Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
hellerlj

Default GARAGE HEATER....Which Do You Like..Looking for Advice

I have a double garage with NO heat,
live in Minnesota...so we got cold....
Want to buy a decent heater, have used
a propane one before. Just looking for
input on electric heaters. Are there any
good ones out there that won't put me
in the poor house....

Any and All Advice will be much appreciated
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Butch Clay
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: GARAGE HEATER....Which Do You Like..Looking for Advice

I started with 2 milk-house heaters and because it was well insulated it worked very well. Insulation is key.

Butch
online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
hellerlj

Thanks Butch...appreciate your input
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
pinkynoegg
Alliance Member

I recently ran into the same problem. I went with a kerosene heater from Northern tool. Cool thing is that it runs off of diesel and jet A as well. set me back around 200 but after about 15 minutes of running, my whole shop is toasty

WANTED>>>>>>>Stewart Warner "twin blue" guages <<<<<<<WANTED
Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
olscrounger
Alliance Member

Have a 3 car garage and wife sprung for a combo heat and air unit that works really well but it was pricey--I was hesitant but it is well worth it,expecially when it's 110 out or around freezing-has really been a big plus for me allowing me to work in the garage when I would not have in the past.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
tommy
Old School HAMBer

I sold a car and sprang for a propane forced hot air furnace mounted in the attic when I had the cash. I had already insulated and dry walled the 24X36 garage. It's so nice to go out there and just flip the switch. I added a ceiling fan to keep the air stirred up and not just hang at the ceiling. I could have done it myself but I got a contractor to do it.

I've tried the old fire barrel and the salamander trick and this is the cats meow. Once it's in and done it's all gravy.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
young'n'poor

I have an old modine in my 2 car garage that until recently worked fairly well. Now that mine is down I'm going to upgrade to a mr.heater natural gas unit. If you don't run them 24/7 the natural gas heaters are pretty nice to have. Insulation is key to any heater working well, and I imagine with an insulated garage and modern insulated doors an electric unit could work alright
Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
fortypickup

I have a 220 electric heater that I bought about 6 years ago from Northern tool. Keeps my 1 1/2 car garage nice and toasty! (The garage is not insulated) I got it for $120.00 + shipping.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=653872
Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
RICH B
Alliance Member

Had a propane fired hanging heater that I had recycled from a previous garage; but
wrestling with 100 lb bottles got old. Replaced it with a new low profile natural gas hanging garage furnace from Home Depot, now keep it at 55 degrees all the time. Able to work at anytime and it doesn't add much to the gas bill, especially this year. A "take-out" house furnace is cheap and works good; but even hung from the ceiling it takes floor space.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
1941ihkb5
Grenade Inspector

Maybe a waste oil furnace? Did the Mr.Heater thing, Ya gotta be carefull with propane. My throat was toast after spending a good portion of the day inside a double bay with one! Had one hell of a headache too! Wood stove for me, But you cant shut down the flame to paint.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
xxzzy999
Grenade Inspector

I recently bought and installed Northern Tool's ProCom MD300TGA 30,000 BTU garage heater.

It can be used with NG or propane. I just tapped into the NG gas line going to the water heater with about $20 worth of parts from Home Depot. I also bought the blower accessory for $36.

This ProCom heater is on sale for $170 and has great reviews. I'm very pleased with the unit. It warms the garage within 5 to 10 minutes depending how cold it is. This heater is "ventless", meaning that it burns the fuel effeciently enough as to not create any carbon deoxide, therefore no outside ventlation is needed... very simple installation.

I was initially interested in a kerosene heater, but with the price of kerosene at $10/gal (Home Depot)... I said no way! I'm sure you could buy it in bulk cheaper.

Regards,
X
Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Probesport
Alliance Member

Michigan boy here, a heated garage is a must. My neighbor and I both used Ford Air furnaces.

I used to have a couple radiant units (Re-Verber-Ray) which were OK if left on all the time, I use my forced air furnace as needed, take about 20 minutes to heat up the place. I have a large 2 car (or small 3 car) garage I can fit 2 cars in with all the doors open and still have about 15 feet to the back wall. It's a detached concrete block garage built in the 1950's with no insulation. I keep saying I am going to insulate it but something else always comes up.

