Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
RDAH

Default Why do salvage yard guy have a junkyard dog attitude

I just want to go out in your yard & get what I need, pay ya & leave. Been to yards where the guy hates the government & me being a good listener & letting the guy unload because I'm always intrested in how someone looks at a problem & I need the parts he has. Got out in his yard after 45 minutes & came back & payed him 60 bucks for rain channel molding that went above my windshield on my 54 Merc. Other yards I've been to you just don't know how to take these guys. Do they not like their job or what.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Default Re: Why do salvage yard guy have a junkyard dog attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAH View Post
I just want to go out in your yard & get what I need, pay ya & leave. Been to yards where the guy hates the government & me being a good listener & letting the guy unload because I'm always intrested in how someone looks at a problem & I need the parts he has. Got out in his yard after 45 minutes & came back & payed him 60 bucks for rain channel molding that went above my windshield on my 54 Merc. Other yards I've been to you just don't know how to take these guys. Do they not like their job or what.

Liability comes to mind as well as being absolute sure that you are going to steal something.

I have been lucky most of my life and always known a junkyard where I could go and dig. Hell when I was in high school one of the local junkyards actually had a tool box for me all set up. Everyone always said that the fella was a total ass, but folks say that about me also. Maybe we were just birds of a feather.

The guy actually took a picture of me and the missus out in the yard one time, her sitting on the tool box all dressed in white and me filthy and grinning. He put it on his bulletin board just to show folks that he really didn't hate young people. A few years back my girl and he ex went in there to look for a part and the picture was still on the board all old and yellowed. She laughed and told the fella behind the counter, " that's my mom and dad." He showed her my tool box and sent her out to the yard.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Master of None
Alliance Member

That's part of the game of talking to people that have something you want or need. Some of what they are doing too is feeling you out to make sure your not casing the place for other parts. Something also tells me that the owner is also feeling you out to make sure your not some one that is going to report little lings; that will add up to big fines for him.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
53sled
Old School HAMBer

they are isolated, and people constantly try to screw em, especially local government. it is a learned behavior.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
coolbreeze1340

I agree with Master. I have ever seen some of the other customers at the yard? If I had to deal with some of these people all day, everyday, I would cop an attitude too. The few yards I go to are pretty cool. The only problem I have is now they know I am into vintage tin and such their prices increased by 20%! LOL Oh well, they have the parts and I don't.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
outlaw256

pic and pull is about the close to the old type yards around here.i do remember kids going into a old yard and throwing things over the fence to be picked up later. and then one kid was climbing on a stack of cars and they fell over somehow.and he got flattened.so porknbeaner is about right on that.but attitude is something that changes with the weather around here.in 100 degree heat the guy is a ass. in 0 degree hes a ass. but when its just right hes ok.lol thats true.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
poolmike

You also have to remember, for every one of us good, paying people....there are 10 morons going in there beating the owner up on his prices. And as 53sled stated, government is trying to destroy these people....I would have an attitude if I was in their shoes.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
HEATHEN
Old School HAMBer

One of the best yards I ever found was owned by a guy who was certifiably nuts. He used to tell us his life story every time we went there......problem is, it changed every time.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Master of None
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHEN View Post
One of the best yards I ever found was owned by a guy who was certifiably nuts. He used to tell us his life story every time we went there......problem is, it changed every time.

Now that's a yard I'd enjoy going to just to hear the stories.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
STURGIS39

They have to deal with all kinds of people. The pull a part and the guy has to talk it over with his wife. They always have to deal with people that do not want to pay their asking price. Maybe the way you are treated is a reflection of your own personality. I like most junk yard owners. There was one in North Vegas that was my favorite. His office was an old school bus. I could wonder around his yard all day long. I never haggled about the price and I think that made future purchases cheaper. I took a friend along one time and he started trying to get the part he wanted cheaper and the owner asked me to never bring the guy back. The owners are not stupid but they are sometimes treated like they are not the brightest people.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
BOWTIE BROWN
Alliance Member

He has something people need , i guess he can act like an ass if he so chooses. I still got to go back.
"B.B.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
39 All Ford
Alliance Member

hangover?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

Because dealing with the public is a bitch!

Some guys could fuck up free lunch.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
choprods
Alliance Vendor

Location: Elmer,Mo.USA All the COOL... people on the HAMB have already been here,why haven't you?

Often times,Salvage yard owners are what their customers have made them into.....
Customers are just as often tearing up more than they buy, swiping stuff, backing out of sales, returning either parts they F-d up installing or even another old part not even bought from the yard,getting injured, bringing small children with them[list goes on and on].....does any of that sound familiar?
One has to really wonder how most salvage yard owners are as charming as they are as a result.....
Old 11-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
Ricks Garage

I have been lucky too.....I can spin a yarn or two and I think that helps when I go to these old yards. Yes these guys have nothing to do so you are their sounding block.
If you don't talk to them they act mean and grumpy. I was at one yard up north FL doing a fire investigation (also the "police" impound yard) I spent two hours talking to the guy and his son about racing and old cars. THEN they let me wander around and found an old fire truck engine that was very interesting. When I travel out of state I will usually ask the motel desk where is the junkyard his/her father took them to when they were younger. It works almost every time.

P.S.: I have been to Elmer, MO

"When life throws you donuts, catch them on your middle finger" RLM
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
exwestracer
Old School HAMBer

We used to go to a yard called Abe & Fergy's (RIP) a lot. It was run by a nice OLD lady at the time. She was a witch. Really.

They had cars all up in the oak trees, brush so thick you couldn't see 5ft... One day we tried to steal a carb after she walked to her house for lunch. After about an hour up in the trees, we came down with some little parts and the carb zipped in the tool bag. She says "$10 for the trim pieces, and $20 for the Stromberg in the bag"... which we had laid on the other side of the driveway. Scared the hell out of us...nothing to do but hand over the money...
Old 11-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
Oilcan Harry

They often have attitudes but, they are smarter than people think. The only truely wealthy person I've ever known made their money owning and operating auto scrapyards.

"..back from victory over the Cretins at Sparta......make that the Spartans at Crete!"
Old 11-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
1971BB427
Old School HAMBer

They're that way because they're tired of stupid questions from amateurs who don't know what they need, then beat them up on pricing after they help them figure out what they wanted.
Most are decent guys if they figure out you're OK too.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #19
mrconcdid

I would like to know how and why my local junk yard charges a "core" charge?
I know its about the money, thats why they do it. But giving them a core is restocking there shelves. There not rebuilding it! I just think they should call this fee something else and not hide behind a "core charge"

MrC.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #20
rustyfords
BANNED

Up until about 10 years ago, there was a yard in Comfort, TX that had stuff from the 1920s - 70's. The old man who owned it was notoriously grouchy and sometimes wouldn't even let people enter the yard at all.

I started going there when I was 14 and staying with my grandmother during the summers. I've always had a way with these types of guys....I listen to their stories, I compliment their stuff, I ask questions and actually LISTEN to the answers.

Over the next few years, he got to where he'd let me wander the yard by myself....and I don't think he did that with very many people.

I think that's the key with the quirky, grouchy types....LISTENING.....it's an art that far too few people know how to practice these days.

That same grandmother used to say, "If your mouth is moving, you ain't learning anything".