Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958/1959 Chevrolet Apache- For Free!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64LeSabre455, Mar 17, 2012.

1. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

The back story.
    Every Friday I take the long way home from work. I guess it is my time to unwind from the long work week. It gives me time to cruise the back roads, no radio, windows down. Just me and my thoughts!

Every time I drive by this property, that has a couple old cars parked next to an old abandoned house. I always wanted to stop and see if these vehicles were for sale, but I didn’t want to violate the homeowners’ privacy, or trespass on their property.

This Friday, I took my same leisurely drive down this back country road. As my mind wandered, I looked out of the corner of my eye, and I could see someone on a tractor, mowing the lawn. I passed the property, and immediately turned around.
    I pulled in to the property and introduced myself to the older Gentleman, I apologized for intruding and stated my interest in the old truck. I told him I had been looking for a 58/59 Apache for a while. He said no one had ever asked if it was for sale. He was unsure if he was going to sell or not. I asked if I could look at it, and he said go right ahead.

I examined the truck thoroughly and investigated all the known rust issues with these trucks. The bed had seen better days, rough around the edges, and rust holes all along the bed rails. There was a plywood sheet placed over the original bed, rotting it out completely. The cab looked solid, no rust in the cab corners, and no holes in the steps, some rot in the drip rails and above the front windshield. The doors are in pretty sad shape. They are completely rotted out along the bottom edge. The hood is like a cheese grater. The front fenders looked solid, especially around the eyebrows.
    After checking it out, the owner and I talked for about an hour. We covered the history on the truck, and chatted about the past. The original owner, said he moved from Las Vegas to Austin Texas back in 1975. He brought the truck with him, and parked it. The truck was last driven 4 years ago, and the starter was pulled to get rebuilt, never being placed back in the truck.

I told him the truck was a little rougher than I wanted, and I didn’t want to throw a price out there.
    He said “If you want it, you can have it!”
    It even comes with an extra bed!
    I’ll let the pictures do the talkin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was also in a shed sitting on the same property!
    [​IMG]

2. Yeah, looks a little rough...but hey, it's an original V8 '58 Shortbed Fleetside...and the price is right.

Hey, I just noticed that this is my 1,000th post! :D

3. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Cool score! Glad to hear it found a new home and won't rot away in a field with the old familiar "I'm gonna fix it one day" line.

4. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Looks like a lot of work...but can't beat a free truck!

5. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I've been looking for a pair of those wheel wells that fit in the bed if you want to sell a couple of extras

6. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

free is free grab it and make some cash or build it

7. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

free is free and if you got the room, after all you were willing to pay for it right? do it Smithers!

8. AZbent

AZbent

It is priced right, freeeeee. Enjoy the build.

9. Does the toilet come with the truck?

10. richie rebel

richie rebel

you can't beat free.............

11. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I offered to pay for it, but I didn't want to offend him by shooting out a lowball offer. I wanted him to come up with a price and he said if I wanted it I could have it!

I sure hope so!;)

12. Israel Casarez

Israel Casarez
    from Inglewood

13. belair

belair

Congrats-I really like the Fleetsides. But remember-there's nosuch thing as a free puppy or a free car. Have fun with it.

14. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

Dont let them fool you theres plenty of free shit out there. I got a 79 ta out of a field for free got it running and traded it for my 1959 apache 32. Free is the best price. Everyone who pays is suckers!

15. Thumper

Thumper

Damn..........extra bed and a free shitter.......ya' can't beat that ! :D

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Tell us about the Galaxie. What? only a 427 and two fours? also free? argh!!!!!!!

17. 1959apache

1959apache

cool man! What does it look like under the hood?

18. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

It has a 283 and 3spd, motor is complete, turns over by hand, and the battery looks new! Going to pick it up tomorrow. Im going to see about tryin to snag the galaxie also. I will offer a fair price on it!

19. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Cool story. Sounds like a cool guy you talked with.

20. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

So, I picked it up yesterday! We had to pull it out of the ground with a tractor! I think it sat a little longer than the original owner stated.
    [​IMG]
    Money spent so far! 42 dollars to get 4 tires mounted/balanced.
    [​IMG]
    I noticed there was some door art on it, but I can't quite make it out.
    On the door, I can make out "Rental Truck", but I don't know what it says above it.
    [​IMG]
    There is a #3 on the cowl, and something on the lower fender!
    [​IMG]

21. hotrodscott2003

hotrodscott2003

Neil...that looks like an old Cal Custom decal to me...! Nice score, free sometimes is a good thing!!!

22. that is a 58'! great score, 6cyl or v8?

23. cakes

cakes

That is an old cal custom decal, thats awesome, great find

24. You're more man than I to take on a project like that. Have fun task force brethren

25. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Thanks Scott!

Yep it's a 58. It has a 283 and a 3 spd! Motor turns by hand, and the oil looks good! Plan is to remove the motor and inspect it!

Yep, I don't know if it's more balls than brains!
    I have been in search of one of these for a while!

26. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

So it looks like this truck is going to pay me money!
    I found a set of exhaust manifolds in the truck. I looked up the numbers, and it look like they are for a 72-73 Z-28! Maybe I can sell them and earn a few bucks!

27. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Cool, the price is right for sure. Extra bed is a real sweet bonus too!
    Good luck

28. Congrats to a nice truck!! So, what's the story about the 63 Galaxie?

29. Brog

Brog

I hate you, so jealous. Nice find though haha

30. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Went back yesterday to pick up the other bed, it is a little soft along the bottom edges, It looks like I will have to use parts from both beds to make a solid bed. I also picked up a sweet sign, that would make good garage art.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have had a few pm's askin if I wanted to get rid of either bed, Sorry not right now, need to get everything together, then I'll see what I am going to do with the truck. It might be too much for me.

The 63 Galaxie is a 4dr post, with a 289?? and a manual trans. It is also pretty rusty.