Register now to get rid of these ads!

(Round 2) Just another Model A build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Vandal, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Alright guys, About a year and a half ago I bought a 1928 sedan body and it came with a home built tube frame. I spent alot of time TRYING to make that frame work and only ran into endless headaches. I had started a thread for the build but when the car made it to mock up stage, I realized a few things: 1- The frame sucks.2-I cant fit into a channeled car(6'2"-270lbs), And #3-I like the 40's "salt flats" look just as much as a channeled, slammed, car. So back to the drawing board I went. Starting over was a great decision. This build will not be entirely original, but will be quite different from most model a's Ive seen. THE GOAL- to have an overall look of a 40's hot rod outside but have am insanely fast drivetrain hidden under a full hood. wish me luck.

2. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

3. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Started with an original "A" frame complete with 80 years of rigged brackets and 2 hokey fabricated steering setups. One side steer-and one cross steer.
    [​IMG]

4. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

5. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

6. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I sandblasted the frame and ordered some eBay boxing plates.I was fortunate enough to have a local Hot Rod shop let me use their frame table and welder. I can't say enough about the guys @ Roseville Rod&Custom. They are VERY talented and about as nice as they get.[​IMG]

7. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I took my time welding the boxing plates. Only did about 2"welds at a time and immediately hit each bead with the air gun to minimize warping. I tacked some temporary braces clamped the frame to the table( and was still having to correct some minor warpage)
    [​IMG]

8. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

And now the mock up phase starts. Here is the "monster truck height" stock suspension.[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

My outside sub rails were sturdy, but somebody thought that they should torch out the body channels that run the with of the frame sub rail. So I bought some 1"X2" tube and welded the tube where the original sheetmetal body channels should have been.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

A little more floor bracing and tacked some body mounts in place with poly-urethane sway bar bushings used as body bushings.[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I plan on running a full hood with a BBC 427 and a th400 tranny. So some firewall work is in order. I am still in the process of figuring out exactly how I am going to pull this off. So far I moved the lower firewall back 5.25" and had to stretch it 3.25". I had to chop up the upper firewall for distributor clearance . [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Starting to make a cardboard floor template[​IMG]

13. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

A few mock up pics.Thats where it stands now. More progress to be made very soon. I'll keep posting pics as I get further along.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Looks like a good start. Keep us posted.

15. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Thanks John! Will do

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Lookin good. But I refuse to say a word about those rear hairpins. lol. :D

17. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Lol! Go ahead, im used to it. They are currently bailing wired to the frame. U think they will hold?

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

hahahahahah! :p

19. bobscogin

bobscogin

If you mount them to the outside of the frame rails as shown, the bailing wire may be as good as bolts. You're gonna have some serious stress on the mounts. At least bailing wire will yield a bit!:D

Bob

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Might be OK for a SBC........

21. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Finally, The last sub floor piece done today and a start on the steering box set up.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

23. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Does anybody know when the last time Mobil tires were made? The set I bought on craigslist are perfect ...but might be ancient.[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  24. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

A couple more pics in case you were wondering what connecting rods were doing on my steering box. Its a late 30's gm truck box. I used SBC connecting rods with a an 1/8" split sleeve turned on a lathe. A few strong gussets and I should have a very strong mount[​IMG][​IMG]

25. great start to your build. Your firewall mods looks great but if you really wanted to take it to the next level cut out your boxing plates for the setback and add matching beads to tie into the firewall beads already there. It's kind of anal but shit like that really sets the average build apart. No-one but the detail freaks will see it but the ones that do would really appreciate it. Like I said great work, my suggestion unnecessary, and continue on- really like where your going with the build!!

26. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

The bad thing is, I didnt think of that until I was done with it! This whole time i have been contemplating cutting shit apart and I think u might have pushed me to just do it!:D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  27. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Today I got a chance to replace the temporary crossmembers i tacked in for mock up. For the first time my motor/tranny is in place for good. I would have never guessed how many things I had to figure out before I got to this stage.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

28. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I worked on mounting my radiator today which I am making much more difficult than it could have been. I know I am in the huge minority but I dont like 32 grills on model A's. And I really like the 30-31 shells better than the 28-29's, but they dont have the right proportions for my 28 body. Overall I think it looks good. What do you think?

29. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

30. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

A little surgery was in order on the front crossmember to bring the radiator/grill shell down[​IMG]