Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-12-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
unclescooby
Old School HAMBer

Default where do you get uni-lug adapters???

I thought this was an easy task. I've got some old uni-lug wheels and need the oval shaped insert adapters to make them 4.5 pattern and the correct lug nuts. I called all the major tire places today and none of the kids working there even knew what "uni-lug" wheels are! I've even tried Ebay. I'm not finding them. They made uni-lug wheels for 20 years! Anybody know where to get these things?
Old 08-12-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
beatnik

Default Re: where do you get uni-lug adapters???

There are lot's of place to get them but You better take some measurements and find out which style you have because there are a lot of diffferent styles of uni-lug wheels made. I got my last set from here:

Prestige Wheel

There are a few guys on ebay selling them too:

ebay1

ebay2
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
abe lugo

At the Pomona swap, the lug nut guy has those for like 50 cents each. try one of those cheesy wheel shops with the chrome wheel you think nobody buys.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
C9
Member Emeritus

Location: Kingman, Arizona - The place on the way to other places....

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescooby
I thought this was an easy task. I've got some old uni-lug wheels and need the oval shaped insert adapters to make them 4.5 pattern and the correct lug nuts. I called all the major tire places today and none of the kids working there even knew what "uni-lug" wheels are! I've even tried Ebay. I'm not finding them. They made uni-lug wheels for 20 years! Anybody know where to get these things?

I got some at the Long Beach swap a few years back.
I've seen other vendors that had them at other swaps.

Tire shops, especially the older ones can be a good source.
Most of the owners hang onto stuff like that.

I'm pretty sure you know this, but I'll say it anyway.

If you have a wheel that has a oval depression milled in around each lug hole. about 3/16" deep then you need the appropriate oval adapter.
The lug hole through bore will be larger than a standard mag wheel lug bore.
You'll need the right adapter as well.
There are two and sometimes three different offsets for the lug pattern.

There's another style of Uni-Lug out there.
It has an oversize lugnut bore and a milled round recess that takes a circular lugnut adapter.
These can be harder to find and for that reason a lot of this style wheel I see is in very good condition.
If you have access to a lathe this adapter is easy to make.

If your wheel has an oval hole, but no depression milled in and the measurement along the narrow side is approx. .675 - .682 or so you can use standard mag wheel lug nuts.
No adapters required.

One really helpful thing in running this style wheel - the ones that run sans adapters - is to get a set of Centerline flat lug washers.
They're about 3/16" thick.
Nice part about running the thicker washers is the lugnuts will retain proper torque.
Using the standard thin mag lugnut washers will have them 'coning in' (funnel shape) in a short while and lugnut torque will be way low.
In fact, these thin washers damage this style wheel after a while.
Re-torquing doesn't help cuz the washer cones in even further and starts taking the aluminum around the lugnut bore down into the hole with it.

I was gonna post some pics of each style, but I only have the oval lug bore type wheel and no pics of either style.
Regardless, I can pop a pic of those and post it if someone wants.

C9
Old 08-12-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
brandon
Old School HAMBer

try terry vaughn ....he's on here some ........brandon
Old 08-12-2005, 04:46 PM   #6
unclescooby
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon
try terry vaughn ....he's on here some ........brandon

Thanks guys. I literally went to seven different tire places today including Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Discount Tire, Tire Barn, and others with no luck. I was amazed that none of them even knew what Uni-lug wheels are. Everyone kept trying to sell me the spacer adapters like kids use on imports. I'm gonna have to try Terry or somebody old school. I was just pretty surprised since I thought these unilug wheels were pretty common.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
gierhed
Grenade Inspector

When I worked at the Zone a good while ago, they did have them with the rest of the lugnuts behind the counter. They probably still do and don't even know it.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #8
40Standard
Old School HAMBer

if the kids can't find it on the computer, they don't have it cause they don't know half the time what the hell you're asking for
Old 08-12-2005, 08:51 PM   #9
TRIUMPH TERROR

Scoob,

I saw them today new in the bag at Mopar nats in Col. Oh.
They were cragar brand nuts and washers and I believe the one mexican dude that comes to Indy swaps thats sells bullet lugnuts and caps hasem tooo!!!!

