Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #21
Bigchuck

Default Re: Autozone battery warranty

An Auto Clone "Never Start" battery that lasted SIX years, and still had warranty? Wow! Here in hot south Texas, you are lucky if you get 3 years out of any battery.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #22
ryno
Old School HAMBer

im going to have to disagree with most of you.
so you buy a battery 6 yrs ago for 106, use it, it goes bad,and you want a new battery pro rated with a new warranty for another 7 years? so basically you can exchange your battery on your plan for 5.75 per year used. where doers a company make a profit on that?

i think you did the right thing if your concerned about the warranty.
what you could have done is, as mentioned, taken the pro rated deal, and just used it as a lost receipt deal, if /when you had an issue. the batteries are code stamped for year of birth.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #23
belair
Old School HAMBer

I went throught this with their starters. It took 3 free ones and some parking lot mechanics to get one that that lasted. Learned my lesson with neverlast parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don's Hot Rods View Post
I'm not having great luck with Autozone Duralast parts. In July I put a new alternator on my daily driver and it went bad in August. They gave me a new one but it is a bear to replace on my car (the front end has to come somewhat apart, so it was no fun doing it a second time. Then my power steering pump went bad and I replaced it. Two weeks later it was whining, so I took it back, they gave me a new one. Replaced it and an hour later it was also whining. Bought one from a local Delco house and it cured the problem.

The brake pads I put on in September are dusting like mad and I have gone through 3 serpentine belts. Finally bought one also at the Delco place and it works like it should. So I am done buying replacement parts there from now on.

Don
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #24
yblock292
Alliance Member

autozone sucks!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #25
Gman0046

Just needed a battery for my 62 wagon. Autozone, Advance Auto Parts and walmart al wanted in the $100 range. Bought the battery at Costco for $68 and a better warrantee.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #26
hotrodlarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
This weekend my autozone battery went belly up. Today I finally got to the store and they verified it was bad. They got a new battery and as the guy behind the counter was new, a young lady rang up the transaction. She told him that if he rung it up a certain way that I'd be charged for the new battery based on what I'd paid 6 yrs ago and I'd save a bunch of $$. Cool! $60 is better than $106. After all was finalized and I was ready to leave she started telling the guy how my new battery warranty was based off my old battery. Huh? She said "yes that my new battery warranty would start where the old battery left off". So I said seeing as the old battery had a 6 yr. warranty, with 1 yr. left, that the new battery has 1 yr. warranty? she said yes. I told her to give me my money back, that there was no way I'd buy a battery with 1 yr warranty left on it. but she says "it'll cost you $106 for the new battery"(with a full warranty). I paid full price so watch it if this happens to you.
Even if you had taken the exchange, I'm pretty sure the battery should have come with a warranty period that would have started over fresh from the date of purchase not from 6 yrs ago.

Their warranty system is kind of confusing.What makes it worse is some of the people behind the counter.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #27
rustyironman
Grenade Inspector

The manager at the local autozone has really started to be a jerk with any warranty returns. Had an alternator go bad after a month, and he had the guts to accuse me of hooking it up wrong.

I just drive farther if I have to do a return, but I sure won't buy anything else from them now.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #28
Fenders
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K. View Post
You were out the door for $60 but instead you dropped $106 in this financial climate.. Damn these stores are sharp... My money would of been on Auto Zone going flat before that new battery does..
Yup... if we assume the transactions were correct, you essentially paid an additional $46 for an insurance policy on the new battery.
I wouldn't have bought insurance on the battery.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #29
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin1 View Post
Something seems fishy. Based on the time you used it, it should be out of it's free replacement time and well into the pro-rated time. You should have paid full price for the new battery, with a brand new warranty to go along with it. But, then you should have been credited the pro-rated value for your old battery, even at 6 years old it would still carry some warranty value. Sounds like neither of them knew what they were doing. I bet you can still get some credit back if you go back in and explain the deal.
Yes, when I bought the new battery outright, at full price, they credited me with the 1 yr. left on the warranty.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #30
Kona Cruisers

I'm gonna say as someone who's job is writing warranty work (service advisor for gm) that autozone was right. Sorry but same thing holds true on your car warranty.