My furnace came to me used and was from a manufactured home. I don't have any ductwork, just a plenum on top of the furnace to direct the heat outwards.

As far as electric, I have tried a few of the wall mount ones and while they will keep the chill off of a certain spot it's hard to get everything warm in a decent sized garage. If you had an attached garage on the smaller size you may be able to get away with a wall mounted electric.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
oldpaint
Grenade Inspector

I have a 50,000 btu natural gas hanging unit heater in my 24X28 shop. It works great and will heat the shop in 15 minutes. I turn it off so it won't kick in when I'm not there. The only minus is that it has a pilot light that is on all the time.

When I put a hanging heater in my 24x36 garage I went with electronic ignition It's a 45,000 LP. More effecient, but takes longer to heat up th garage.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
northerndave
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1941ihkb5 View Post
Maybe a waste oil furnace?

I've run a cleanburn brand waste oil unit for close to 10 years now. My shop is 30X60, 12 ft sidewalls, it's 62 degrees in there right now, 70 if I want it to be, 50, what ever.

I advise that you do not invest in one of these until you have secured a source for used oil. Set something up with a service station, a farmer, a trucking company etc.

Line up the oil first and be confident that you'll be able to rely on a source from a bulk supplier. Dealing with quart and gallon jugs from friends and neighbors sucks balls.

The only thing worse that that is collecting a drum from a guy that has been filling the drum for the past 7 years...

That sucks, because it's going to have water in it, anti freeze, waste paint, dead mice... you name it I've seen it.

line up something with a trucking company, a large farming operation or some kind of business that deals with large oil changes on equipment regularly.

Then you will get good oil with no water or other mystery junk in it.

The waste oil really is harder to come by these days than it was 7-8 years ago.

Years ago waste oil recyclers were charging service stations to dispose of waste oil from oil changes, then they turned around and sold the waste oil to go into pavement for road projects.
Something changed over the years and they don’t double dip any more, now the waste oil pirates are actually paying a couple pennies for waste oil they collect from service stations.

So, the service stations are less likely to just give it away these days.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
hellerlj

everyone....thanks for all the great info.....

i have a lot to go one for sure....

appreciate everyones time...
Old 01-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
aerocolor

I use a Resnor brand forced air heater in the work garage. 75,000 btu in a 30x40 w/ 12ft ceilings. It`s quiet and very efficient and can be hung 1" off the ceiling.

Tried the radiant but too hot to work under plus don`t like open flame.

Have a smaller (45,000btu) heater in the other 30x40x10ft ceilings storage garage to keep it around 50 degrees. It tucks up nice out of the way(pictured). Bought it at Home Depot for around $275.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	1546472  
Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
hellerlj

I had seen those heaters at Home Depot and have always wondered
how well they work....now I know....you'd have a lot more room to
store stuff, if you got all those old junk cars out of there....hahahahahah

Thanks for the great info...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
42hotrod

If you have 220 available in the garage, I would recommend one of these guys, i use one in a large 2 car garage and it stays pretty toasty unless its like 20 below zero out, than it gets cold back by the door.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-5600-w-E...item256b71f0f7

I know a friend that damn near kicked the bucket from one of the salamander type heaters, he was working for hours doing a tranny job with it on and his wife found him out cold under the car. An ambulance ride and several days in the hospital later the guy had a pretty good knowledge of CO poisoning.

Remember, if its not vented outside and it burns fuel, take it from a firefighter your breathing that shit and it will harm/kill you.

Scot
Old 01-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
hellerlj

That one looks like it might work for me.....thanks very much
for your input and the lead on the unit...

