Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Torque Fest builds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rickman454, Feb 3, 2012.

1. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

Anybody busting nuts to get their rods done for the Fest?

2. Master of None

Master of None

Yep, my mom's 47 Caddy series 75 4 door. I chopped it, made fade away fenders molded the rear fenders, frenched the rear tag and shaved the handles.Its got a fat man fab stub with a 472 caddy engine.Hope to at least have it in epoxy for the show. Then I'm also helping a buddy who is a lurker on here with his 59 Rambler wagon gasser project. He's built his own frame, and has a stout 355 4spd with a tunnel ram for it.

3. Zaq

Zaq

yessir. hopin that torque fest will be the first show ill be driving something to.

4. Im just trying to keep the one in my avatar together so I can finally take one there

5. godspeedbear

godspeedbear
    from golden

I'm trying to get this into running condition for the fest,,,,, Little stuff is holding me up:rolleyes:
    004 - Copy.JPG

011 - Copy.JPG

6. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

7. grimble

grimble

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

hopin like hell to get back on the rpu and debut it there

9. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Working everyday on my 59 Fairlane....might be sitting on a 5 gallon pail....front seat is my biggest concern right now

10. j_johnson

j_johnson
    from Iowa

I got 2 in the works...dads 29 Model a and my 52 chevy pickup

11. Master of None

Master of None

Well.... only a few days and nights away. Mom's caddy is getting close, and the rambler is getting iffy. Hoping to meet a few of you at the show!

12. Beau

Beau

Luckily, Virgils Garage is right outside the gate if you ned anything welded...:)

We had to help fund the family garage last year.

13. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

14. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

15. ...just got this done bout a week ago...
    [​IMG]

16. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

^^That shit's funny!!!^^

17. got to throw my luggage and pillow in the car
    packed last nite
    gonna be a heavy cruiser 4800 pound factory car and buying a rear end on way and doing swap on sunday

18. Speed~On

Speed~On

I too have been working on a car. My friend and I have been thrashing like crazy this week. For the past 2 years we have been building a Model A. We installed a rebuilt 327 on April 1 of this year. On the shakedown run he noticed some rather catostrophic issues with the engine....note the crack in the side of the block....yeah that's an issue!

[​IMG]
    So, that really sucks. Also, there was oil blowing out the breather, intake manifold, valve cover gaskets, front AND rear main seals are leaking....this is a mess! Needless to say, it was a bad day and this engine was not going to work. So the engine came out of the car.

[​IMG]

So now I'm getting a little pissed because Torque Fest is coming and we had planned on having the car finished for the show. I really want to have this car in the show and support Hannahs cause. Damn, now what should I do????

Ahh ha! Picked up the phone and ordered a brand new 350 Crate Engine from GM Performance. It has old skool cast iron heads and a sweet little cam! Thanks HAMBer Bad Banana for help and suggestions.

[​IMG]

3 days later a delivery truck arrives at the shop and this little devil is in the crate! But we can't keep it black, it should really match the red wheels! Time to scuff it

[​IMG]

And a trip into my pals Paint Booth

[​IMG]

And let's make it look a little nicer and bolt on the accessories....after all it's going into my Model A!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  19. Speed~On

Speed~On

Let's drop this baby in! Yes, we are putting in killer hours and by the way my friend Kevin....He is THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

So, we go through the new engine start-up procedure as well as the break-in procedure. WOW!!! This thing runs nice and the cam has a nice little lump to it.
    I wish I had photos and video from today but we're pretty tired. I can report that
    so far it runs great with no issues (knock on wood!!!!!!) Changed the oil. Now I have to put 500 miles on it and change the oil again. I have about 40 miles on the engine now so I think a nice 2 1/2 hour drive to Torque Fest will be a nice little break-in session for this engine.

The car is back together and sleeping in the garage. OOOHH Torque Fest!!!

20. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Now THAT'S crazy! Last year MY block cracked in exactly the same spot and I thrashed to get it done a couple days before last year's Torque! Whoooaaa! BTW-where did you score your headers if you don't mind me asking?

21. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

Dont think I'll be done in time, but I think I may skip work and at least go.:cool:

[​IMG]

22. Speed~On

Speed~On

It's been a crazy couple of days, that's for sure!

The headers are the ceramic coated headers from Speedway with the turn-outs. I am also using header baffles from Car Chemistry.

23. had another unwanted ground on the car on the ground wire thats the 2nd time of fixing that:rolleyes:
    had the car all packed and went out to my truck and the spare gas can was by it, a gas gauge would be nice:confused:
    people always wonder why me and the wife runs 2 Garmins , one for the mileage for fueling , need a full time navigator for that!!:D
    taking a driving mechanic so he can fix stuff and i can relax
    and hopeing for the best

24. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i'll be rollin this turd around , no upholstery yet , plwood seat its all good , litteraly like 5 miles on it , doesnt get any fresher ! can't wait

Attached Files:

25. Speed~On

Speed~On

Well Dirtbag, atleast I won't be the only one traveling to TF with an extremely fresh build and engine. I only have 40 miles on my engine, but it's running sooo good. Went out to the garage this morning and no leaks from the engine at all, lets hope it stays that way! Just a little leak from the tranny pan but that can be fixed.

26. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Dude I still have my stock model A seat if ya need one!!

27. 52stude43

52stude43

the Kid and me are trying to get the Kosmic Komet running for the show , If not we might bring it down anyway ,it pushes easy:D

Attached Files:

28. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

its all good bob , i like sitting in it nice and low , i have the actual base and back cut just dont have foam yet ! after chopping the windshield i have to keep the seat low !

29. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

wish i could say the same , i have a oil leak somewhere , a small trans leak , a junk driveshaft i dont trust , and havent had time to adjust the lifters , oh well ,

30. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

That would be me! Actually made the maiden voyage on Mon. night and no serious glitches. Once she's back from alignment I'm good to go! Here's a preview...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2012