Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

View Poll Results: What was your favorite tech post?
1: Pinch Your Own Hiney 226 11.56%
2: Fix Your Axle 101 5.17%
3: Eye Surgery On The 53-55 F100 Grille 73 3.73%
4: The Half Brain Brake Bleeder 449 22.97%
5: Fadeaway Fenders 141 7.21%
6: Bead Roller Ideas 137 7.01%
7: Making a V'd Windshield 405 20.72%
8: Converting '32 to '34 Backing Plates To Bendix 106 5.42%
9: Giving the Repro 32 Dash Some Style 68 3.48%
10: Save That Sweet Horn 82 4.19%
11: Simplifying Suspension 167 8.54%
Voters: 1955. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Tech Week: VOTE NOW!!!!!

Well fellas... We've had two weeks of tech posts and now it's time to pick a winner. We will let this run for a week and then, at the end of that time, the winner will officially be known as a lucky bastard thanks to:

Baileigh Industrial ($1000 in Baileigh Bucks)

Legacy Industrial ($200 Gift Certificate)

Gear Drive Speed & Custom (a set of SBC headers)

So, what are you waiting for? VOTE NOW!

Here are your nominations:

1. Pinch your own hiney.

2. Fix your axle.

3. Eye Surgery for 53-55 F100 Grilles.

4. The Half Brain Brake Bleeder.

5. Fadeaway Fenders.

6. Bead Roller Ideas.

7. Making a V'd Windshield.

8. Converting '32 to '34 Backing Plates to Bendix Style.

9. Giving the Repro 32 Dash Some Style.

10. Save That Sweet Horn.

11. Simplifying Suspension

As always, I want to thank everyone that contributed to another great tech week. Even if you weren't nominated, you are most appreciated as a guy that doesn't sit on the fence - good on ya!

And, of course, a special thanks to our sponsors for making this happen. You fellas rule!

VOTING WILL CLOSE ON MONDAY (MARCH 26) AT 10AM CENTRAL. SHARP!

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com

Last edited by Ryan; 03-21-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Cali4niaCruiser

Default Re: Tech Week: VOTE NOW!!!!!

Well shucks, I sure am bummed I didn't make it into the top 10 errr 11. I didn't know there were going to be cuts. It seems kinda lame that the ENTIRE hamb community couldn't make the decision who would be on the top 11. Whats the problem with having a poll with all 41 the entries?

I thought for SURE I would see Ian's $20 steering colum on there! I thought that his article was an excellent example of what tech week is about. Genious, low buck, resourcefull, clean.

Anyone else a little sore about the cuts?

Ah well, back to the drawing board. Time to quit my crying...
Old 03-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4niaCruiser View Post
Well shucks, I sure am bummed I didn't make it into the top 10 errr 11. I didn't know there were going to be cuts. It seems kinda lame that the ENTIRE hamb community couldn't make the decision who would be on the top 11. Whats the problem with having a poll with all 41 the entries?

I thought for SURE I would see Ian's $20 steering colum on there! I thought that his article was an excellent example of what tech week is about. Genious, low buck, resourcefull, clean.

This is the way we've always done it man... I guess next time we can do all entries if you all want too, but keep in mind it's going to make for one hella long poll. Come to think of it, I don't know how large of a poll our forum software will support. I'll look into it... and it's fine by me.

Ryan Cochran

www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Cali4niaCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
This is the way we've always done it man... I guess next time we can do all entries if you all want too, but keep in mind it's going to make for one hella long poll. Come to think of it, I don't know how large of a poll our forum software will support. I'll look into it... and it's fine by me.
Yesterday, I made a poll that had all the entries on it and it was deleted.
My aploigies, didn't know that there was going to be an offical one. I figured since the contest ended on the 15th the poll would start on the 16th. By the 18th and still no poll, I figured I should make one. After all in shane's instuctions he said "you will make a poll". I guess I took that too literal. I will admit, my activity on this site has always been very minimal and I didn't even know tech week had happened in years past until I started reading this years threads. So I'm not real familiar with the traditions of the contest. I just thought that it was a contest for the all the members, judged by all the members. Boy I'm starting to sound bitchy!
But almost 2k worth of awesome stuff has me pouting and stomping my feet like a little boy denied his fruity pebbles at the grocery store! But I waaaant it!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Yesterday, I made a poll that had all the entries on it and it was deleted.
My aploigies, didn't know that there was going to be an offical one. I figured since the contest ended on the 15th the poll would start on the 16th. By the 18th and still no poll, I figured I should make one. After all in shane's instuctions he said "you will make a poll". I guess I took that too literal. I will admit, my activity on this site has always been very minimal and I didn't even know tech week had happened in years past until I started reading this years threads. So I'm not real familiar with the traditions of the contest. I just thought that it was a contest for the all the members, judged by all the members. Boy I'm starting to sound bitchy!
But almost 2k worth of awesome stuff has me pouting and stomping my feet like a little boy denied his fruity pebbles at the grocery store! But I waaaant it!
No sweat... Next time we do it, by god... there will be no nominations. I'll just make one huge ass poll... So long as it doesn't get to hairy.