Les in Minnesota
Old 01-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
hdman6465
Alliance Member

I have a radiant fuel oil heater. Purchased in Canada. This is the tube type. Have used it for 5-6 yrs. You can work in a t-shirt in 15 min. in the dead of winter. My garage is a 30x50 w/12 ft. walls and very little insulation. This unit uses 6in. pipe and runs the length of the garage very cheap to operate. Have used about 100 gal. a year, using it almost every day. It was explained to me that every gal. of propane has 96k BTU and fuel oil has !40k BTU for the same amount. They have used them in Canada for years, but don't see much about it in the USA
Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #21
mitch 36

Smile Re: GARAGE HEATER....Which Do You Like..Looking for Advice

I have a 21 x 24 that has been sheet rocked and insulated. A buddy at work gave me a direct vent wall furnace that burns natural gas and that thing is the best. The combustion system vents to the outside and it puts out 35,000 btu's, more than enough to heat it and keep it 70 all through the Chicago winters. You can paint or mess with solvents with out the risk of the pilot light blowing you up. These furnaces usually run about 6 bills new but they regularly show up on craigs list etc for cheap or free. Usually from people remoeling their basements or cabins. I got another friend at work trying to give me another one and i will probably take it for just in case. They are the cats ass! Mitch.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #22
41 C28

Last winter I installed a 75,000 BTU "Mr Heater" forced air vented gas heater in my garage. Got it at Lowes. Something I should have done years ago.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #23
41 C28

Last winter I installed a 75,000 BTU "Mr Heater" forced air vented gas heater in my garage. Got it at Lowes. Something I should have done years ago.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #24
31ford429

thanks guys very helpful
Old 01-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #25
Cadzook
Grenade Inspector

I use hanging 5000 watt electric heaters. My shop is very well insulated and the heater in a 20x26 room heats it up in just a few minutes. I don't need to run it that much, so cost is pretty low.
I have used a kerosene heater and absolutely hated it! The fumes were awful. I will never use any heat that doesn't exhaust combustion gases outside. Some people claim to be happy with them, but the health risks are not worth it.

~Alden
Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #26
Dooley

I use a dayton 220volt unit type heater hanging on the garage ceiling, mostly insulated.

Worked on my car the lat 2 days it was mid 20's with jeans and t shirt and a pair of coveralls and was very comfatible, plus my head is bald and I needed no hat.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #27
HellRaiser

You're not going to live out there, so you won't have to be able to raise the temp up to 75 before you go there to do your putzing around. It's not as if you're trying to heat a stand alone building.

Consider finding a motel that's either being tore down, renovated. Get the a/c-heater from one of those. Easy to put a hole thru the wall, mount it, and Wa La you have heat and air

On the plus side, you won't have any flames in there.

HellRaiser
Old 01-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #28
Willy301

I have a 30 x 50 pole barn with 10 foot sidewalls and 8 inches of concrete for the floor. I had a 120,000 btu NG 90% efficient furnace hung from the ceiling. It is still over 6 foot off the floor, and I put it in an area where I did not need headroom. The drawback is, you have to keep it at least above freezing all the time, and you really need a place for the condensate to go. I have a sump pump pit and I keep it 60 all the time. My heating costs aren't bad because the concrete and the the bigger items in the garage help maintain the temp, so the furnace doesn't have to run hard to keep it warm. The up side of it, being that it brings its own air supply in to the burn chamber, you can spray paint to your hearts content without fear of an explosion.

As said above, insulation is the key, I currently have R-19 in the walls, and R-30 in the ceiling with a 16'x9' insulated overhead door and a insulated 36" mandoor. I have no windows because that would just give the neighborhood kids something to break.

NSMC Life member
www.smallscalecreations.org

Last edited by Willy301; 01-25-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: left out part of it...
Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #29
PAracer

I'm also looking for a heater. My old garage was detached so I could get away with a kerosene heater. My new house has an attached garage so that's out. I'm going to look into a 220V unit. What I want to know is how to keep the moisture from condencing on all the metal parts when I'll only be heating it on weekends? I had this problem at the old garage but it could have been that I was letting it get to warm in the garage. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #30
Dave50

I heard guys using mobile home heaters there cheap and run off propane bottle just a thought hope it helps.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #31
Boyd Who

I bought one of these on sale for $99. My shop is a well insulated 20 x 22 with a 9' ceiling. This heater works really well even on the coldest days.
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...Dimplex+Heater
Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #32
Standard gas&oil
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAracer View Post
I'm also looking for a heater. My old garage was detached so I could get away with a kerosene heater. My new house has an attached garage so that's out. I'm going to look into a 220V unit. What I want to know is how to keep the moisture from condencing on all the metal parts when I'll only be heating it on weekends? I had this problem at the old garage but it could have been that I was letting it get to warm in the garage. Anyone else have this problem?

