Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Pancake Breakfast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Anyone have an idea when the breakfast is this year.......besides the end of March.

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I heard this week end from a club member that this years has been canceled. City of Orange has been making it very hard on the club. They have finally had enough.
    The club that organizes this even are looking for a new location for next year.

3. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

X2...I heard the same thing. But nothing has be confirmed yet

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Letter from club president:

At last night’s meeting (2/9/2012) we had a spirited debate regarding the pancake breakfast.

We have produced our famous pancake breakfast for 50 years at Hart Park without a single significant complaint, with no accidents, no injuries and no damage to the park; we have paid substantial fees and cleaned up after the event. We have received praise from attendees and local businesses (i.e. the Plaza Motel, CW Moss and others); yet we feel the requirements being imposed by the City of Orange, Parks and Recreation Department, place a significant hardship for a successful execution of the event, now and/or in the future (see attachment).

An overwhelming majority of members in attendance, voted to cancel this year’s breakfast due to the shortness of remaining time, the City of Orange negative responses to our requirements, lack of volunteers for committee chair and co-chair positions, unavailability of dates in April and the city's outrageous statement that "If even a single person violates their rules they would immediately shut us down."

We had been trying to negotiate with the city since last April with this being the result. Mark Schwing approached the mayor to intercede for us and the result after four weeks was another letter from parks and recreation stating the mayor had upheld their position in this matter in verbiage that essentially said "take it or leave it".

We have investigated alternate venues, even prior to this, and feel confident that we can find a more friendly venue in another city but, the time constraints have made it prudent to cancel the breakfast and notify our many neighbor clubs.

We have every intent to reorganize the event to be less labor intensive require less equipment and again put on a top rated event in another city. It most likely will not include pancakes, sausage and eggs. We are open to suggestions for this future event. Will it be this year, next year? You can make it happen.

Richard Parrish
    President OCMAFC

5. As a resident of Orange, I am pretty pissed off about this. I think the Mayor and her staff are going to hear from me and every other rodder in Orange that I can contact.

6. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

This is a bunch of crap! I cant believe that the City Of Orange would do this! OUTRAGEOUS ! ! !

7. cruzr

cruzr

rotten shame.........one of the best organized,friendly,and fun events of the year...

8. I'm completely sad, this was one I was REALLY looking forward to. :(:(
    To me it's the best show of the year.....stock cars, hopped up stockers, great stories from real oldtimers driving from far away and pancakes.

Orange sucks, they can keep thier stupid cafes that are popping up around the circle, I'll follow the show.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

This just posted on the Ford Barn:

I have chaired the annual Orange County pancake breakfast for the past 6 years. The City of Orange is being chastised for correspondence from a low lever staffer. I have been working with Mayor Caveeche to improve the rules and limitations that the staff placed on the event this. The move by the Orange County club to cancel the event has gotten high level attention at the city. One could even report that a very furious Mayor had a more than a few strong words to say behind closed doors. Orange is now willing to go back to the old, grandfathered rules.

I have just one question: If the club's decision can be reversed to hold the event perhaps on Sunday, 6 May is there enough interest from southern California chapters and regions to do that? Would you attend?

I need to see some quick resposnes before moving forward. I personnaly would hate to see this event fade away and die. It is the foremost Model A event in southern California every year and usually features over 300 Model A's and servos btween 1000 and 1200 breakfast along with fabulous raffle prizes.

10. cruzr

cruzr

I for one would attend and i am sure if the word is put out it will be a good turnout

11. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Yes, the wife, kids and myself will be there. Put me down for four pancake tickets.

12. Well, let's hope that the members of the club don't have a sour taste and decide to go forward with it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  13. yruhot

yruhot

I just got in on this post but i KINDA GOT THE drift of whats going on and it amazes me the shit our elected officials focus on. Sounds like an awe sum event. I belong to the Las Vegas valley model A club and we have a breakfast every month at different places and they are usually estatic to see us there, especially in this economy. Although there are about 40 cars on a good day. But one would think the elected officals would have real issues to worry about. yruhot

14. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

15. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Fort MacArthur (in San Pedro) would be happy to host the event ...we could probably even make it happen this year.

16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Good news. This was posted on the Ford Barn:

"Thanks to Orange County club members Frank Reese, Tissy Hatcher and Don Ratzlaff and a very good recent meeting with City of Orange offcials including the city manager, our Orange County club voted this evening to hold the famous annual pancake breakfast again this year.

The date will be Sunday, May 20th at the same location as previous years, namely Hart Park in the city of Orange. The time will be 8 AM till Noon and we specifically ask you to time your arrivals for not earlier than 7:30 AM. This is important.

Emails will be sent out this Friday to all the Southern California Region clubs informing them of this news. There are no regional events scheduled for that date so plan to attend the pancake breakfast. We welcome all Model A lovers.

The May date promises to bring excellent weather and no water running down the middle of the flood channel like last year. We will have our usual excellent raffles as in the past and I promise a surprise or two in the raffle area. I almost forgot, we now must call them an "opportunity drawings".

Take Mom out for Mother's Day on May 13th and both of you come to our annual pancake breakfast on May 20th. "

17. RussTee

RussTee

From New Zealand, to lose this would have been like losing American freedom early Fords are part of American tradition if you lose your traditions you lose your identity.

18. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Glad you got that straightened out:)

19. The decision was made at the March 8th meeting (2 days ago) and they haven't updated the web site yet.

20. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

So the breakfast wiil be this Sunday the 20th??

21. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Bump for this weekend

22. See Ya on Sunday!

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn I wish I was over there. This is one of the events I have always wanted to go to.

24. Dave Zapatka

Dave Zapatka

Wow ! That was close ! NO Pancakes ! See Ya Sun !!!!!!!! :)