Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #61
MUNDSTER
Grenade Inspector

White paint works good for tailights, headlights are a whole different deal.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #62
bobj49f2

Default Re: DIY Spray On Chrome

Do you know how close the products you're experimenting with are to silver plating like originally used on the reflectors? I do understand it's not the same, the silver plating process, I'm assuming, is like chrome plating. I talked to a couple of places that do the silver plating, $80-100 a piece, and they've told me there is no coating that can be applied that won't diminish the reflective properties of silver. There is a place that is mentioned quite often, Uvira in OR, who applies an aluminum coating and covers it with a glass coating, this is the only procedure I've read about that a protective coating is applied.

Caswell has a couple of products they say are good to use on reflectors, have you checked them out?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #63
nicamarvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj49f2 View Post
Do you know how close the products you're experimenting with are to silver plating like originally used on the reflectors? I do understand it's not the same, the silver plating process, I'm assuming, is like chrome plating. I talked to a couple of places that do the silver plating, $80-100 a piece, and they've told me there is no coating that can be applied that won't diminish the reflective properties of silver. There is a place that is mentioned quite often, Uvira in OR, who applies an aluminum coating and covers it with a glass coating, this is the only procedure I've read about that a protective coating is applied.

Caswell has a couple of products they say are good to use on reflectors, have you checked them out?
well its silver plating(not electroplating but catalized plating instead, it maight work, donīt know untill I try it)

I have not tried Caswell reflector products, but I bought their Super Chrome powder coat and a ceramic chrome like coating for hight temp items..

here check the Final Video of me Spray On Chroming with my DIY kit..

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #64
GaryB
Alliance Member

looks pretty good,your up close and touchy,feely. what do you think?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #65
nicamarvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
looks pretty good,your up close and touchy,feely. what do you think?
thanks..
Old 03-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #66
Jalopy Journalist
Grenade Inspector

That Hydro Chrome system is pretty cool. I have to agree that it looks better than the systems that use paint guns and air compressors, but that is a tiny little matchbox car, not a very good show and tell.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #67
nicamarvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy Journalist View Post
That Hydro Chrome system is pretty cool. I have to agree that it looks better than the systems that use paint guns and air compressors, but that is a tiny little matchbox car, not a very good show and tell.
thatīs why I had to step up the game...

I am sure I can do a wheel rim using one bottle on each hand...
Old 03-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #68
nicamarvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy Journalist View Post
Iīm not using the Hydro Chrome system, but its a very similar one. the Hydro Chrome System is from the UK I think..

this is how it looks after dry time..
Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #69
bobj49f2

I hoping this works out. I have a few inside trim pieces that I could use this on.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #70
nicamarvin

Quote:
I hoping this works out. I have a few inside trim pieces that I could use this on.
Practice makes perfect.. I used Plastic spoons and used them till I had the perfect mirror. believe me you will not do this right the first time heck it could take you a while, but donīt give up. I never did, and Iīve been wanting this for such a long time(since 2009).. at first I wasted all of chemicals and I obtained nothing but a heartache. but I never gave up, I started again knowing it could be done.

below quote its from 2009 ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164293 )
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicamarvin View Post
Hi to you all guys, I am in the prosses of building a SMALL "Spray On Chrome System" like the guys from Alsa Corps, but way way more cheaper, I have all my ideas in my head and actually have bought some products, but if you have any more ideas on the progect please let me know.....
heck I built a hand crafted dual headed Spray gun to spray the Silver. it works but the Hand trigger bottles are so much better I have yet to dust out my old gun...
Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #71
bobj49f2

I really appreciate what you have done and the money you've spent trying to perfect this system. It is saving all of us a fortune.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #72
nicamarvin

Quote:
I really appreciate what you have done and the money you've spent trying to perfect this system. It is saving all of us a fortune.

Thanks
no problemo.! I just know somebody will try this and fail a few times and get a hearache like I did, thaīts why Iīm here, Iīll help you out as I have learn the hardway untill I got that perfect mirror you see in that plastic bike headlight cover.

my cousing will be racing that motorbike and it will have a few other items chromed and people will see them and love them(I already have my first sell)
Old 03-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #73
nicamarvin

just a few update
pics..