I bought a dehumidifier for my shop and the first night I used it I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water, I was shocked because the shop is insulated and sheet rocked. You can mount it out of the way and run your drain line thru the wall to the outside. No more moisture on anything after I installed this. A good one will run about $200.00
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #33
meengrinch
Grenade Inspector

lost my roof to a mr. heater running on propane.......fire inspector said it had a defective valve ..........thank god i had insurance.........using a wood pellet stove now ...so far so good
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #34
Willy301

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAracer View Post
Yeah, the heat and cold cycles will cause this pretty readily. If round the clock heating isn't an option, like said above, a dehumidifier is your friend. You can buy a cheap temp gauge to hang on the wall, get one with the humidity reading too. You will see a difference in a short time with the dehumidifier.

NSMC Life member
www.smallscalecreations.org
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #35
Tugmaster
Alliance Member

Lots of good info here. Might I suggest you check out garagejournal.com. a TON of info over there! Well worth joining. I have a 20x20 attached garage. I am planning on insulating and sheet rocking te whole thing this spring. I've done a bunch of research and for me I am going with a Dayton G73 220v electric heater. Todd

Last edited by Tugmaster; 01-25-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #36
Blue One
Alliance Member

The absolute best way to heat your garage is with a radiant tube heater. I have a 10' long natural gas unit in my 24x26 garage and it keeps it toasty warm and is really affordable to run.

Alberta winters are much more bearable with a warm garage.

http://www.calcana.com/garage-heater...ge-heaters.htm
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #37
fatkoop

Might look around for a regular forced air gas furnace used in homes. I have about an 1800 sq. ft. shop and I used a 250,000BTU upright gas furnace, all ducted & stuff to put the heat right where you need it, just like a house. It was easy to install and has a regular house thermostat. Keeps me nice & cozy even in some pretty cold Colorado winters. Many folks around here get rid of good, but less efficient models to upgrade to a more efficient one, but the lesser ones are plenty enough for a shop where you are not running it full time.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #38
borntoloze

I have two of the "hen house" 220 volt heaters ... small, easy to handle, have one hanging from the ceiling and, if needed I place the second one on the floor.

Attached two car garage (Southern Ontario Canada). Only run them when I'm going to be out there ... my car sat in my garage for 5 1/2 years with no paint (none ... no primer either) on it and it did not rust at all. My house is all brick and there is a door from the house to the garage. My guess is that there is enough heat loss through the (one attached) wall that condensation does not form. Garage is fully insulated and drywalled (except for the wall attached to the house).

Electric heat is the best for me ... no noxious/dangerous fumes and no tanks to fill.

Bought one heater from the farm Co-op for $99 years ago and bought the second from Home Depot for something like $69 or $79.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #39
Oldhenry1

My shop is 24x30x10, the walls are insulated but not the ceiling. Got a free standing woodstove with a blower and a ceiling fan. I burn everyday in the fall and winter, burn ban or not. It's a living space to me so it's a labor of love.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #40
Rock 'n Roll DaddyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH B View Post
Had a propane fired hanging heater that I had recycled from a previous garage; but
wrestling with 100 lb bottles got old. Replaced it with a new low profile natural gas hanging garage furnace from Home Depot, now keep it at 55 degrees all the time. Able to work at anytime and it doesn't add much to the gas bill, especially this year. A "take-out" house furnace is cheap and works good; but even hung from the ceiling it takes floor space.
55 degrees brrrrrrrrrr
Old 01-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #41
Jalopy Jim

