Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Homemade Engine Stand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. "and a six inch length of '35 or '36 Ford drive-shaft. Most of this stuff can be found in any scrap yard worth of the name"

My how the times have changed...

Cool little article Ryan! I'm curious about how many guys back in the day would have followed the instructions and actually built one.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks like a nice stand.... I a weird metal display at the antique store and was thinking... "engine stand!"

4. Is the KR Wilson one that you mention the side-mount kind? I'd like to find one of those for a flathead block myself.

5. Ok you been robbed. I snagged the pic if that's not alright tell me.

man I really like the idea of the engine being supported on both ends. Some of these old engines are heavy buggers.

6. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

R&C February 1970 page 54 shows Bud Bryan's 59A on a stand that looks identical to the one in Ryan's photo. I believe that is the legendary "Nellie" Taylor wrenching it. We had one similar in my high school auto shop on the late sixties.

7. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

HMM? Looks like it would work for my Buick straight 8! GGGG

8. My brain is already thinking how to make it work with my olds. I have a spare front mount so that end is covered.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

All KRW stands hold the early engines from the side. Model T and A from water outlet holes and pan rail, 32-53 V8 by exhaust manifold holes, 41-52 flathead six similar to A&T. Adapters for Y-blocks mount to the rear, I believe.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Those old KRW stands are beautiful pieces! My neighbour's got one, adapts to fit most everything.
    Personally, I prefer the side-mount stands as they allow flywheel and clutch installs easier. Sure, you can't get exhaust manifold on, but oh well.

11. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

it kinda reminds me of my grandpa's,he also had some old bomb carts for engine stands,wish i had pictures..

12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Ryan,

I've never actually had room for a stand...but now you've got me thinkin' !!

Tx,

Jonnie

13. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I've been tripping over a few lengths of heavy angle iron for a while now. hmmmm...

14. truckjim

truckjim

Never made an engine stand but used 2 for a frame rotissary. Worked great!

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I want a KR Wilson Stand so bad but most of my lust stems from the base saying BUFFALO, NY on it which is my hometown. So awesome....so expensive.

16. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

Street Rodder mag,"the authority in street rods",gasp, had a tech article in the esrly 80's on building a engine stand that flips the motor end to end using the side mounts. I have one and its my favorite building stand. The only problem is you cant install the exhaus, but you can install the flywheel, clutch and bellhousing.

17. slimpick

slimpick

My stands are simple in comparison. But, at least I can run my nailheads on them!

Attached Files:

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

A buddy and I built a rotisserie about 10 years ago....this looks way easier.