Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway Bomber Seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Da' Bomb, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Does anybody make a cover for the Speedway Bomber Seats?

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think Speedway has them. I have a set that I bought off of my Son and they have black vinyl seat covers with them.

Don

I found them in the catalog, item number 910-70058 for the seat and 910-70057 for the upholstery. But these are the Kirkey seats, not the Speedway bombers.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I found this picture. My Son had some custom made bombers built by Mike Mercurio and had an upholsterer make up a seat pad and back cover. Makes a lot of difference in comfort.

[​IMG]

The car now has a simple Gennie shifter to match better.

Don

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. wizzard23

wizzard23

Just set on your parachute. It's traditional!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somehow I just don't think my 65 year old butt and back would like those. Hell, I probably wouldn't fit anyhow as in WWII the average airman weighed about 160 or less.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Without pads they are unbearable, but with good ones even my 66 year old butt is comfortable when I ride with my Son. It surprised me too. :)

Don

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The ones I have seen in person look like they might be good for a trip from the trailer to the parking spot in the fairgrounds as long as you don't have to circle the place to find a good spot. But they did lack the upholstery that your son's have.
    I've driven way too many miles on uncomfortable seats in the past 50 years to want to drive any distance on or in one now. The bench that now is in my 48 that looks like it belongs there is one of those. It is like sitting on a board with another board for a lean back and after a 300 mile day it takes a week to recover.

8. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

So, I don't have a parachute to sit on....
    The seats are pretty good using memory foam pads slipped inside of tee shirts. Bonneville road trip good.
    Problem is, the funny part about using tee's has worn off. Have any of you folks run across a reasonably priced upholsterer who has made covers?

Pat

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Any good local upholsterer familiar with cars should be able to whip you out a set. The guy that did Dan's put down firm foam first, then softer, then softer yet. We have taken some couple hour drives and it has been really not bad on the butt at all. The backrests that slip over really help too, as does that raised bolster under your knees.

Don

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a friend on Vashon who does nice boat upholstery and canvas work. I'd imagine that she could knock out pads for those seats using Sunbrella that would look good, sit good and hold up well for a reasonable cost. I've seen a lot of her work and never asked a price but the people she did work for are more than happy all around.
    Rob

11. Old Guy

Old Guy

Had these done by a local shop. Charged me $125. Just make sure they us high density foam.

Attached Files:

12. dashman

dashman
    from Viroqua WI

Those look really nice. What is the name of the shop?

Dashman's Hot Rod & Speed Parts

www.dashman.net

13. dmac620

dmac620

Here are the pads I had stitched up for my "Hunts" bomber seats. Very comfortable and reasonably priced.

(Hunts used to make the seats for Speedway before Speedway had them made overseas)

Attached Files:

• seat.jpg
      seat.jpg
      File size:
      357.7 KB
      Views:
  14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Met Mike at a SFCC breakfast he visited awhile back. After breakfast we all went to his house and looked at some of the seats he had built and others in progress. Nice work from a nice guy.
    Dave

15. Speed~On

Speed~On

Perhaps I could actually be of some help here. I also have a set of the seats posted by HAMB user Don’s Hot Rods. Da’ Bomd and Dashman….ok, Ben, Those seats are not available through Speedway, however as he stated you can get them from Mike Mercurio, he lives in Roswell, GA. Here is a link to his website: http://www.hotrodalleyspeed.com/index.html<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Mike and his wife Traci are incredibly nice and he has crazy talent! I have these seats in my Model A and I love them. People constantly have positive comments and want to know where I acquired them. <o:p></o:p>
    Da’ Bomb, if you can wait a few days my seats should be back from the upholstery shop as I am having them upholstered right now. I thought they would be finished Friday, but the upholster had to finish a 55 Chevy. I will post photos when I get them back. Mine will be finished in high quality black leather (leather used in Mazarati’s) with thick white baseball stitching (should really pop) As you can see from the photos they have high sides to them, so I will be sitting on at least 3” of high density foam. I am very confident this will make for a very comfortable ride. I am paying $300.00 total for the upholstery work, shop is in Madison, Wisconsin. <o:p></o:p>
    Since we’re talking about interiors, if any of you on here are looking for a high quality dash or other one off custom parts, you must see the Dashman. He made my dash and it is crazy sick!!!!!!! He is also in the process of making me a custom shifter handle.<o:p></o:p>
    Da’ Bomb, if you have not purchased the bomber seats from Speedway yet, I would reconsider. I would spend a few extra dollars and get a set from Mike, as they are wwaayyyyyyy better! You won’t regret it! Just my humble opinion….sorry if I rambled on everyone.

16. 19-c

19-c

Mike Mercurio's website for the bomber seats is shut down. Anyone know whats going on? how to get a hold of him?

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Talked to Mike via email and he has had to cut back on all his stuff outside his regular job to be a Dad to his 2 sons, etc. Not building seats at present. so he dropped web site.
    Dave