Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 Chevy Chop- Finally In Process

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by JVK54, Feb 22, 2012.

1. JVK54

JVK54

After a bit of a setback we are on our way with the actual chop. ( Stripping paint off the roof turned into a fiasco of bondoed - tree damage, dents and creases that resulted in much enthusiastic hammer, dolly shrinking wheel activity and a small patch to massage the roof back into shape- Here's the thread on those repairs-
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660192&highlight=50+chevy+chop
    This is my first chop and there is no way I would be able to do it without my good friend Jon Sniger (metalinnovations here on the HAMB) walking point and guiding the way, the support of my club (Ring Reckers ) and the patience of my wife Channin and son, Sam...
    My hope is that this chop will be ALL about flow, and sexy lines..yet restrained . I'm not after a hammered look that is radical but out of proportion..I am after a "traditional" 50s lead sled Chevy vibe
    Anyway we started off with a 4" chop on the A and B pillars and are eyeballing the rear. ( we had initially measured for 3 1/2" but I had a gut feeling change of heart on the way to the shop...Jon agreed -so we remeasured to 4" and I'm real glad about that because so far I am very happy with the way things sit), The package tray and rear seat supports have been completely removed to accommodate the rear glass moving forward and laying down. I initially was going to pitch the b pillars and decided against it because it creates such an issue with fully functional rear glass and it would drive me nuts not to be able to open all my windows all the way. I drive the wheels off my cars and love the breeze and the sound of the road . I'm not runnin' a 235 with dual Fentons&glasspacks not to be able to fully hear it..not to mention my friends cars when we roll together. Love that stuff. I was also planning on removing the driprails..BUT, now that I look at it, I think they are gonna stay.Last but not least YES, I know the stance is not quite right- For now this as a simple , static drop(no bags, c-notch or tunnel mods this year) I'm running 3" cut coils(Jamco) up front and am fine with where the nose sits.But the 3" blocks in back are not giving me enough drop. I've decided to add 3" dropped springs (Posies) and then fine tune with the blocks if needed once the settle, So, in the words of the great Mr.T, "Enough of that jibba-jabba.I pity the fool who don't post some pics!"
    [​IMG]
    Here we go-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BAM!
    [​IMG]

2. JVK54

JVK54

[​IMG]

We are now concentrating on an area at a time (starting up front and working back) First we line up and tacked the A pillars. Nice to see how the windshield is gonna look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Are you taking 4" out of the glass or 4" vertically? Taking it out of the glass gives less actual chop so you will still get a rake to the roof if you want that . Looking good. I'll probably be doing the same this next winter
    Hans

4. JVK54

JVK54

I'm not exactly sure I understand the question. But cut around the rear glass, then took 4" out of the A and B pillars, then cut the rear glass area and catwalk free, laid it back in and made eyeball prelim sailpanel cuts( the sailpanels will be totally replaced)..and then cut out the luggage lid and rear set backing. The rake will come from the c pillars and the way the rear glass lays down. We were going to pancake the roof a bit as well. But as it stands now, I don't think it will be necessary.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

5. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Nice work Jesse! Perfect amount of chop and great lines! Looking forward to seeing this come together

6. glassguy

glassguy

looking really good!!!!!!!

7. richie rebel

richie rebel

now you guys are cooking,looking good..........

8. cederholm

cederholm

Nice! That chop looks awesome!

9. farmer12

farmer12

Great chop, well done!

10. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Good to see you makin some chop progress!!

12. JVK54

JVK54

Finally got the stance sitting where I dig it. 3" cut jamcos up front /"3 dropped Posie sliders with 3" blocks in back. Seems to be a decent amount of clearance . But, I have no idea if it will go up my driveway..might have to move.
    [​IMG]

13. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Stance is looking a lot better. very tasteful chop.

Please dont load this car with lakepipes, 59 caddy taillights, visors, etc. keep it clean and refined. Also, I think that fender/door trim looks fantastic on there IMO

Looking forward to more progress :)

14. JVK54

JVK54

Thanks 51.We have similar tastes and clean and refined is exactly the end result we are going for.The only trim beside the spears will be beltline and the possibly rocker trim. The taillights may be 50 ford mounted vertically and frenched. Headlights eventually will be simple, clean frenched. NO visor, dummy spots, curb feelers, maltese crosses or flying shrunken devil heads...Lakes Pipes?..I dunno..But if I run 'em they will work when uncapped. I'm definitely not into sticking anything on this car that does not have a purpose or does not flow.

15. I just meant if you took 4inches out of the A pillar itself then the actual vertical drop will be less tha 4 inches due to the angle of the windshield/A pillar...say 3.5 inches for example...So, if you take 4 inches out of your B pillar, this will give you some rake you want to your roof....you don't want all your rake to come from your rear glass section as it will create a 'hump' at the rear of your roof. For some reason the pics aren't showing up for me so I can't get a good look at it...but sounds like your OK. Basically if you need to cut 4 inches of glass out of your windshield and you took 4 inches of B pillar, your roof itslef will be raked an not come straight down...which is what you want ...

16. lawman

lawman

Veery Very nice work !!!

17. JVK54

JVK54

Ahhh..OK Hans..now I get it.

18. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

a chop did make this ride look better cant wait to see it complete , nice work

19. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

20. JVK54

JVK54

Made some b-pillar progress last night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Really excited about the way the overall flow is shaping up. Lots to do, but inspired as hell. Thanks again to Jon for all the hard work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Very, very nice.
    Keep it up.

22. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

Holy Crap!!! this is looking good!!!

23. Moosejuice

Moosejuice

The chop is looking great, you have a really good eye for the flow of the car.

24. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

badass dude! Looks great

25. banditomerc

banditomerc

Very nice lines .keep it comin brother,looking good.

26. DMacias

DMacias
    from So Cal

Very nice work!

27. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

Nice chop looking good

28. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

29. jetslide

jetslide