Register now to get rid of these ads!

Film Clip of the Day: America's Safest Tire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

I watched the entire video, THAT WAS AWESOME!!! Thanx for sharing , I love the old Hollywood stuff!!!! His crushed fedora after the roll was hilarious!!!!

3. Definately love these old ad campaigns...thanks!

4. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

OK, I'm ready for more!

5. evs1

evs1

Ah, that explains why we're all running Fisk Safety-Flight tires on our cars today. Wait, Fisk? What ever happened to them?

6. flamingokid

flamingokid

I wonder if the NHRA would consider my Fedora safety equipment??The Duesenberg is worth more now than those actors made in their entire careers.And the cute little blonde is probably 100 by now.

7. belair

belair

"No coupes or roadsters were harmed in the making of this film." I love use of public roads, police officers, total lack of planning and safety measures, as well the use of two totally dissimilar cars to test the tires. Great propaganda. The Gee-Bee type plane at the beginning was the best. A fun view, J-B, thanks.

8. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

That was great! Thanks for sharing it.

9. Fantastic Vintage Stuff Jive-Bomber; thanks for sharing!:D

Whenever I see films or even photos from this era or earlier I always wonder when and why did men stop wearing hats? Look at any pre-1960 outdoor photograph, film or even television and you will rarely see a man without a hat outdoors. Some believe that the hat-less man era began when JFK became the first president to be sworn in as President without wearing a hat..."the torch has been passed to a new generation" type of symbolism...that sort of thought I suppose but anyone has any other suggestions as to when & why men stopped wearing hats outdoors, I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again Jive-Bomber! -Mark

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

10. seems like hats have become informal like baseball caps

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

good stuff. it is nice to know that just making shit up when advertising your product is traditional.

what I learned here is that if you go down a wet street and hit the brakes while turning the wheel the car will go in that direction. pretty fake advertisement, no wonder they went out of business.

cool stuff.

12. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, you'd think that a professional stunt man would know about "turning in the direction of the skid"...

Can you imagine telling someone you just met to go ahead and jump in your Duesenberg and slide it down a wet street! :eek:

13. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Darn! Hollywood city limit is field, Eddy Duchin is playing down the street and you drive a Duesy! Oh then there is the cute little blonde.
    Fisk Tires are now part of Cooper Tire Co - perhaps you can still get them!

Wonderful old Movie - thanks.

14. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Great video! I was just on a site earlier today and seen some advertisements for Fisk tires. Then I log on here to see the feature post. Funny. Thanks for posting.

15. catdad49

catdad49

One of the big "finds" on last nights American Pickers was a Fisk tire sign. I remember that they were one of the big brands of early motoring. Thanks for the infomercial, Cat

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I saw the show. They mention the "Fisk Baby" and that Norman Rockwell was one of the artists.

17. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

You gotta remember that in those days, fedoras were made out of 1/8" steel, not that floppy Chinese shit like the new "repros" today.

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

people had balls back then!

19. Never mind the fedora and lack of seat belts, what about the fact that there is 4 or 5 people standing on the road while the tests take place. :eek:

Sure love old footage like that. Neat seeing how things were. Thanks for sharing Jive-Bomber!

20. I wonder how these tires actually held up in real world use? I'd be surprised if those white separators stayed stuck to the tread blocks. Neat video and tires - thanks.

21. autobilly

autobilly

IMO the "new" '50's demographic the Teenager didn't want to look like Dad (read not hep). By the time they grew-up, hats were for the most part done.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've got a Fedora, but the only place I ever lived that "got it" was NYC. In Houston, only a cowboy hat or a baseball cap passes.

23. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Love the way you get into an older 30's sedan, you open the door and duck your head and walk in like you're walking in your front door. Love it!!

24. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

Wait! So, tire performance is based in pencil-science?

So, that means....

Black Rubber=Lead
    White Rubber=Eraser

Things sure were a heck of a lot simpler back then!