Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A's w/302 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harvey29, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Wandering who all has put a 302 ford in a 28-31 model A, will it fit with vega steering. Also I'm going from EFI to carb and serp belt to v-belt any advice would be great.

2. millersgarage

millersgarage

I have a 5.0 in mine. The Vega box works, just ask for the "short" oil filter.

Serp belt too, I used a waterpump and pullys from an Explorer, makes the engine 1.5 inches shorter overall

3. dexleo2

dexleo2

I'm working on that combo right now. 302 with a AOD tranny, removed the EFI to go with a carb. My firewall was junk so I cut it out and recessed it about 3", (I may have given up a little to much leg room). Then I set the motor as far back as I could and set it the lowest I could. My motor mounts on the block are at the top of the frame. Oil filter is the biggest enemy right now. I can't put my Vega box inbetween the front crossmember and the oil filter. My crossmember has a pretty good lip on it behind where the spring pocket is, and my crank pully is right above that lip. I may have to raise the motor some to get it to work. So I guess my rambling I have not answered your question, I will be watching this thread. One thing about going from serp belt to a v-belt check your water pump some of the serp water pumps are a reverse rotation pump.

4. crossthread

crossthread

I have 302 in my 29 tudor with jeep 525 steering box which is bigger than a vega. Raised engine a little in frame and a filter for my 03 windstar fits just fine .

5. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

Planning on a 302 in mine. Is a recesses firewall a must?

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Mine is on Deuce rails, and has the firewall notched a few inches, but it has been getting me down the road for almost thirty years. Short filter is a must, but otherwise it isn't a bad fit at all.

7. stock firewall will work, got a lengthened front frame and had to get a snow white water pump for clearance, got the stock floor yet too, never going to finish it anyhou, got a lawn mower filter on a 90 degree adapter

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My last A was a 28 RPU, original rails, boxed, 302 Ford and C4 cog box. Used the short water pump and oil filter.
    You can also get kits to relocate the oil filter. They are either a 90* bend adapter or a disc that screws onto the block like a standard filter does and has two outlets to bolt oil lines onto. You can then run those lines to anywhere you have sufficient room to mount a small bracket that has provision for both oil lines and a standard type filter to screw onto.
    (Does any of that make sense to anyone??:confused:)
    Although we had to make our own lower firewall it was simply a copy of what was left of the original with no recess.
    Another trick is to trim the rear lip of the original front cross member to give you more room for the lower pulley, mine had enough room to run a Gilmer Belt Drive. (It was given to me and it was the only pulley system I had at the time!!)
    Not the best pics but, here......

[​IMG]

We also ran a HQ Holden steering box, can anyone tell us the US equivalent of this box?? Using the mounting plate as a section of boxing plate let's it fit in very well without cutting into actual rail width.

[​IMG]

If you look at the above pic, the whole motor is offset one inch to the right (As you look at it), this is not enough to cause any binding in the drive line but gives you some much needed room.
    (Of course you would reverse all this for the US.):rolleyes:

Hope that may be some sort of help?:eek::D

Doc.

9. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5Wcoupehunter, very NICE!!

Doc.

11. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Has anyone ran a ford racing street rod water pump? I know there shorter but $$$. Found a set of pulleys from CVF racing, also wandering about putting a non roller cam in a roller block.

12. Run a 302 in my roadster on 32 rails, Snowwhite pump set up, Firewall set back 4 inches.

13. Vega box fits fine. My frame is ~2.5" longer from the firewall forward.

Attached Files:

14. I'm putting a 302 in a 32 set of rails does the crank pulley go up over the cross member or does it go behind it?
    When I set it in I put it behind the crossmember and the motor mounts even with the top of the frame with my radiator on top of the crossmember it looks good, but it just looks to high like that I'm running a small filter and vega box still have to mount the box I will be watching this thread and will post pictures tomorrow to.

sko_ford likes this.
  15. Hey 5wcoupehunter what is the measurement from you radiator shell to your firewall?
    Are you gonna run a hood? Really cool blower set up

16. toxictom

toxictom

mine..302 -C4....

Attached Files:

17. Untame

Untame

I'm just starting my '29 Tudor highboy build with a '68 302 4V. My thinking is that I'll mock up the drive train and bump the body back on the frame until it works. I don't want to change my wheelbase. I haven't thought about steering yet...

Untame

18. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

I think I'm gonna go with the ford now I need a C4 or AOD. I also scored a set a bucket seats last night for $0

19. millersgarage

millersgarage

I have the AOD in mine. I run 3:90 rear gears, and 275/75 tires, and it purrs around 2100 rpm at 70 mph

24 mph too, which is better than my daily driver

20. It's not a Model A, but I ran a 302/AOD in a 50's style T-bucket and encountered much of the same clearance issues that you're describing.

Like some of the others on this thread, I used the shorty water pump and remote oil filter that I think I got from Summit. It all worked very nicely and I didn't have to recess the firewall on the 25 T.

21. I don't think you'll be dissapointed. The 302s are great little engines....they made about a zillion of them, so if you ever need another used one, they practically free sometimes if you know where to look.

And since the distributor is up front, the firewall becomes less of an issue than is typical with a SBC.

The other plus is that it's not just another SBC. I've got nothing against the Chev's and have used many of them, but it is cool when guys stop, notice and compliment your choice of a different powerplant.

sko_ford likes this.
  22. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Here's mine. I'm running a Front Runner serp drive system because I wanted a/c and I didn't have any drive stuff to start with. (yeah, the wife will love having some cool air in this Texas heat). I had to recess the firewall 4".
    No clearance problems in front - I could have run a front sump even.

I should also mention MPS auto salvage. Great to work with. I bought a super clean, low mile 5.0 HP from them for very reasonable cost including shipping (just buy insurance!) - they are near Atlanta

Attached Files:

23. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Yeah the 302 that I've got was free

24. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

I sure don't know how you guys are getting these in without cutting, sure looks like it will be tight. I have to order my snowwhite pump and mock up the front of the engine and give it a shot.

25. I started a thread on a y-block in a '29. I ended up moving the front x-member about 3" forward and only need to make a small "dimple" on the left side of the firewall.
    RB

sko_ford likes this.
  26. moefuzz

moefuzz

Harvey, just remember to find the early AOD as it needs no wiring or electronics/computers.
    Off hand I don't recall when the overdrives were replaced with the "Metric" version that requires all the wires/puters but I think the undesirable metric od's came into being in the late 80's.

27. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

302 in 29 closed cab pickup

Attached Files:

28. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

289 perfect,,,,,

[​IMG]

sko_ford likes this.
  29. 29 road

29 road

27 Tall T I am building a closed cab on brookville frame like yours, Can I ask how much your firewall is set back. And what water pump you are using. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  30. jazzbum

jazzbum

i think holden hqs were based on the x platform, which would have been chevy nova, pontiac ventura, buick skylark and so on.