I would try Primo tire on west side of Indy also.

Hamb drags ??????????????

Shoe

Stand on it till you smell shit!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 09:35 PM   #10
unclescooby
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIUMPH TERROR
Scoob,

I saw them today new in the bag at Mopar nats in Col. Oh.
They were cragar brand nuts and washers and I believe the one mexican dude that comes to Indy swaps thats sells bullet lugnuts and caps hasem tooo!!!!

I would try Primo tire on west side of Indy also.

Hamb drags ??????????????

Shoe

Thanks. I'll check with them and some old school tire places. I still don't know on the HAMB drags but it doesn't look good right now. The new girl racked up over $31,000 in hospital bills so far. Don't know what the insurance is going to pay so I've got lots for sale and I'm not spending much.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #11
blktopbandit

the guy from the swap meet is

lugnut king
roland gonzalez
phone 909-376-8018

lugnutking@msn.com

he has the uni-lug stuff, but don't try the bullet centers, they don't fit anything i've found yet.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:16 AM   #12
TRIUMPH TERROR

His bullett centers are only 5 bucks a piece I have used them in the past with either a little silcone around the center to tighten them up in the wheel or my friend who is a machinst makes me a little adpter ring.He also has bullet lugs for 1 buck a piece he seems to be a pretty fair guy to deal with no problems here yet.
Shoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktopbandit
the guy from the swap meet is

lugnut king
roland gonzalez
phone 909-376-8018

lugnutking@msn.com

he has the uni-lug stuff, but don't try the bullet centers, they don't fit anything i've found yet.

Stand on it till you smell shit!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
beertestr
FNG

Unearthing this thread, anybody found an online resource? I have a line on some uni-lug Cragar SS's that are missing some of the adapters. The price is right, as long as I dont break the bank trying to find the adapters.

I have not actually ever set eyes on a unilug setup, anybody have some pics? From what I have read, you don't use regular conical lug nuts you use some with shanks on them? I had a set of aluminum Centerline AutoDrags with a shanked lugnut/washer setup, is this the type you need?

FYI, these are genuine Cragar SS's as far as I can tell. The Unilug is a oval shaped insert in the rear of the wheel.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
isettajohn

I believe you can still buy them from Cragar.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
Rickybop
Old School HAMBer

Hi beertestr. Kinda glad you dug this thread up...I've got some wheels with a couple of missing adapters myself. Yes, the lug-bolts have a straight shank as you said. Nice close fit through the washer. What interests me, is you said that your oval-shaped spot-faces are on the backside of the wheel? I've seen all the different styles that C9 mentioned, but never with the milled oval on the back...always on the front. I can see that your style would work fine, and in fact look better. Read C9's post closely. He explains them well. The oval washer fits in the oval spot-face flush to the face of the wheel. Then the lug-bolt simply fits through the hole in the washer. If you really need a picture, PM me. I'll get a couple to you tomorrow. Good luck - Rick
Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
tdoty

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9 View Post
If you have a wheel that has a oval depression milled in around each lug hole. about 3/16" deep then you need the appropriate oval adapter.
The lug hole through bore will be larger than a standard mag wheel lug bore.
You'll need the right adapter as well.
There are two and sometimes three different offsets for the lug pattern.
I'll play the dig up an oldie game too. I bought some of these from Autozone last year - they call them Keystone washers. There are "centers" and "offsets". The centers are for 5x4 3/4 pattern adn the offsets work for 5x4 1/2 and 5x5.

I need the inserts that go in the backside of an Ansen Sprint! Somebody knocked out the inserts to fit the wheels on a 4 1/2" pattern........they aren't Uni-Lugs, even though they take the "Keystone" washers.

Tim D.

Rest in Peace: Christopher Travis Napier 7/31/85-8/24/07
Old 01-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #17
RocklinDave
Grenade Inspector

Location: Rocklin, Ca, USA Longitude:-121.3; Latitude: 38.8 US

I have no idea if this helps, but I ran a search, and this is what I found, hope it helps.

