Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 11-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Sutton Speed

Default **Stromberg 97 3x2 Issue! HELP!!!!**

Alright guys, here's my issue... 3x2 setup with freshly rebuilt Stromberg 97's on a sbc. Summit electric fuel pump with a Holley low pressure regulator with a Mooneyes pressure gauge off of the open port on the regulator.

Have about 400 miles on the setup with it running flawlessly then one day it starts running a little funny for a few runs then all of a sudden there is fuel GUSHING out of the top of the primary carb. I messed around with the regulator a bit and could never get it fixed so it sat in the garage for a week or so.

Go back out today, car fires right up, check pressure and its set right at 2 psi. Drove the car for a few miles and it seemed to run ok, checked the fuel pressure gauge again and it seemed to drop pressure on its own to 1 psi and then 0 psi a few minutes later according to the gauge. Drove home and tried messing with the pressure but could never get it to show any pressure on the gauge but car was still running. Then once again fuel starts gushing out of the top of the primary carb (look at attached picture to see where from) and car will not run. If I turn the pressure down SUPER low the car will run for 30 seconds or so but then die I'm guessing due to lack of fuel, but then if you turn pressure back up to 2 psi or so it starts gushing fuel again.

Any ideas on what's going on? It's obvious that the issue has something to do with fuel pressure but what could the issue be?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stromberg leak.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1494422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Pump.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1494423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Regulator.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1494424  

Last edited by Sutton Speed; 11-27-2011 at 09:14 PM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
DICK SPADARO

Default Re: **Stromberg 97 3x2 Issue! HELP!!!!**

First junk that electric fuel pump before it burns your ride to the ground. Your original ford fuel pump will work perfectly fine with three carbs. NO high pressure, no pressure regulator, no extra crap to give you problems.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Sutton Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICK SPADARO View Post
First junk that electric fuel pump before it burns your ride to the ground. Your original ford fuel pump will work perfectly fine with three carbs. NO high pressure, no pressure regulator, no extra crap to give you problems.
Problem is, it's a newer sbc block so I have to use an electric pump. Wish I didn't have to...

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked
Alliance Member

Yes - you can go back to the tried and true original - and sometimes they're not all that easy to set up either - as many mechanical pumps will put out more pressure than a Stromberg can handle.

Another option is to get another fuel pressure regulator - as that seems to be the real issue you're having. I'd go that route first . . . probably the easiest. I've had issues with regulators before.

Another thing - do you have a good fuel filter on it? Any crap gets in the regulator or into the needle/seat . . . can cause your issues in a hurry.

Also - if you don't have one, get a good fire extinguisher - nothing like lots of raw fuel around hot engines, exhaust and distributors to cause a fire. (I know, now I'm sounding like "Dad")

Best of luck!

B&S
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

I can't tell you for certain how to fix your issues but I can tell you that I got a a Carter p4070 which a lot of guys use on flatheads because it's only rated to like 4psi or some thing. Then I went and got a fancy King Malapassi Fuel Filter/Regulator that they use on vintage ferraris to set the psi at 2. You issue might be in the fact that Holley has had some issues with those regulators. Or it might be that you have something clogging the line.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJames View Post
I can't tell you for certain how to fix your issues but I can tell you that I got a a Carter p4070 which a lot of guys use on flatheads because it's only rated to like 4psi or some thing. Then I went and got a fancy King Malapassi Fuel Filter/Regulator that they use on vintage ferraris to set the psi at 2. You issue might be in the fact that Holley has had some issues with those regulators. Or it might be that you have something clogging the line.
Thought I'd heard of everything until I saw this post! The beauty of the internet - took 10 seconds to find it. I bet it works better than the POS Holley regulators (never liked them anyway). Thanks for the tip!

Here is a link - not too expensive in the long run . . . beats a torched car!

http://www.weberjets.com/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=2

I did a bit of searching, some of them come with glass or aluminum filter bowls in addition to the regulator -- nice vintage looking stuff. Saw a few on "the bay".

Best of luck,

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 11-27-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
DICK SPADARO

OOps, I thought it was a flat motor. Anyway, the first place to look is in the area you have been fuel pressure regulator. Check the brand and construction, if it has a rubber diaphragm there is a good chance that the new powers to be EPA friendly POS fuel has affected the diaphragm. Since this was running ok and then died there is a pretty good reason that the regulator is at fault. Borrow a good fuel pressure tester to check the out put which should be a steady 2lbs. If the pressure fluctuates then the issue is with the regulator. If you can borrow another brand regulator try that as a check also. Since all three carbs aren't burping it sounds like the main carb is closest to the fuel block divide line and when that carb burps the pressure is relieved and the other carbs don't leak. The next area to check is the needle seat in the carb some of those are rubber tipped and they dont like the new fuel either. I think you are looking in the right direction, that the pressure regulator is the issue.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Sutton Speed

Thanks guys. Definitely think I'm gonna try a new regulator to start. Do you think I'm gonna have to replace anything in the carbs if they did see high fuel pressures??