For example you come in with a no crank no start concern ( bad battery ) and I replace your battery at 35900 miles. You leave and battery fails at 36500 miles a month later. The warranty ended at 360000 miler cause that's when the base warranty ended. Same thing with a engine or ransmission or what ever.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #31
aojo
Grenade Inspector

I'm with Hotrodlarry on this one.... I did an exchange on a battery and received a pro-rated credit for 1 1/2 years based on the original price which was applied toward the purchase of a new battery with a new "birth date".
Old 12-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #32
Deuces
Old School HAMBer

So, ummm... When was the last time you guys bought a Sears Die Hard battery???
Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #33
shoprat
Member Emeritus

I have good luck with the Duralast Btrys. Got one that's almost 11 yrs old.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
Mopar Jack

They do something else i cant stand on oil and antifreeze,when you pull up to the store you see this great price on these products on big banners,but when you get out and up close you see why.With a mail in rebate,and you have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to get your money back....Why not just give the great price and thats that,but they know alot of people will pay the high price,and never mail in for the rebate.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #35
czuch
Alliance Member

Me, "I need a freeze plug for the side of the block on my 83 XJ-6".
Him, "Whats an XJ-6"?
Me, "OK, how about a set of points for a 61 223 in a galaxie"?
Him, "Points, whats that"? complete with glazed over look.
Already had dice lock pins and valve caps so I just walked away slowly.
I was kinda shocked when Jesse James shilled for them.
Then again, I was kinda shocked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well you know.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #36
51 mercules

I have a Duralast in my 56 Chevy for 12 years.I just replaced the one in my Silverado 2 weeks ago,it was 3 years old.Autozone gave may a $40.00 credit and a new 8 year warranty.3 year free replacement.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #37
brad chevy
Old School HAMBer

Your 1st sign of trouble was listening to 2 idiots behind the counter that didn't know the store policy. Its right in front of them on the computer. You should have asked for the manager and you didn't.If the thing lasted 6 years you should have taken the pro=rated $60 deal. Guarantee if you go to another Autozone store you'll get another version of there warranty. Sure was nice back when parts houses knew their stuff.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #38
TagMan
Alliance Member

You had use of the battery for 5-years with a 6-year warranty. 5/6ths of $60 = $50 worth of usage - They should have knocked $10 (original cost $60 - $50 worth of usage) off the cost of a new battery for you (the unused year left on the warranty) and charged you $96 for the new onewith a 6 year warranty.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #39
Don's Hot Rods
Old School HAMBer

Years ago I had a problem with lifetime alternators dying in my Cougar. The parts store would hand me a new (rebuilt) one each time, but the third time the manager says "This is the last one I am giving you because something in your car is burning them out."

When he pulled it off of the shelf I had him put it on their test machine before I would accept it and after he ran the test on it he pushed it off to the side and went and got another one. That one tested bad too, and he had to go get a third one before it tested good ! As I took possession of my new alternator I said to him "What was that you were saying about my car burning them out? He didn't say a word.

Don
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #40
osage orange
Grenade Inspector

In September of 2000, I had to buy a new battery for my O/T 96 Explorer. I was at a Sam's Club parking lot and the guys at Auto Zone, clear on the other side of the shopping center, came over, jump-started the car and we drove over to the parts store and they pulled the old battery and installed the new one, a Duralast Gold.

Fast forward to a month ago. The Explorer has 328,000 miles on it now, 8,000 miles into a tranny rebuild and an engine that doesn't burn a drop of oil. BUT, the battery finally crapped out. I'm driving the Explorer with my tractor battery in it right now, but Santa is bringing me a new Duralast Gold battery for Christmas, and I'll pick it up at the same place that I got the last one. 11 years and two months for a battery is all the warranty I need.