Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Another Austin, Tx Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Great read as always. You mentioned you could have owned it a few years back. Any photos of what it looks like today?

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nope. But I just found out the car is in Kerville... No real idea if the car I could have bought was actually "tweety bird" or not.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

5. Probably removed the running boards so the doors would open with that much chanel.

Cool looking car

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I wonder if Andy knows the car....?

7. Andy

Andy

The board would not fit the curved bottom of the body. There is a similar styled pick up in Ca. that has it's boards but the bottom of a pick up cab is flat.
    Jim Govro is still alive and kicking. He showed me pics of himself and his brother setting out for Bonniville in 51 in it. Hands worked on it and the car was dirt tracked after it was channelled. I don't think the car was ever for sale in Dallas. It stayed in Austin till Kerrville.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  8. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Nine layers of lacquer!!! Think about it, these were the street rods of the time LOL... just kidding =)

9. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

If you are thinking about the one that Richard Rawlings had, I looked at it also, and I'm pretty sure it was a different car. No '40 dash in it that I can remember.

I wish I could have bought that one too...I try not to even think about it. :)

10. Before it appeared in the August '59 issue of RODDING and Re-styling:

RODDING and Re-styling - Aug '59 - cover.jpg RODDING and Re-styling - Aug '59 - pages 4 & 5.jpg RODDING and Re-styling - Aug '59 - pages 6 & 7.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

... Jim Govro's "TWEETY BIRD" was featured in the November '58 issue of HOT ROD :

HOT ROD - Nov '58 - cover.jpg HOT ROD - Nov '58 - page 54.jpg HOT ROD - Nov '58 - page 55.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perry Lassiter (sp?) had a 32 cabriolet that was channeled pretty much the same in 'Waco in the early/mid 70's. I can't remember what dash it had but it had sort of bucket seats that had the springs for the cushions set in recesses in the floor boards.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

It does look awkward without boards, but I agree that it is probably for function.

13. catdad49

catdad49

The first "hot rod" I ever saw was a Deuce roadster that was yellow with black fenders, www and full wheel discs. I decided to call it The Bumble Bee (I think I was 8 or 9 at the time). It was a V-8 with glass packs, ashcan exhaust tips and sounded like music to my young ears. I remember seeing it numerous times while staying at my aunt and uncle's house during summer vacations. Do you think it made an impression?? You betcha!! Thanks again for opening one of those little recesses in my brain, Cat

14. What a bitchin car!

15. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Hey Austin is a bitchin place :D

16. I thought for sure by the end of the story you were gonna say we would see it at the Revolution... Oh well, neat car!

17. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

I was thinking the same thing

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

That's Tweet....

19. Brian...The car that Richard had was my old roadster from the 50s...full running boards,the lower front of cowl reworked for them..Bubba67 here on the HAMB has completely restored it back to the 50's original..stock 32 dash..Bubba67 will have it at the Roundup this April.. all the way from New Jersey

20. Hope the photo attached shows

Attached Files:

21. Correct, the car went from Austin to Kerrville....George Walker had it for years and years....and he was a member of our local club, the River City Rods...I co-drove it to Memphis back in the early 70's....I know the car fairly well, because of our Hot Rod Club association.

George got "tired" of the old suspension stuff and had Gerald Hays(another member) start reworking the suspension(got a bunch of pictures of it somewhere)....George never had it finished, and was always wishy washy when selling it was brought up....finally went to some "Andy" guy out Kerrville way. I lost track of it, but sure have some good memories associated with those times when it was running around here....fun crazy times....now I'm grinning:D(but sure as heck can't explain in writing:cool:)

22. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Wow! That's really cool. I'm glad to see it went to someone that really appreciates it. It looks amazing now!

-Brian

23. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Andy had the graciousness to sell this car back to the original builder, Jim Govro, so it's now back in his Austin-area garage awaiting restoration to it's previous glory...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  24. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Has a similar engine set-up like my rod in Austin tx even those mine a 55 olds
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379000962.118895.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379000980.899994.jpg

Posted from Ar

25. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great News!

Hopefully someone there will bring us the story on the rebirth.

26. seatex

seatex

Bitchin' read!