Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 53' Victoria Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lincolnhead, Feb 19, 2012.

1. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

Good evening HAMB! This is my 1953 victoria that I am going to start tearing into.

100% stock, running flatty, 3 speed. interior is in all there, knobs you name it.

I'm thinking of a static drop. 3 inch blocks in the rear and aerostar springs in the front.

First up is a paint strip and rust repair. Floors are in good condition. Trunk is solid, Rusty rockers and fender corners.

Clearing out the garage to have space to have all the parts laid out. ( wife aint gonna like that :) )Once i start the tear down this weekend ill post more pics of it.

thx

-Chris

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

Also know where i can find patch panels of this old girl?

3. Best of luck to you on your project ,by the look of those rear quarters you have some major repairs to do...

4. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

thanks! for the links! this is going to be a fun time with my welder and cutoff wheel. :p

5. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

Its not much but im still on crutches so... :) pulled the trim on the front fender and took it to bare metal to see what was under there.

then hit it with flat black rust-o paint. Gonna work it a little at a time. From to back left to right.

should hit the door tomorrow.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

don't push yourself too much so you can get off crutches sooner. cool project

7. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

forgot to attach the pics.

Attached Files:

8. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Very nice, I really like '53's. The last of the flatties. Keep up the great work.

9. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

thinking about putting 54 trim and keeping the 53 rear trim on... thoughts?

10. havi

havi

There's a '53 Victoria in our local junkyard I keep wanting to get. These are great looking cars.

11. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

My very first car back in 1958 was a 53 Vicky, great car. I dropped the front by flipping the spindle supports and de-arching the rear springs. Went through a couple of flat heads and several three speeds. Loved that car.

Rex

Attached Files:

• 4093.jpg
      4093.jpg
      File size:
      63.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4092.jpg
      4092.jpg
      File size:
      117.7 KB
      Views:
  12. skoh73

skoh73

Beautiful Ford Rex! Thanks for the pictures.

13. sololobo

sololobo

The great 50th Anniversary Vicky, looks like a sweet ride, please keep the 53 grill, the worlds most beautiful ribbed for your pleasure, bullet center grill bar. Rex, great to see the red Vicky, was always one of my faves in our old Grand Island cruzin days. I have a buddy with one that he is stalled on and talkin about sellin. Rock on dudes. ~sololobo~

14. Here's my High School car about 1963 or so. I loved that car but hated the flathead.

Attached Files:

15. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Nice 53 ford ! Really cool cars!

16. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

im gonna keep the 53 grill i just would like to replace the 53 trim with 54 trim and still keep the rear trim as well.

update! its going to the blasters this week. wife came out complaining about the dust and with a new born in the house... she told me to buck up and spend the dough and keep the dist outta the garage!

17. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

My new score on CL. picked this set up, owner bottles 5 different tips from cutting to welding tips. face shields and rods.

gonna be used for leading the body.

also scored some vintage body files and curved sanding blocks and a snap on DA. all for the grand total of 100.00 god i love craigslist.

still trying to find some paddles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  18. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

3 inch lowering blocks just came in :) super stoked! thanks to everyone on the H.A.M.B. that recommended the 3 inch over the 4". and where to get them from!

-Chris

Attached Files:

19. pumpkindunkin

pumpkindunkin

Nice Car Chris, Looks Like It'll Be A Lot Of Fun For You & Your Buddies., Great CL Score Too!

20. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

Yea you better be helping me lol. wife's already got a room for you to crash in.

21. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

You have blocks for the rear, what are you planning for the front? Or is it going to be a tail dragger?

Rex

22. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

i have aerostar springs for the front. from the threads i have read here it should get me down another 3 inches. Also the reason I went with the 3 inch blocks instead of the 4" is i dont have to tunnel the rear yet.... i'm still debating on going bags.

Thoughts?

-Chris

23. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Chris,
    There are actually a couple of ways that are fairly easy, one is to knock out the rivets that hold the lower spring plate to the lower A arm, then add a 1 to 1-1/2 inch spacer block between the A arm and the plate, replace the rivets with good grade 8 bolts and "Bobs your uncle"!

The other way, which I did on my 53, is to take off the spindle supports and turn them upside down and then put the left side on the right and the right side on the left. Now getting alignment can be a challenge, I had a friend that worked at an alignment shop and he used the "blue wrench" to heat them and bend into alignment. I put over 75,000 miles on the car with that set up and never had a problem, except it was damn low.

Your springs sound like a good idea also, especially if you can get 3 inches out of them, you will have to trim the bump rubbers.

Rex

24. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

Rex,

Thank you for the information!. i wonder what it would look like with a flip spindle drop and 3" inch lowering coils.

UPDATE: i finally got off Crutches and am no mobile!

let the paint stripping begin.

25. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

Also looking for a 56 buick bumper *hint hint.

26. here's my old Vic....a HAMBer has finally got it now and has 'er back on the show road...

Imported Photos 00001.JPG

27. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

Dude what a great start. Nice work going to keep up with this post...

28. Torchie

Torchie

Always had a soft spot for 53 Vics. I owned one back in the 70's that was customized by the Clarkaiser shop in Detroit in the mid fifties. That one was chopped. The Rikster has pics of it on his custom site. Glad to say that the car is still around even though I no longer own it.

29. Squablow

Squablow

I've got a '56 Special parts car with bumpers, you need a front or rear? Shipping might kill it, but not necessarily, I can check.