Register now to get rid of these ads!

Houdaille Shock Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dakota, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Looking for some input on Rebuilding these. is it possible to do yourself? I see rebuilts out there for about 150 Each and up from there.

Anyone have experience with these? any reccomedations? The ones i have are in good shape and are free, but leak.

Thanks!

2. Ruiner

Ruiner

Funny, just saw your post on Facebook and immediately thought "Someone just posted something about rebuilding these on the HAMB"...false alarm, apparently :p...

3. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

hahaha, yea just looking for some info... If i can do it myself i will, but if not i guess ill somewhere...

would just like to know if anyone has some experience with any pof the places that ive found online that rebuilds them, they are just damn expensive...

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I would like to know this myself..

5. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

If you are on the Fordbarn send Bill Wzorek a PM. He does shock rebuilding and is located in Mass. He may be able to give you a run down on what it takes to do them.

6. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

anyone else got some input?

7. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

M&S Hydraulics in Oregon,They've done a couple sets for me, no problems

8. alchemy

alchemy

Here's a copy of the manual telling you how to do it:

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Ford/Haudaille/index.html

Yes I know they spelled the name wrong. And supposedly there is a page missing somewhere in there. But if you can get even part way into this rebuild, I bet you are smart enough to make do without the missing page.

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

From what I've read yesterday of different websites covering the rebuilds it's a major pain in the ass since each shock is made individually with no interchangeable parts...personally, if I'm gonna go through the trouble of rebuilding 4 of them and doing machining to fix them I'd make all new parts and make them all the same, which would be ridiculously time consuming...if someone offers a rebuild service with a warranty I'd be tempted to go that route rather than spending countless hours blueprinting each shock, modifying them and making new internals...

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've been looking for a set ofr my '33 for a couple months and the money has never been there when I did find a few sets. I can't believe Im going to have more in those shocks then I will have in a '32 Heavy, Spindles and a wishbone!!!

I'm paying attention though and learning as much as I can for when the time is right...

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Rod&Custom did an article on doing this within the last year or so. You need a special "wrench" to undo the face of them, but beyond that it didn't look too hard to do.

ChoppingBlockCustoms likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

I have bought NOS Houdaille shocks for $5 each before. They usually are from a 50's Studebaker or somesuch, but they are the same thing as old Ford once you switch the arms. Keep your eyes open at the swap meets.

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I've been watching for a good pair too at swapmeets but have yet to come up with anything.

Rebuilding them involves dynomite, a forty foot long breaker bar and the personal approval of Jesus.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This place will do them, and I do believe you need some special tools to do them at home. Sometimes the arms are REALLY REALLY hard to get off, as well.

http://www.classicautoshocks.com/

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Often, if the shock arm is moveable a little bit of heat will reliquify the original Glycerin mix fluid and allow you to pour it out through the fill port. Unscreww the fill port and bolt the shock upside down and heat the shiock body with a butane torch. You're not looking for any new color in the steel just to liquify the existing fluid which has dried/coagulated over the years. Work the arm as the fluid begins to run out.
    Refill with hydraulic jack oil and if it doesn't leak you may a set of shocks that work just fine.

Berry Griffin likes this.
  16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn't heating the body risk damaging the seals?

18. Ruiner

Ruiner

I thought they were built individually to be such a tight fit between parts to not need seals?...

19. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Just buy rear MGB lever shocks

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe, not sure. Seems like there should be some type of rotary seal in there.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Alchemy. GREAT link.

22. IF they're Model A, there's a video available from either MARC or MAFCA showing the steps. Specifically went to a restorer meeting just to see it.

If they're V8's I'm SOL.

23. Columbus Snake

Columbus Snake

I see brand new Lever Arm Shocks for Fords that are being carried by MAC's. They look like Houdaille Shocks (same fit and function) except they are factory sealed and do not take new oil. Does anyone have any experience with these?

24. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

After five years snake didn't get an answer to that question. I bought a car that had them on it. They were used for less than a thousand miles and one failed utterly while the others are way not uniform in their snubbing making them only slightly better than nothing. While not really cheap, I have since found enough rebuilt take offs that allowed me to replace those poor examples of Houdailles. At the Orange As pancake breakfast there was a Model A chassis offered to raffle that boasted "all original" with a set of the bogus shocks. I tried to warn the club members that they were beyond not original. I was advised to move along as club experts had found the shocks to be original. I left the event before the drawing. Good luck: Fred A