Register now to get rid of these ads!

****My '46 Dodge Pickup Build Thread****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '54Caddy, Mar 20, 2012.

1. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Im starting this build thread to show progress on my 46 dodge pickup. At this point I have made a lot of progress but still have a lot of work to do. I'd like to thank my buddy Steve (Toreadorxlt) for helping along the build.

I purchased the truck back in October. i found it about an hour from my house and was planning on using it as a parts truck for my other 46 dodge pickup. I ended up getting the truck home and upon further inspection it was buildable and comparing it to the truck I had it was not much more work to build the "parts truck" than fix up my other 46. So I sold my father my other 46 and started building the "parts truck"

Heres pics of the day I got it home. Pretty rough shape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plans for this truck are hot rod pickup, full fendered, low (about 5-6 inch ride height, V-8 with a standard. I decided that the stock front end would not work with the straight axle because I would not get the height I wanted. So I started searching around for options, and by chance I found a hamber (Mikey4) selling a solid chassis with a mustang II clip. The ad was older but I sent him an email anyway. he said he still had it and to come pick it up for free! So the old man and I headed 3 hours south to CT to pick it up. Thanks Mike!
    [​IMG]

2. monc440

monc440

Cool. Another early Mopar. I love these trucks. my pops has one on a Dakota chassis waiting to be worked on.

Please tell me your going to keep it Mopar powered.

3. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Now that I had my chassis, and front end figured out, it was time to start the rear suspension. I am running a triangulated 4 link with coil overs. I started with removing the leafs and chevy 10 bolt rear. the rear end was a little wide so I opted for a 9" I pulled from a 59 Edsel.

C-Notching the frame
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At that point I ran out of money so I focused on motor mounts. I was searching for a decent poly motor for this truck but was not having much luck in my price range. I opted for a 318 magnum with 5 speed out of a 99 Ram. It will be swapped over to a carb setup.

Heres the motor mounts I fabbed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I made the motor mounts, I still had no money so I sandblasted the cab.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As expected, I found some rust spots to repair
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some dents to knock out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

The floors were pretty much missing and the front door posts and body mounts were rotted though at the base.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started by cutting out the rot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somehow the pictures of the repaired pieces got deleted :mad: I will take some pics of that tonight and insert them in here.

5. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Next, I made some floor pans. Bead rolled these and tacked in place. I still need to make up a tunnel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the floors were done, I finally saved up enough cash for some more material. I bought my 4bbl intake and installed that
    [​IMG]

I pulled the cab and went back to work on the chassis. I started by boxing the frame
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then moved on to my 4 link. Started with my lower bars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did the trans crossmember
    [​IMG]

Then bent up a crossmember and and made my upper links
    [​IMG]

Heres my link bars
    [​IMG]

6. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I also found a deal on a fargo grille. I like the fargo style better than the dodge and Ive never seen a fargo in my area so I figured it'd be cool.
    [​IMG]

I also bought some really nice, solid front fenders and running boards
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sandblasted the rear end housing, and set the cab back on the chassis.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to throw a fender and running board on to make sure ride height would be good (and I was excited, haha)
    [​IMG]

That pretty much takes me to where I am today. Next I will do my coil over mounts, mount the fuel cell, and get the chassis ready for paint

7. 73super

73super

OK.. that's just dang cool! You're doing a great job...

8. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Ok, the last couple weeks have been crazy with other things, but I am now back on the truck. I got my shock mounts on and crossmember in.
    [​IMG]

I still need to buy coil-overs, that is just a mock up shock my buddy let me borrow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also started some body work. Knocked out that huge dent in the roof, still needs a little more hammer and dolly work

before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back of the roof was really dented and dinged up too. Its getting much better after an hour of banging
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started filling holes in the cowl
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats about it for now. Hopefully I'll have another update soon.

9. JasonM

JasonM
    from Orcutt,CA

Looking great I have the same truck, do you know anyone with another front Safari window, my frame is rotted to the point of no return

10. tjmercury

tjmercury

Looking awesome! I really like the looks of the old dodge trucks, and they look even cooler lowered. Looks like It has a great stance so far

11. Nice job so far , you been busy!

12. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Thanks for the kind words! Not much progress on the truck recently. Ive been working on the house and my buddy and I bought a CNC plasma so we've been playing with that. I did start working on the steering column but forgot to take pictures. I'd like to thank Ian Berky for his tech post as it has come in very handy! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677999&highlight=20+steering+column

I also sand blasted the rear brake parts. You can see how bad they were in this pic, and how well they cleaned up
    [​IMG]

I have a spare top half of a frame that is in good condition if you're interested. Sorry, I cant help with the lower half.

13. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Alright, time for an update! Sorry about the delay, Ive been pretty busy on the truck and I suck at taking pictures and updating this thread!

I rebuilt the rear drums because I like brakes! New wheel cylinders, shoes, and springs.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

I got some coil overs for the rear
    [​IMG]

I did some more body work, More banging the dent on the roof, Its near perfect now
    [​IMG]

Passenger side cowl repair
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I made more progress on the steering column. Im using a wheel from a 59 Edsel but making my own column so I needed to adapt the wheel to my steering shaft. I started by cutting the old Edsel shaft and turned down the end on my lathe so it would fit inside my new steering shaft. Fits like a glove, welded it up, fit it in and bolted up the wheel. I think its a cool custom touch. I still need to do the bell on the column.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I made a fuel cell mount, finished welding the frame and grinding/sanding smooth (sorry no pictures). It was then time to paint the frame and rear end, so I yanked the cab and motor and suspension.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also pressure washed the motor and paint it.
    [​IMG]

15. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Very cool! Looks like you're really doing this one up right. Awesome fab work. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

16. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

46 dodge is one of the top 3 best looking trucks ever made.

17. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

18. Great job, good progress.

19. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Now That is what its all about......looking good so far. really like this model of dodge truck

20. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Set the motor last night (hopefully for the last time).
    [​IMG]

21. bstie

bstie

Looking good, I have subscribed and I am looking forward to seeing this one wrapped up keep it going!

22. stewdecky

stewdecky
    from Kansas

Awesome build! Can't wait for more!

23. Looks good, bud. Great job. :D

24. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

Can't wait to see more! This one's gonna be killer.

25. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

WOW... Super cool to catch this thread... I'm just starting a 47 Studebaker Pickup project... your rear suspension looks just like what I was planning... I'm not sure if I need to bump up the frame rails or not... I want to do a spring under axle conversion on the front, & lower the rear just a little, so I'll have to wait till I have the box off to decide on the frame work...

keep the pics coming ( I know it's a pain in the rear ) but sometimes it's cool to but together a scrap book after completed, so you can show off your work...

26. Very cool truck, can't wait to see it done.

27. 1947dodge

1947dodge
    from Glasgow kY

great looking build, I have a 1947 dodge pickup Ibought without a front axle I have a mustang 2 I need some measurements to find the proper location part of the front frame has been cut off I don't know how much. I need measurements from the cab supperts or some other common location so I can continue on installing the ifs. also what is the height in the front with the mustang is it stock height I what my truck to sit lower than stock. also how is the hub to hub measurement?

28. servi53

servi53

excellent work, dig them old dodges

29. Looking good! Nice score on the Fargo grille. I am trying to find pickup fenders for mine, the 1 1/2 tons that I have will put the edge of the tire 6" inside.

30. All I can say is you are "in to it". Looking good. love the double dimple 8" rear. That front end will be tits looking out the guys rear view mirror in front of you.