Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vic Hubbard Speed & Marine-Head Hunters Hayward CC/

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M.Edell, Jan 20, 2012.

1. M.Edell

M.Edell

Thought I'd share some cool photos with you of some East Bay Area Hot Rod History.
    Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine was founded by Jerry Light in 1949.Vic Hubbard soon became one of the most popular speed shops in the country with its famous yearly Catalogs which advertised in HOT ROD magazine.George Poe from TRW did not want their name on a 4” bore 12 to 1 compression piston so Vic Hubbard bought the forging dies to manufacture these pistons for Chevrolet applications. Vic Hubbard Power Forged Pistons were then distributed throughout the United States. Once TRW saw the success Vic Hubbard had in selling performance pistons, they came out with their own forged pistons that are sold worldwide.
    Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine was originally located on Meekland Ave, Hayward,Ca which is their accounting office today.They moved to their current location on West A St Hayward in 1976.I worked the Counter of their Fremont store in the late 80's and early 90's when it was open.Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine supplied and sponsored many race cars in its history.Jerry(RIP 2008) and Denny Forsberg ,Employs of Hubbard's in the late 50's and 60's built and raced many competitive Dragsters and race cars and were regulars at Lodi,Fremont, and Half Moon Bay.Next Door to Vic Hubbards was Al Hubbards Machine Shop,who also built and raced dragsters as well as building many racers and Hot Rodders engines.Al Hubbard and the Forsberg Bros. teamed up in the early 60's to build and race a very competitive unblown Chevy B/ Fuel Dragster- Record Holder 4/29/1962 @ Fremont 8.40 ET.
    All three guys Jerry,Denny and Al were all members of the Head Hunters Hayward Car Club.Which included some real hardcore Rodders and drag racers.Also one of the coolest car club plaques Ive ever seen.There's alot more I can say but I will stop for now.Please enjoy the photos courtesy of Ken Harper(Satans Angels CC) Wayne Franks, Forsberg Family and Vic Hubbard. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. M.Edell

M.Edell

Jerry Light-Founder of Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine, now owned by his son Gary Light and Daughter Judy(Light) Forsberg [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  3. M.Edell

M.Edell

Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine Counter in the old Meekland Ave Building.The counter at Vic Hubbard's Speed Shop, Hayward CA, in late 1960. Right to left: Judie (Light) Forsberg; Jerry Light (owner); Bob Zarth; Jerry Forsberg; Chet Norris; Denny Forsberg; John Middleton; Bruce Carmen (in shades); and three customers [​IMG]

4. M.Edell

M.Edell

Forsberg Bros. Denny on Left and Jerry on Right and My Ex Boss at Fremont Vic Hubbard, Tom Odgers in Rear with trophy Queen and their race car at Fremont Dragstrip [​IMG]

5. M.Edell

M.Edell

6. M.Edell

M.Edell

Vic Hubbard Advertisement at Fremont Dragstrip mid 1960's [​IMG]

7. M.Edell

M.Edell

One of many Ads to appear in Hot Rod Magazine, this one is from 1964 [​IMG]

8. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Man, that is some cool history

nochop and Stogy like this.
  9. QuakeMonkey

QuakeMonkey

Great shots and great history! Thanks for sharing.

Stogy likes this.
  10. M.Edell

M.Edell

Gettin the Word out about Vic Hubbard in the early days, circa mid 50's [​IMG]

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Dave Mc and 2 others like this.
  11. M.Edell

M.Edell

Vic Hubbard Present Day [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

This is an interesting shot for one major reason: standing at the right rear are Jerry and Denny Forsberg who were sponsored by the Vic Hubbard Speed Shop in Hayward. The problem? This is the shop area of Champion Speed Shop in South San Francisco and that is Jim McLennan closest to the camera, Denny Milani with hands on the front tire, and Bob Morgan kneeling next to him. It would be an understatement to say that Jerry Light, VH owner, was not pleased when he saw this photo in Drag News.[​IMG]

13. M.Edell

M.Edell

14. M.Edell

M.Edell

15. M.Edell

M.Edell

Al Hubbard 1955 [​IMG]

16. M.Edell

M.Edell

Al Hubbards First Dragster at Kingdon Dragstrip in Lodi,Ca 1955 [​IMG]

17. M.Edell

M.Edell

The Forsberg-Hubbard guys (left to right): Gary Light (Jerry's son), Dave Forsberg, Dan Forsberg, Denny, Jim Forsberg, Jerry, and John Middleton-July 4, 2007 One year before Jerry Forsberg passed away from Cancer.[​IMG]

18. M.Edell

M.Edell

The A/R ready to roar in front of the family home-Jerry in the seat and Denny in the pickup. Denny's 37 Chevy Pickup had a Chevy Small Block V8, Edelbrock 3x2, Corvette Distributor.He said he would never race it, but one day at Kingdon in Lodi,Ca he ran it, did 91 MPH before spinning a bearing.OOPS.. [​IMG]

chryslerfan55, 504640, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  19. thank you for an outstanding read.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Cerberus

Cerberus

Enjoyed the pix and text. Spent many a $$ at VH in the late 70's. VH's was the speed shop to buy in stock parts. On Saturdays, plan on standing in line. During my college days I worked in the current VH Store on "A" street when it was Markstein Distributing. It was a huge warehouse that housed all the beer and about ten beer trucks.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  21. modified1927

modified1927

Tear drops and a Big choke up, I can remember being a dork in '64, going to the old store, to get rebuild kits for pr. of WCFB's on 55 chevy, First time I talked to Jerry (not the last) he was working the counter. Was in High School at Mt Eden and flipping burgers at Jack in the Box on Tennison after school. Very nice read and lots of emotions
    Thank you

22. M.Edell

M.Edell

:) Very Kool! Did you know Mike Smith who had a 57 Chevy who went to Eden Class of 1966?

23. R&C RON

R&C RON

Great job Marcus, I love this stuff. I always tried to get Gary or Jerry to wait on me , they both really knew their stuff! I have more pictures I will add later.

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool stuff. thanks for posting. I was at Vic Hubbards just a couple weeks ago. first time in a long time.

Stogy likes this.
  25. M.Edell

M.Edell

;):cool: I knew you would have more pics! Very Cool Ron, Thanks, see ya in the morning.

26. casper

casper

Wow Marcus,
    What a great thread, Thanks for posting. Great story and awesome pictures !!!

Stogy likes this.
  27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Marcus
    Thanks for posting. Brings back memories. Bought my first Bell helmet at V.H. maybe '62. Is that the "BREAD TRUCK"? I remember seeing it in the neighborhood in the late '50s. I lived just a few doors down from Chet and Ron Norris in the Oakland hills then. Just up from the old Chevy plant that was on 73rd ave. and Foothill. Think it was still flathead powered then and driven on the street. Kind of a crude chop as I remember but still bitchin.
    Gary

28. TomWar

TomWar

That picture from 2007 Was a shock, I haven't seen Johnny Middleton for about 40 years. I did see Jerry and Denny at our 45th reunion. Time Flys.

Stogy likes this.
  29. M.Edell

M.Edell

Tom, if you have any pics to add please feel free to.Thanks!

Stogy likes this.
  30. M.Edell

M.Edell

Indeed that is "The Bread Truck" Gary.Thanks for pointing that out.Thanks for your reply.Feel free to share more.