Old 11-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

Here's the one I have. It's a fuel filter and regulator all in one and has a pretty good reputation. They are kind of big but at least they look pretty cool...

Oh and there is a guy on ebay from time to time that sells them for $36.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
junk yard kid

prabably not, i have the same regulator and sometimes it goes all out of whack. My intervals are farther apart then yours tho.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
SinisterCustom
Old School HAMBer

I'd be looking inside the "freshly rebuilt" carbs if it were me......
Could be a float with a pinhole in it....
Old 11-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
petew
Grenade Inspector

I run a pair of 97's on my model A banger motor and had the same problem.

First thing is to replace that fuel pump with one made by a company named Facet ( google it) . They make a low pressure pump that puts out 2-3 psi. Mount it back by the tank and by the time the gas gets to the carbs you have 2 psi without a regulator.

I run this pump on my car and have no more fuel gushing problems. I also suggest putting little 1/4" fuel shut off valves on each of your three fuel lines. They can be used to shut fuel off to a problem carb if you have an issue miles from home. I used shut off valves I purchased from eBay that are used on small engines ( lawn mowers ).

Last thing is to replace your fuel inlet valves in the 97's with Grosse Jets , I got mine from Speedway. 600 trouble free miles since I did these things on my car.

Pete
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Bored&Stroked
Alliance Member

Yeah, it won't have hurt anything!

The biggest problems that fuel gushing out of Strombergs used to cause me was to get the wooden handle of that big ole' screwdriver in my glovebox all wet and stinky with gas - didn't like the smell of all that gas competing with the smell of oil burning on my exhaust pipes from my rear main leaking

As you probably guessed by now - I used to bang the tops of the fuel bowls . . . like everybody else used to do who ran good ole' Strombergs. Seems most of the old Strombergs I rebuilt had 'witness marks' on the tops!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
nexxussian
Alliance Member

Maybe I'm nuts, but if the fuel pressure reads zero, and only one carb is puking, sounds like either a gross valve issue (trash in it, you are using the gross valves ?) or a sticking float.

If it is too high of a fuel pressure then why aren't all 3 projectile vomiting fuel?

Specifically thinking that once the valve for the center carb is open, it's flowing more than your pump/regulator combo can deliver, hence the pressure drop.

What kind of filter are you running now?

'Cause it's s'posed to be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Goggles View Post
I mean Ive got an angle grinder and a hot metal pump who says I can't make my own manifolds
Old 11-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
zeuglodon
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterCustom View Post
I'd be looking inside the "freshly rebuilt" carbs if it were me......
Could be a float with a pinhole in it....
First place I'd look is a sticky/dirty needle and seat. Just because the carbs have been rebuilt doesn't mean they couldn't have some crud in there. That would also explain why only one carb is gushing.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
nexxussian
Alliance Member

Dang, some of you guys sure type fast.

'Cause it's s'posed to be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Goggles View Post
I mean Ive got an angle grinder and a hot metal pump who says I can't make my own manifolds
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
flattyv8
Alliance Member

Just and FYI, I've had some issues with my flatty and one of my problems was a flakey pressure gauge!

By the way JefferJames, I like your suggestions!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #18
HomemadeHardtop57
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJames View Post
Here's the one I have. It's a fuel filter and regulator all in one and has a pretty good reputation. They are kind of big but at least they look pretty cool...

Oh and there is a guy on ebay from time to time that sells them for $36.

that malapassi rig is the shit..havent seen them before
Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #19
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomemadeHardtop57 View Post
that malapassi rig is the shit..havent seen them before
There's one sitting on my driver's side frame rail. Fuel line come through the rail and then up to the King Regulator then to the carbs. It really is a pretty nice looking piece with the size being the only complaint.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
V8 Bob
Alliance Member

Your problem is most likely with a carb float and/or the inlet valve. Check for fuel in the float, float setting, and the type of inlet valve. If you make a change, the best valves are the Gross ball-type valves sold by Uncle Max, made in England by Stromberg. This goes for any other 97 parts you need.
There is nothing wrong with the fuel pump, or regulator you're using, ( The're NOT POS) and the Carter #4070 pump is also a very good one. You can check for foreign material and condition of the diaphragm very easily in the regulator by removing the 4 screws, and rebuild (if necessary) kits come with a new diaphragm and a low and high pressure spring. You DO have to run a good fuel filter before the pump. Keep the pressure 2-2 1/2 psi.
IF the pressure gauge you have is liquid-filled, odds are it will NOT read correctly after a few minutes of operation. Drain the liquid, and the gauge will operate like it should. This gauge problem has been covered several times in the past. IMO.