Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy II V8 motor pics needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Dec 15, 2011.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A friend is piecing togather a 62 Chevy II and they got the motor (350) installed but is sitting more towards the drivers side and was told the mounts are different for each side,anybody have a 62 to 65 with a small block and can you post some pics of the engine compartment as its been years since I messed with one and they were all 6 cylinders.

2. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

Engine should be offset to the passenger's side. Car was designed this way to give pedal room. You could learn this the hard way like I did. I put a Heights Rod Shop front clip on my Deuce and learned in a hurry that this clip centers the engine so the fan shroud and drive-shaft tunnel have clearance problems. After spending $3000 for the components and reading the 12 page instillation instructions you think they might have mentioned the offset problem somewhere???? GO FIGURE!!!!

3. 29moonshine

29moonshine

the frame mounts for the v8 the driver side is longer than the passenger side about 1" if they are in on the wrong side the motor will be off set about 2 " to the driver side

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

V8s were dealer installed in 62 and 63 and were factory installed starting in 1964
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Chevy_II_/_Nova

The 64 project I had also came out with the common little 6,I never got around to getting the notched out oil pan etc. to put the V8 in.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

5. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

62 to 67 engine compartments are all the same for the most part. First ..do you have the V8 frame mounts that the rubber motor mounts bolt to? you must have these. they are different than the 6 cyl cars. once you have these you cant really mix them up for left and right (and they are L & R) because they will tilt the motor mount bolt slightly to the back. and the motor will be offset to the passenger side slightly once installed. i have built many First Gen novas and currently have a 1965 factory V8 A/C wagon. I dont have any pics right now or i would post them sorry.

6. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

They are right there are 2 sizes heres mine in a 63. I have the notched pan. But you can also get the front sump like the factory had

Attached Files:

7. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

Im at work if these dont load I will post them when I get home

8. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

here is my '63 convertible.....

Attached Files:

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the hardest damned cars from their era to change spark plugs on that a guy will encounter when they have the V8 in them. even when you have a hoist they aren't fun.

10. Not sure if these pictures will help you, but here's my factory 64 wagon.

Attached Files:

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just curious, Nova/Chevy II or Acadian? I had the coil wrapped booster shocks on my 63 wagon also; 327 powered, beefed Powerglide and 4500 RPM stall converter, 4.88:1 Posi, a Sleeper/Street Racer. I installed them with 4 inch long extensions so they were "pre-loaded" and it kicked the front end up a couple of inches; I sold them later to a HAMBER. Still had the 4-bolt hubs, and the brakes were marginal at best. Sure gave the Z-28 and 5.0 Mustang guys fits. Sold the body to a friend (less engine/trans), and he wrecked/totaled it (back to the marginal brakes). I still have the engine/trans; the rear sump pan is notched for the drag link, and has a "Blue Oval" stuffed toy resting in the notched area like it's being eaten. Bought the swap mounts from Chevy II Only. Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Thats pretty funny right there. I don't care who you are. :):)

In answer to the OP question your engine if it is offset at all should be ofest to the passenger side. Not only for peddle room but also for steering box clearance.

13. Deuces

Deuces

I almost bought a '63 SS convertible some years back... It had a white paint job with a white top and a red interior...

14. From what I understand, it's an odd duck. It's a chevy II with a 3 spd standard, 5 bolt wheels, and something about the trim level apparently makes it odd? I really don't know anything about it. I bought it about 7 years ago, drug it home and there it sits. I only really bought it because I figured the oil pan should be worth the $125 I paid for it.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

He called me to say the motor was centered in the engine compartment and is probably going to be tight on the drivers side,I will be going back over to finish the brakes and take some pics.

16. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

Here we will try again

Attached Files:

17. Bilt

Bilt

62 Nova six cylinder now with a 283 sbc.

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
  18. Ken Torrance

Ken Torrance

Yes, the funny little Nova was one step from the bottom of the Chevy line, corvair being the bottom. It was a real Grannie-mobile. I put my first V8 4 spd in my 65 2 dr hdtp in 1973 and learned the hard way. .Yes, you need the V8 chassis adapters, left-long, right-short.offset for petal-steering box clearance. Some other unique parts for the Nova are the front sump pan, oil pump, pick-up tube and drive rod. There was a speical Nova V8 block made that had the ball stud mount for the clutch bellcrank down at the pan line. This was for the speical bell housing that had the clutch fork at the 7 o'clock mark and not the 9 o'clock mark, to clear the floorboard. With a bit of hammer work, you can use the standard 9 o'clock bell housing. The Nova V8 also had the sweep-back ramhorn exhaust manifolds. There was also a spacer to set the radiator back in the L4 & V8, 2 cyls shorter then the L6. A friend of mine had a wrecked 69 Nova ss. The 396 was gone, but I got the 4 spd and the 390 12 bolt posi that went into my Nova. It was very embarrassing to the guys with FACTORY MUSCLE CARS, you know, the mustangs,cameros, and the firebirds. I did upgrades the front brakes by using the drums and shoes from a 69 firebird. They were about 5/8" wider. I still have this car and drive it summer. If you were to pull a wire out from under the dashboard, I will tell you where it goes. LONG LIVE THOSE FUNNY LITTLE GRANNIE-MOBILES

19. amoung the SS Chevies I have had....including the SS-427 Impala....sure wish I hadn't sold my little 64 - SS - fact 283 Nova....back about 1979....

20. Ken Torrance

Ken Torrance

Here, you can see the offset of the chassis adapters.

Attached Files:

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will get over to his house next week and look at it myself and see what is going on.

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

Hay Jeff go to ridesafly.com and check out the 65 at auction there.

23. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

And here is a photo of the recessed block oil filter Nova only block :D:D
    The Nova V8 were the first V8 blocks from Chevrolet to get a factory spin on oil filter

24. mike stead

mike stead
    from oakley ca.

very good info on the v8 swap.the long v8 motor mount on driver side. i am getting ready for this swap. i have a 68 327 bored 40 out ,mutha thumper cam ,hooker 2243-1hkr headers,holley air gap intake, holley carb ,pertronix distributer ,heads are done with harland sharp roller rockers ,this is going in my 64 nova sedan .i already have a turbo 350 in it right now with a 235 six .

25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had a 66 327 350 HP , bought it from a husband and wife . They bought it new , said it was just sitting on the lot , left over 66 when they were looking in 67 . Nothing special to them . I paid 1900 . Sold for 3500 thinking I cleaned house ! I dare say in a city block you better bring a fast car or you were going to be looking at SS on the deck lid at the next light .

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Cant believe its been almost 10 years since I messed with that car,it ended up being too cobbled up and got traded.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just to bump the thread, not enough Chevy II love lately.
    327/350 hp.
    20170903_111043.jpg

28. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Some additional, of my '62, before and after... nova 9.JPG nova 17.JPG nova 16.JPG nova 15.JPG

Oilguy and Jalopy Joker like this.
  29. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

The 350 in my 62 Chevy II, I generally refer to it as a Nova but whatever, is very close to the driver's side inner fender. I totally agree with Mr48Chev, I thought I was going to have to pull the engine to replace the spark plugs. I didn't have any problems installing the engine other than it being a bit tight on the driver's side. The engine appears centered on the car though. When I get home next week I'll upload some pictures.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  30. Oilguy

Oilguy

My 66 has headers and no problem accessing the spark plugs. I can see how it could be a real job with ram horns. I also have the long mount on the left side.

stillrunners likes this.