Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #21
gnichols
Alliance Member

Default Re: Anyone run two 6 volt batteries in series for 12 volts?

A few more thoughts... multiple batteries add more wiring and therefore more connectors. Just a few more tid-bits to run / clamp, come loose or corrode in the overall system. I've only built two cars, but learning from both I'd say easy access / easy charging or jumping is far more important than location (or a well placed remote cut-off switch / charging plug) but placement is still a big consideration.

My first ride had a Moroso drag racing style battery box in the trunk and it was hidden by an interior panel. Trick I thought. Turns out... not so cool. It took about 8 screws to get the cosmetic panel and the box top off to reach the battery. A PITA for charging /jumps, and even more so with a load of crap in the trunk. I also had a set of those big red / black charging posts in the rear pan. I never had to use them, but if you do be sure to mount them far enough apart that you can't accidentally short them out when attaching the jumper cable clamps or if the clamps happen to rotate around the posts and touch.

The 27's battery is under the bed and has fairly easy access. I do have a weatherpack pig tail for trickle charging, but the jumper plug is still in the box. Unlike the big posts, I'll be using one of the smaller jumper plug sets sold for the trailer / RV guys this time. The only draw back is that I'll have to fab up a special set of jumper cables with one end to match the female plug in the truck.

The next build will have a quick release cover over the battery box (no fasteners) and unobstructed, quick access from above (while the cut-off / charge plug may still be mounted some place else). Having to crawl under the car or use a lift to reach / replace the battery makes no sense at all, IMHO, but at least a trap door of some sort in the floor improves that arrangement. Gary
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
BJR

53 Olds & 54 Buick used a long skinny 12 volt battery, why not use one skinny 12 volt instead of 2 skinny 6 volts?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
firstgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL__ View Post
I use these mounted to the frame rail, within easy reach, either from the hood opening or the wheel (if I turn it to the left). They are self-insulating, so you just drill a hole in the frame and mount them.

Those are nice to have!
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #24
DJCruiser
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
53 Olds & 54 Buick used a long skinny 12 volt battery, why not use one skinny 12 volt instead of 2 skinny 6 volts?
I had a Studebaker with the long skinny battery and got replacements from Caterpillar.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
Faus
Grenade Inspector

I go to Autozone, the guys there are good guys... Well the ones I live near. Most of them are car guys themselves; and they hook a guy up and help out if asked. Awesome dudes.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #26
sunfighter
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo View Post
Almost everything British in the 60's did that. Seems like there was a surplus of 6 volt batteries or something.

Cosmo
when my aunt came from England to live with us, she brought her metropolitan. had jumbo twin batteries in it.(didn't see the need for that kind of power to start a 4 cyl austin motor)so I asked her why, she said at the time it was law that any disabled vehicle had to have the capacity to leave parking lights on at all times.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
XXL__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faus View Post
I go to Autozone, the guys there are good guys... Well the ones I live near. Most of them are car guys themselves; and they hook a guy up and help out if asked. Awesome dudes.
We DEFINITELY have different Autozone staff than you.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
firstgear

Thanks everyone. The Braille battery while only about 460ccamps will fit and they make a decent battery holder for it (seriously over priced). Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Herb
Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #29
groundpounder
Alliance Member

Hey guys ..was reading on the battery situation here......notice them heavy expensive battery charging lugs. I've made my own charging lug posts.....using the smaller rubber valve stems,....making a mounting plate,...pulling the stem thru......removing the valve core and soldering a 10 Gage wire to the end where the core installs. The other end to battery. Screw the cap back on and it's covered.....
Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #30
MeanGene427

The long skinny ones like the IH tractors (and my little 6V Clark Trukloader forklift) used are also available in 12V- Tractor Supply has them in stock
Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #31
alphabet soup
Alliance Member

'63 caddy used a long thin 12 volt.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #32
japar
Grenade Inspector

I have been known to put 2 12s together in a series in the winter to start my diesel. 24v makes that sucker crank! Just don't use the cigarette lighter
Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #33
MeanGene427

Here ya go

http://www.tractorsupply.com/exide-h...y-f3ee-0470556
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #34
pasadenahotrod
Old School HAMBer

The group size of the long skinny 12V battery is 3EE most commonly used in forklifts. My old T roadster had one in it standing on the rear frame rail inside the abbreviated pickup bed between the "tailgate and the 28 Chevrolet gas tank. Easy to reach, easy to service, easy to remove.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #35
hd4unm
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod View Post
Many of the British sports cars had a pair of 6V batteries in series mounted one on each side of the car: Jag XK120, 140, 150, MGA, MGB and others. Very common in Euro cars back when.
No challenge to pasadenahotrod, but just a point...that may help the OP.

I'm not a Euro guy but a friend had a '70 Porche 911 with two batts. They were well place in the nose (as many know) on opposite sides. I expect it was engineered that way as ballast/balance and not to add voltage but accommodate what they needed and enhance the car.

If I had to consider your options... I'd look at all the options and impact; maint. (number of connections, etc.), cost, weight, appearance, what else?
Personally, one batt is enough for me if it does the job.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #36
Dads426
FNG

Your 12-volt battery is really six 2-volt batteries (or cells) wired in series internally. Using two 6-volt batteries is acceptable as long as they are the same type. Very common in solar power systems. I've run 60 2-volt batteries in series for 120 VDC systems.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #37
dan c
Alliance Member

i've heard that the theory behind two 6v batteries is that they provide more cranking power. a buddy had a 59 mga with that setup and the biggest bummer was that the batteries sometimes fell over!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #38
big daddy Raleigh
Grenade Inspector

You could run two 12v motorcycle batteries in parallel. Wiring batteries in parallel batteries adds the amps- wiring in series adds the voltage.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #39
40FordGuy
Old School HAMBer

GM did that with the 53 Cadillac Fleetwood "limo" body cars; Worked great.

4TTRUK
Old 07-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #40
mike in tucson
Grenade Inspector

How many flashlight batteries placed end to end in a round tube would it take to start a SBC?