Iīll post pics of this bike in a few months to see how it has held up to the road..

Last edited by nicamarvin; 03-16-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #74
bobj49f2

The front of the bike looks like the perfect test enviroment for it. If it can hold up in that location it should hold up almost anywhere on a car.

If it works out you're gonna get BIG chrome really pissed off
Old 03-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #75
nicamarvin

Quote:
The front of the bike looks like the perfect test enviroment for it. If it can hold up in that location it should hold up almost anywhere on a car.
True. thatīs why it has 2 tinted coats(purple to nullify the natural yellowish color silver has) and and 2 none tinted 2k Urethane clear coat. I know it will get small scratches like all paints do, but with a light buff and it should be fine, and after a few years another light coat of clear should be fine.

Quote:
If it works out you're gonna get BIG chrome really pissed off
well Iīm glad I am in Nicaragua where there is only one Big chrome shop and it belongs to my dad, and we are working together as of now, I will be "Chroming" the plastic parts and he will do the metal parts(except for old pot metal)...

just to clarify: I received the Alsa Spray On Chrome Fx Pump system, but I got two part B(one labeled as Part A) so I could not test how good their system, but from the few experiments I have done with what I have from them(top coat, sensitizer) their system seems to be of the highest quality, their tinted(right tone of purple) top coat is spot on, and is tinted using kandy tones instead of color paint which is what I do, infact the one I did before getting my packages was not the right tone but thanks to their clear I got the right tone and I can mix my onw clear now. their sensitizer seems to work faster and leaves a whiter tone instead of the natural silver tone you will find in mirrors(the chemicals I use are to spray silver mirrors), one issue I have with them is the amount you have to pay for so little coverage, out of all of their system(including their $8,000 one) this is the most expencive money Sq/f whise...Iīm just sad I could not fully test their system.. the last I heard was that they were going to send me another package but I havenīt heard back from them in a few days.. Iīll keep you posted if I get the chance to test them out.

Last edited by nicamarvin; 03-17-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #76
nicamarvin

Quote:
The front of the bike looks like the perfect test enviroment for it.
how about that bikeīs shock absorber covers..

Blue Chrome..
Old 03-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #77
Johnunit

Million dollar question:

As someone who works in plating, do YOU think this is a process that a patient and thorough amateur/semi-pro could make convincing (say from 5-10 feet away) chrome with? How big a piece could one get a convincing chrome replication on? A chrome mirror? Door handle? bumper? A set of chrome letters (think 1960s F-O-R-D on hood)?
Old 03-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #78
Gasolinedeniz

intresting
Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #79
bobj49f2

Unless there is durable clear finish proved I don't think this process would work for exterior parts, especially a part that is on the front of a vehicle where it's exposed to a rough environment. I think for interior parts this could be the answer.

I'm really interested in seeing how this holds up on the motorcycle. It would be great if it holds up. If it can take a beating and can be used on a bumper or grill that would be great. It may not have the exact appearance as real chrome but for a non show car it just might be the ticket. I think it would look a lot better than painted trim.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #80
nicamarvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnunit View Post
Million dollar question:

As someone who works in plating, do YOU think this is a process that a patient and thorough amateur/semi-pro could make convincing (say from 5-10 feet away) chrome with?
Yes ofcourse, it takes practice to get the right tone, as Silver is not chrome and does not share its bluish tone, Silver is a softer warmer tone, so how you tint the clear coat its how its going to look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnunit View Post
How big a piece could one get a convincing chrome replication on? A chrome mirror? Door handle? bumper? A set of chrome letters (think 1960s F-O-R-D on hood)?
let me tell you something, the spray on Chrome(Silver) its a great alternative to real chrome, but thatīs only when you want to reproduce chrome, now it does not have the same limitations as real chrome so the sky its the limit when you go out of the box, say somebody wants green chrome in his 12 feet tall statue? no prob, say somebody wants to chrome his wood chair? no prob, somebody wants to chrome his entire car in pink chrome? No problemo.. you see this process can go anywhere and size does not matter, just how deep is the customerīs pocket...

so it may come second to chrome but its socond to none in things chrome canīt be done...
Closed Thread