Ryan Cochran

Old 03-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
metalix_421
Alliance Member

I love tech week. hats off to all the guys that put something up this week. lots of great ideas.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
GEBHARD
Alliance Member

That was a tough decision there was some good ones!, good luck
Everybody

Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Brog
Grenade Inspector

Wow the results are close. I went with the V'd windshield, beautiful work
Old 03-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Ian Berky
Old School HAMBer

Quote:

Thanx man... was pretty disappointed too!!! Went way out of my way to take pics at suppliers, I had already done one column, but thought i would make another one on my dime to show how i did it, but oh well... I guess it's too amateur for this site!!!! Your floors do look great Jordan and i guess that's what matters most!!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
dickster27
Old School HAMBer

What I find interesting is that who's to say that one that didn't make the cut would have been a winner??? I ask this because I had my pick all ready to go, now it's gone. Maybe this is the reason that no more submit than do for tech week, you suppose? Or possibly why the vote count is always very small.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Berky View Post
Thanx man... was pretty disappointed too!!! Went way out of my way to take pics at suppliers, I had already done one column, but thought i would make another one on my dime to show how i did it, but oh well... I guess it's too amateur for this site!!!! Your floors do look great Jordan and i guess that's what matters most!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickster27 View Post
What I find interesting is that who's to say that one that didn't make the cut would have been a winner??? I ask this because I had my pick all ready to go, now it's gone. Maybe this is the reason that no more submit than do for tech week, you suppose? Or possibly why the vote count is always very small.
Not to sound huffy, but damn fellas... We could just stop doing tech weeks altogether... I mean, at least we have them and we work pretty hard to make it as best we can.

And Dick, as for vote count... I don't think we've had less than a thousand votes in a few years. That's pretty damned impressive actually. So impressive, that we get better and better awards every time we do one. You won't find another forum that gets as much participation as ours.

But I hear your concerns and, like I said, next time we won't have nominations at all.

Ryan Cochran

Old 03-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
25Thobbyist
FNG

Last tech week I worked really hard on an article. Took my time, lots of pictures, etc. And then, I didn't make the cut.

I didn't care as that's not why I did it. And it was obvious mine wasn't as compelling as the winner.

As soon as big prizes, money and things like that get involved, you see the other side of people. It's predictable.

Thanks for what you do Ryan. I really appreciate it and love tech week. Keep doing what you are doing.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25Thobbyist View Post
Last tech week I worked really hard on an article. Took my time, lots of pictures, etc. And then, I didn't make the cut.

I didn't care as that's not why I did it. And it was obvious mine wasn't as compelling as the winner.

As soon as big prizes, money and things like that get involved, you see the other side of people. It's predictable.

Thanks for what you do Ryan. I really appreciate it and love tech week. Keep doing what you are doing.
It's not the money or the prizes in my opinion. It's just that these guys work hard on these articles and, understandably, want recognition. I get that side.

It's not really that big of a deal as a fix is easy enough. No more nominations.

Ryan Cochran

Old 03-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
36coupe
FNG

I love tech week. Thanks Ryan. And thanks to the sponsors too.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
SamIyam
Old School HAMBer

I feel Ryan's pain!

And contributed to it this morning...

I run a school... and when you try to do something that you feel is beneficial to the kids, teachers will always let you know if it's something that a) Isn't really going to help the kids. or b) Is something that IS going to help, but it is more work for THEM.

When "b" happens, you have to step back and make a descision... and awefully times, that can be hard.

Personally... I wish I could have voted THREE times.

For mine... of course.

But also for the fixing the axle one... it's so very timely for me. I have TWO axles that need that fix... and now I know how!

And, the half brain brake bleeder! That tech is just genius.

I gave them both props... very well done.

Thanks for doign this Ryan, and putting up with our crap.

Sam

Last edited by SamIyam; 03-19-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
Tman
Old School HAMBer

Some of you guys could be handed a truck full of beer and the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and STILL bitch since you drink Scotch and like the Patriots!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
Cali4niaCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
It's not the money or the prizes in my opinion. It's just that these guys work hard on these articles and, understandably, want recognition. I get that side.

It's not really that big of a deal as a fix is easy enough. No more nominations.
I couldn't agree more Ryan. I felt kinda scummy even complaining at all. I really just wanted to see how I measured up against a the colosal group of talent the hamb has to offer. I thought....maybe....I might have some underdog chance to squeak out a win. I hope the other guys dont take my complaining as a stab at you. I think a contest like this in absolutely shit economic times is awesome! A glimmer of hope that good things can happen to a normal Joe with a good idea. Thank you to all the sponsors!

As for me, now I have to cook something up for the Allmetalshaping.com or the Metalmeet.com contest. But crap the competition is stiff over there! I'm buying metal shaping DVD's from the guys I'll be competing against!
Wait...I know!
How to make a recessed firewall by bashing it against my own forehead!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
BAILEIGH INC
Alliance Vendor

C'mon guys!
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Metal Shaping Heaven www.baileighindustrial.com

Click Here For Serious Metal Fabrication Equipment
Old 03-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
Cross Rodder
Grenade Inspector

That was tuff...great stuff everyone!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
brad chevy
Old School HAMBer

I always thought tech week was to show your ideas and to inform all the Hamb members how to do things they need to know how to with shortcuts and great ideas. If the only reason any Hamb member does it for is to win a prize and be put on a petestal doesn't really know what this forum is all about. Winning and whineing kinda look alike but there is a big difference.
Closed Thread