I'm replacing the overhead Modine heater in my car shop right now and replacing it with a Dayton radiant tube heater. With the Modine heater the upper 1/2 of the shop was warm, the tools were cold, and sometime there would be ice under the car when you worked on them. With the tube heater, it heat objects not air, so tool are warm, the floor is warm and they run for about 1/2 the cost. I will have about $1400 installed (My labor ). I am looking forward to getting some real heat in the shop, I have heated my business building for 12 years with radiant heat and love it.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #42
general gow

i think i might have to try the radiant tubes. i have a 40x60x12 shop that is currently heated with radiant in the concrete floors, and i use about 300 gallons in 6 weeks. i simply can't do that monetarily, so i need a new solution. i just want it to be 50-55 degrees in there, so i'm not asking much...
Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #43
Choff
Grenade Inspector

Check into buying a older mobil home propane furnace, I installed one for less than $200.00. It stands on floor with min. room, 30" x 30" x 80" tall.
Bought furnance for $60.00 and with new roof vent pipe and drilled out the orfice to convert to natural gas and brought Natural Gas line in from house with the yellow flex pipe.
Love it ,has fan mode for summer and it vents to the bottom so the fan blows across the floor. No duct work required.!!!
Turn it on when working in the 2 car garage and turn off when gone.
Choff
29 dodge coupe
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #44
BJR

Get a propane trailer house furnace. They blow heat out the bottom. Set it up about 18 inches off the floor on a 2X4 frame and put a curved piece of sheet metal from the floor to the furnace to direct the heat out into the room. You can work under a car and the floor is warm. Just my 2 cents worth.

I guess I should have read the last post before I posted.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #45
nwbhotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdman6465 View Post
I have a radiant fuel oil heater. Purchased in Canada. This is the tube type. Have used it for 5-6 yrs. You can work in a t-shirt in 15 min. in the dead of winter. My garage is a 30x50 w/12 ft. walls and very little insulation. This unit uses 6in. pipe and runs the length of the garage very cheap to operate. Have used about 100 gal. a year, using it almost every day. It was explained to me that every gal. of propane has 96k BTU and fuel oil has !40k BTU for the same amount. They have used them in Canada for years, but don't see much about it in the USA
I beleave you get more BTU from oil than you get from propane
Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #46
Butch Clay
Grenade Inspector

It's a little off topic but.......

I make my living as a self employed plumber. I have installed a lot of radiant floor heating systems for small garages that run off of a small boiler or a 40 gallon water heater. Obviously the heat system is in the concrete so for many that's not an option. BUT......a few jobs over the years were car guys who busted out old concrete, installed the heat coils.....and re-poured the concrete.

It's not the cheapest option but it can be done rather affordable if you know a concrete finisher or feel confident in your abilities. The heat system itself is pretty cheap on a small garage because it's only one zone. A water heater will heat a 24' x 24' garage footprint extremely well.

Something to think about anyhow. I wish I had it in my garage because it's the best form of heat. Nothing beats a warm floor. I'm just not in the mood to bust out concrete and deal with the mess but i'm tempted. The guys I know that have done it are very glad they did. It all depends on your person budget though.

Butch
online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #47
hogridenfool

I have a modine hotdog 55,000 btu it cost me $450.00 25x30 garage insulated and Sheetrocked double steel insulated doors it stays about 65deg.the hardest part was running the gas line,the heater has a power vent system so you can run the exhaust vent anywhere I've had it 6 years with out any problems.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #48
styleline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1941ihkb5 View Post
Maybe a waste oil furnace? Did the Mr.Heater thing, Ya gotta be carefull with propane. My throat was toast after spending a good portion of the day inside a double bay with one! Had one hell of a headache too! Wood stove for me, But you cant shut down the flame to paint.
i had the same problem to.they heat rooms up very fast thats the good thing,but the bad thing is whit the propane heaters they also fill your room very fast whit co2 an thats not so good.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #49
SPDJNKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogridenfool View Post
i have a modine hotdog 55,000 btu it cost me $450.00 25x30 garage insulated and sheetrocked double steel insulated doors it stays about 65deg.the hardest part was running the gas line,the heater has a power vent system so you can run the exhaust vent anywhere i've had it 6 years with out any problems.
x2.