Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cragar ss unilugs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TOM O'CONNELL, Feb 16, 2012.

1. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

Alright, whats the deal with unilug cragar ss wheels. My 37 chevrolet came with them. Oval shaped holes, mag shank lugnuts that move around in the oval shaped holes. All summit could do was forward me to "Carlisle Wheel & Tire" who apparently bought Cragar. They tell me the clamping force of the "special" washers center the wheel. These "special" washers have wheel side stamped on one side and appear to be slightly conicle. Anybody got any speriance with these?

2. no but i have used the ones they sold back in the 60's/70's with a round hole in an oval shaped washer had no problems with them

3. Yes Carlisle bought Cragar. There are special washers for the unilug wheels however you can still buy the dedicated bolt pattern wheels if you ask for them. Cragar (Carlisle) is currently making me a set of 14" wide SS wheels with a dedicated 4-3/4" bolt pattern at no additional cost. You can also still purchase special back spacing at a small additional cost.

4. Verminator

Verminator

Lotsa gassers running them: low 10's big wheelies, big burnouts no problems. just check to make sure they're tight- regular maintenance on a race car -- on the street you never have to worry about them.

5. Yeah, you have to use their washers with their wheels. Speed shops used to stock them all the time, not sure if they still do.

Bob

6. casper

casper

My Buddy stocks the correct lug nuts and washers (559) 441-0544 Fresno, Ca.

7. Muttley

Muttley

Had 'em, hated 'em & sold 'em...............bought an ancient set drilled with the Ford pattern and am now happy.

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have two sets, 14" and 15" and had no problems with them.

These 15"s were on my daily for years.

[​IMG]

9. 29moonshine

29moonshine

buy the off set washers for the wheels you will not have any problems

10. Deuces

Deuces

Had one fall off a '74 camaro once while cruisin' @ 35 mph... :mad:

No thanks! :rolleyes:

11. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

Mines got a 43/4 blt circle so I have the centered washers. What gets me are the lugnuts just moving around side to side in the slotted holes. Apparently from what I've been told and as I understand it is, as you tighten the lugnuts, the washers center the wheels on the hub. Now these are center hole washers, not offset & as I said slightly conicle in shape so I guess I't kinda like a lock washer or some odd shit. Don't like it, but if they work who am I to argue?

12. Hey Deuces your siggy on this thread makes me laugh.

It's kinda like an oxymoron.

We're talking about Cragar SS's.... Your siggy says "Buy American".... and my 4" wide Cragar SS's that are date coded 1976 are "made in Mexico"! :D

13. kratebike

kratebike

I run a round Cragar lug nut in the odd shaped holes on my Cragar S/S wheels. They have been on my car for 17 years. No problems.

14. Deuces

Deuces

I bought the car dirt cheap (150 bucks) and the wheels were on it... :rolleyes:

15. Squablow

Squablow

Take a picture of one of your wheels mounted, close enough to see the lug nuts and washers. There's no way the lugnuts should be able to move around if you have the correct washers and lugs on the car.

16. storm king

storm king

I'm with Mutely. I wanted Cragars or Keystones on my (not-HAMB-friendly) daily driver. Went with Americans instead to get proper bolt pattern.

17. 61 chevy

61 chevy

i am running them on my 61, when you put them on the 3th lug nut will center them

18. Weasel

Weasel

19. Did I mention that you can still buy Cragar wheels in a dedicated bolt pattern? In other words... NO uni-lug!

20. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

Where would I be able to buy dedicated bolt patter cragar ss wheels?, I called summit & the guy started talking to me like I had 3 eyeballs or something when I asked for a dedicated 43/4 bolt pattern

21. What about running "hub centric" rings to center the wheel to the axle, then use the correct nuts and washers for the clamping force. Once torqued to the correct specs they really shouldn't move at all.

That being said, I am not a fan of the universal wheels myself BUT if I was to come across a set for dirt cheap, or buy a car with them already installed, that is how I think I would handle it.

22. thats just because hes probably 20 years old and shouldnt be selling parts kinda like the kids at the local autozone

maybe if you called cragar or whoever owns them now or look online you can get the right part number or something so the summit kid can look it up on his computer and get you what you need

23. Unilugs work just fine as long as you have the correct oval washer inserts that are configured for your bolt pattern. There are three different washer inserts, 4.5", 4.75", and 5.0. On some wheels, you can flip the 4.5" and 5.0" washer, some you can't. You must run the shank-style lugnuts because the shank will help to center the wheel within the insert. Do not use stock lugs or acorn lugs. Many of the horror stories you hear about unilugs come from the improper use of the correct lugs or the lack of washer inserts.

If I had to choose, I'd prefer a dedicated bolt-pattern wheel, but a unilug works just fine, if used correctly. Unilugs sure are nice when you get another project and you're looking to put some wheels on it. Ford, Chevy, some Mopars, big cars, trucks....a unilug will fit.

24. Yeah, that's the problem with today's parts counter people. They don't get it. They all think that they are experts because they sell "long tube" headers and NAWWWWSS. I want to smack 'em.

25. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

"OK"!, Gotem, Jegs is the place. Looks like all sizes too! I'm feeling much better now!

26. I had these wheels on a Chev Van for 25 yrs.I had no problems.After installing it helps to check the tightness a couple of time after driving.Install them by hand.

27. Any problems at Summit talk to Brad Kemp (ext.6590), he'll straighten it out.

If you need Cragar's (Carlisle's) number it's 800-398-1367.

28. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

I have uni-lug Keystones, you need the oval washers (should fit in a oval shape couterbore (?) in wheel. But you should also have some thick (1/8") round washer that fit on the ovals under the lug nut head. They help keep from making the oval ones bend.
    It is hard to get it aligned on the first couple as you install them. After that the last 3 aren't so bad.
    Without the round washers, the oval one do bend and then stick to the lugs and try to spen as you take them off.
    Sometime you have to keep some pressure on the oval one to hold it in the wheel.
    I have had mine for 30 years and they used used to start with. I did buy new lugs and washers when I installed them. (30 years since I first installed them, I have had them off a few times :) )

29. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

The Cragar Uni-lug washers are also cupped. The cupped side goes down.