Quote:

Warnings

Quote:

• Wheel adapters are designed primarily for decorative retrofitting of aftermarket wheels. They are not designed for heavy hauling or hard cornering, and low-quality wheel adapters may fail under these conditions. "Uni-lug" wheel adapters should be avoided. These adapters are meant to fit a variety of cars and adapt them to a common pattern. Uni-lug wheel adapters have slots rather than holes and may become misaligned by road debris, potholes, or other road hazards. If this misalignment occurs at highway speeds, the wheel adapter may fail and cause an accident.
  • or...
    http://www.haweka.com/en/index.php?nav=5.79.83.110

HAWEKA UniLug 405 series
    The HAWEKA UniLug "405 series"
    Infinitely variable from 95 – 215 mm

The UniLug is a clamping device for car rims, light truck rims and in particular for French cars with closed rims (rims without a central hole).

The Haweka UniLug is a good universal clamping device which can be changed relatively quickly to fit 3, 4, 5 or 6 hole rims by using the lug.

Optimum setting is ensured with the additional aid of the PCD measuring tool supplied with it.
    This clamping device has versatile uses thanks to the large pitch circle diameter range (up to 215 mm).
    The UniLug has very high centring precision because of the exceptional and pre-cisely milled lugs and ground surfaces.
    More downloadable information:
    UniLug user manual

UniLug / Serie 405
    Item No.inc. 3 centring rings: 58, 60, 65 mm
    405 009 108UniLug without chuck for machines with a cylindrical shaft connection
    405 280 108UniLug for machines with a 28.56 mm shaft, Mondolfo, Balco, Snap On, US market
    405 360 108UniLug for machines with a 36 mm shaft, Cemb, Ravaglioli
    405 380 108UniLug for machines with a 38 mm shaft, Corghi, Faip, Sice, HPA
    405 381 108UniLug for machines with a 38 mm shaft, Fasep
    405 400 108UniLug for machines with a 40 mm shaft, TipTop, Cemb, Ravaglioli, US market, Corghi, HPA, Mondolo, Teco, Hunter 9200
    405 818 108UniLug for machines with a conical shaft, Beissbarth, Sicam, Facom, Hofmann, Schenck
    Open UniLug
    Closed UniLug
    UniLug on the wheel

or do your wheels look like this?

or these?

http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/ad...?keywords=uni-
    McGard MCG.24022 12X1.5 ET UNI-LUG LOCKS $20.42 3.00
    McGard MCG.24021 7/16" E.T. UNI-LUG LOCKS $20.42 3.00

I think this will work..or help
    http://www.prestigewheel.com/Image5481.asp

and more..ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Lug-Nuts-ET-Vari...item53df241f51

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lug-Nuts-ET-Vari...item53df2d5357

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lug-Nuts-ET-Bulg...item53df3b09b9

cheers

Last edited by RocklinDave; 01-18-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    Old 01-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #18
    1950coronet600hp

Heres my unilug question.. if its a hub-centric wheel then do you even need adapters? as aren't lug nuts just holding the wheel to the mounting surface? not centering the wheel?
    Old 01-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #19
    RocklinDave
    Grenade Inspector

Location: Rocklin, Ca, USA Longitude:-121.3; Latitude: 38.8 US

you'd think it would.
    Old 01-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #20
    Rickybop
    Old School HAMBer

Dakool1...That contraption you're showing is not what we're refering to here. The wheel with the slots milled into the face is the type we're talking about. No safety issues with those.

1950coronet600hp...If I read you correctly...You're asking if not using the washer is OK? NO. You could certainly bolt the wheel on, but think about how little land or surface the shoulder of the lug-bolt would engage, if simply put through the slot with no washer. Not only is the washer oval-shaped, but the hole is too. So the shoulder of the lug-bolt would only catch a small "half-moon" shaped bit on either side of the slotted hole. Not enough.