Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another Av8 build thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by skatermann, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Ok so I'm putting my prewar build off to the side for a bit. I bought some ASC deuce rails, an original '32 k-member, and I have a couple of model A front and rear crossmembers..........(aka I'm gonna build an Av8!!)

I have a coupe and a roadster body, I'm thinking maybe the roadster (but I'm not sure yet).

progress may or may not be slow, and advice/comments/thoughts etc. good or bad are welcomed!

2. heres the frame, its just sorta mocked up and nothings attached yet.
    I have a '40 rearend, '38 trans, and a '36 21 stud I'll use if its not cracked.

Attached Files:

wedjim likes this.
  3. Carter

Carter

Sounds like a good plan.
    What years are your bodies?

4. What about doing an AV8 speedster, or boat tail?
    Then you really only need a spare cowl.
    Just a couple of thoughts for you.

5. Both bodies are '30, but the coupe is a lot nicer! Speedsters are definitely cool, they don't really fit the plan though.
    I'm kinda going for a '49/'51 timeline, dual purpose street/lakes hotrod.

6. Ok I have some questions....maybe you guys have answers!

The Tardel/Bishop book has a drawing for the dimensions of a '32 frame built for a 28/29 body, does anyone know how they would differ for a 30/31 body?

Also, the rear mount on my tranny won't work with the '32 k-member, what kind of mount do I need?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

7. Carter

Carter

Some of the parts of that rear mount will work.
    When you take it apart you will see.
    You will find B-7085 bearing retainer and the B-5099A Support plate along with 4 of the B-5098 T Bolts. All of this you will need plus a B-5089B Rear Trans Support, which you can buy here:
    http://vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/trans-partsprices-pg4.htm

8. hey thanks carter that helps!

anyone know about the frame?

thanks

9. bump for the morning
    I'm starting to think maybe the measurements are the same

10. Last night I cleaned up the rear crossmember, and I marked it to be trimmed. I'm almost ready to start assembling the frame!

thanks!

11. Speedi D

Speedi D
    from Calif

I guess that we are all assuming that you understand that you need a fixture in which to jig-up the frame/cross members if you are not to come to grief with the frame assy.

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Not all of the wescotts dimensions are right on. Found that out when trying to measure one up. I think this has been posted before

13. Hey guys I've been working on the frame a good bit recently and I've made some progress.
    I am using frame table, although homemade it is very accurate. The diagram chopt top kid posted says 30/31 doesn't need to be pinched, which is good because I didn't.
    My frame is level and within 1/32 of square. Last night I tacked in the front and rear crossmembers (continually checking for square), and this morning I welded the K-member in.
    thanks for watching!

Attached Files:

14. ok so not much of an update, the frame is all welded up, and I decided on using the coupe(for good this time!). I did a drawing last night of how I want it to look. I kinda going for early competition style coupe, like something that could have run at Russetta in say, 1950/1951. It will of course be street legal.
    Heres the drawing and the inspiration: (most of these are taken off the hamb)

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Heres some more...

Attached Files:

16. this morning I got the cam out of my motor, next thing is to send it off to the machine shop for hot tanking and magna fluxing!

17. Well I guess I gotta git looking for another block...... um does anyone have any experience with H&H Flatheads? I have a 99 block in california I'm thinking about sending to them for machining, I hear they do good work??

Thanks

18. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Yea man go for it! I've read an article about H&H in the monthly's, cool shop your really getting your money worth with all the tricks that they can do. I my self know someone local that only deals with flatheads. He mite not have all the tools to do what H&H can do but all I care is I'm getting my 276 in July.
    Too bad about the 21 stud block, that would have looked good in a modified or a model a. I think a 24 stud looks better in a '32. Frames looking good what are your plains for the front?

19. so I've been out of town for two weeks, and I finally got home yesterday!! Today I went to visit this old guy up the road who has three model As and a bunch of parts, and I came home with some great stuff I've been really looking for!!! I got a '32 heavy axle(I'm pretty sure!) for $100, a pair of 682Cs for $40, a cool old chrome headlight bar and front spring, free perches and shackles, and what I think is a model A wishbone. The total was $220!!!!

heres the photos!

Attached Files:

20. Southfork

Southfork

Well, the old guy must like you pretty good.... Those are not today's prices. Good score!

21. Carter

Carter

Great score, man. That is indeed a 32 'heavy'. The perches and shackles are A. That headlight bar is awesome.

22. Yeah I'm really excited about the axle! I haven't decided wether I want to run un-split or spit wishbones, or hairpins. Right now I'm thinking split bones though...

dearjose likes this.
  23. Carter

Carter

Personally, I prefer unsplit wishbones whenever possible. It does everything you need it to with no panhard bars or extra parts. Just like Henry built em. Now if there are clearance problems and it is not an option to leave them unsplit, I'd do split bones.

24. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great score on the 32 heavy! That's less than what core A-axels are going for.

How much total drop are you figuring in the front (axle+crossmember+spring)?

25. well originally I was gonna use a reversed eye model A spring I have, but I kinda like that chrome one I just got so maybe just remove a few leaves and call it good. The front crossmember I'm using is from so-cal, and its supposed to give an inch of drop. I may eventually send the '32 heavy to 296 V8, I was thinking maybe a two inch drop? I hope that answers your question.

thanks,

26. The thing I was thinking about with the split wishbones is if I can find a '32 or '34 wishbone, I'll use it un-split because I'm using a '32 k-member. But if I can't find one I'll have to split a model A wishbone I already have.

27. I actually already have the bishop/tardel book, its great!

thanks,

28. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Double check the measurements provided in the book though, there were some misprints. If you do a search here you should catch most of them, including wishbone lengths by year. Its an outstanding book overall.

29. I think the crossmember I have is actually repro model A piece, that has a one inch drop over a stock one. I remember comparing it to the one in my A frame and it was lower.....

I think I have a lead on a '34 wishbone near me so I might be able to do un-split!