Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
Slick's Speed Shop
FNG

Default Re: 1953 chevy 210 rear axle swap...help!

Be carefull using 55-57 rear ends. Could break easy and cause you to invest too much money into them...even if you are not drag racing. Not many replacement pumpkins around like ford 9". I would use all new hardware and spring perches. You will probably break the U-bolts and cut away too much of your perches trying to get them off the housing and out of your car anyways...trailer supply stores have perches around $4 each that will work with 3" housings and for the width of your leafs...good luck.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
Gambino_Kustoms
Alliance Vendor

what ever you do use make sure its 60 inchs from drum face (or wheel mounting serface ) to drum face im running a posi nova rear thats 58'' it was free so i used it and worked out realy bgood when i desided to run skirts we always use stock 50's chevy wheels or wheels made to same offset and width

first gen camero
4x4 s10
alot of nova rear ends are 58" ( what im running )
tri 5 chevys is an easy fix
also with stock springs the locating pin is in the wrong place its about 2'' forward
& TAIL DRAGERS KITS FOR ALL
40'S & 50'S CARS call: 408-561-5744
made a million dollars off my first record deal
Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955fourdoor View Post
so i'm guessing that reuseing the saddle from the axle would work as long as i make sure the pinion angle is correct ofcourse. to me this seems to be the easiers way to retain as much of the origional suspension hard ware as possible and require the least amount of modification; seeing as pretty much every axle from what i'm reading will need the spring pad repositioned anyway to correct the pinion angle may as well just ratain the origional harware...thank you gas pumper for the heads up onthe speedway and summit parts..i'll check that out and may go that route if you think it's stronger and the price is reasonable..
Wrong. You can't use the stock mount because it is made for torque tube. That is why it has the pivot bolt. If you put this on your new open drive rearend there would be no way to counteract the torque reaction! You need solid standard leaf spring pads. They are cheap, like $15-20 for a pair. Or just get the 70-81 Camaro rear that bolts in. Make lowering blocks that accounts for the offset pin. No need to make this more complicated than it has to be.

Purchase directly here: www.hotrodlatches.com
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #24
gearhead695456
Grenade Inspector

A 79 Camaro axle worked great in mine (perfect width), just weld in new perches from Jamco to fit the offset locator pins.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #25
Hellfire
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Wrong. You can't use the stock mount because it is made for torque tube. That is why it has the pivot bolt. If you put this on your new open drive rearend there would be no way to counteract the torque reaction! You need solid standard leaf spring pads. They are cheap, like $15-20 for a pair. Or just get the 70-81 Camaro rear that bolts in. Make lowering blocks that accounts for the offset pin. No need to make this more complicated than it has to be.
Exactly! This is fairly easy to do and can be very cheap or expensive. On my 52 I used Posies springs with a 74 Nova rear using their saddles, spring/shock plates. I could have used the C.E. kit and not needed the saddles cut off and welded. I learned this after the fact. Get some cheap saddles from Summit or redrill the pin hole and call it done.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #26
Slick Lovelace
FNG

I have a 1954 Chevy 2-door sedan with 1956 Chevy rear leaf springs and axle. You mentioned relocating the pin in order to make it fit. Can I drill a new hole an inch or two behind the existing hole in the springs without wrecking them?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #27
davidbistolas
Alliance Member

You drill the perch, not the spring. and it's about 3/4" inboard and 1 1/4" forward- from memory. Measure twice, drill it once.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #28
Big Mac
Alliance Member

I have a 10 bolt from an early 80s Chevy utility van. It's a little narrower, but everything else was bolt-in simple. I did it 20 years ago in high school. No problems since....