cut out of a fram filter, at it was shocking the carboard an glue used to make them.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
Don's Hot Rods
Old School HAMBer

I wouldn't use one on a bet. A few weeks ago I went into Autozone for oil and a filter for my daily driver and as I was looking at the various oils the Manager walked up and asked if I needed any help. I told him I was ok, but he saw the Bosch oil filter in my hand and asked me if I saw their special that had 5 quarts of Valovaline oil and a Fram filter. I said I just won't use a Fram filter and he said "I have the authority to swap another brand filter into that package deal. " So I bought the oil and the Bosch filter, and now I know I can avoid getting a Fram filter when they have that deal again.

Fram was THE filter to buy at one time, not sure why, but they sure don't have that reputation any more. Our local Advance Auto Parts has a display cut open Fram filter and it is all collapsed inside, which is what I understand happens when they fail.

Don
Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #19
Beef Stew

i must be one of the lucky few because i've never had a problem with fram filters. the only one problem i did have was one time i had a filter that developed a tick. thought there was a problem with the engine then used the big-screwdriver-to-your-ear stethoscope and pin pointed down to the filter. changed the filter out and no more tick. only problem i've had in 15 years.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #20
von zipper

My tech teacher taught me, if you have a Ford(Motorcraft) G.M.(AC-Delco) thats what they were designed to use!
Closed Thread