Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hokey Ass Engine Mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53 COE, Nov 26, 2011.

1. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Anyone got pics of more Half Ass engine mounts than these....

Funny thing is - the Half Ass artist attached the wierd springs and turn buckes to brand new engine mounts attached to the '72 350 in my '57 Chev truck chrome and suede project...........

[​IMG]

Brothers truck parts to the rescue - backordered engine mount crossmember finally arrived and bolted in last week..... Easy install .... $47 well spent during the October sale. Ordered along with the chrome bling bling parts, bumpers, headlight bezels, grille, mirrors, tail lights etc.

Got rid of the miss-located biscuit mounts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. That is some special shit right there. Love the spring... I could almost see using the turn buckle as a torque limiter if it were something stronger than that and not installed horizontally.

Jeff

3. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

My guess is the spring was most likely used as a make-shift torque shock. Probably to make up for the lack of motor mount.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A new set of biscuits would have made a big difference in those peg mounts. They were good enough for the first 3 years of Chevy V8s and when bad were bad, six or eight.

5. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Yep - Ran them on my '40 Jimmy 6 banger - but note how they put them on closer together scabbed on plates - not at the wider OEM mounting holes. This V-8 rock-n-rolled like the Titanic.... The genius went to a lot of trouble to avoid the factory mounting holes.

:D

6. Great googgly mooggly.
    Did that genius do any other engineering?
    Rubber band return springs, bobby pin cotter keys, bubble gum bumper bolts ?

7. josh highley

josh highley

I don't know what every ones problem is. Those mounts are genius!

8. squirrel

squirrel

If the truck has a manual transmission with the original bellhousing mounts on the crossmember, then it's fine with the spindly mounts up front. If it has an automatic with a rear mount, then you definitely needed to do the side mount thing, looks like you did a good job fixing a flaky installation.

here's the spindly ones holding up the front of a big block. with some aluminum adapters and the original small block brackets, with the lower end of the mount in the 6 cylinder location. Works great, because I kept the stock bellhousing mounts. You can see the factory riveted small block V8 brackets behind the front crossmember.

[​IMG]

9. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

It's runnng a Hyrda-Matic circa 1957? behind the '72 350........... I like those aluminum adapters though - that truly is genius there.

:cool:

10. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

I've got the tranny mounts to go with those:

[​IMG]

11. squirrel

squirrel

Is there a mount(s) at the front of the transmission? like at the bellhousing sides?

12. Oh Shit ! rev her 4000 rpm and let the clutch go

13. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Nope - Single in the rear. She rocked pretty good, hence the turn buckles.

;)

Shot a pic for ya' even though I covered the whole truck in masking today. Getting ready to shoot the insides of the bed/gate, rear bumper brackets and side steps in hot rod satin black acrylic enamel that will be delivered this coming week. I was going to use black lacquer primer before painting the rest of the truck so less to mask. But the uncatalyzed acrylic enamel the previous genius used likes to wrinkle under anything else. Only way I got the truck all in grey epoxy primer was going real light with 4 coats until it was covered. Fixed 50+ dents that were painted over too - needless to say - the bodywork skills match the engine mounting abilities. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Oh my.:eek:

15. 62rebel

62rebel

i wish i had pics of the OT '70 Torino that i had....
    PO had cut the frame mounts loose from the crossmember and welded them back in 2'' to the right. why?
    so he could put a truck 4spd (granny gear first/overdrive 4th) in the car.

i didn't realize what the MF'er had done until i had swapped in a 5.0/C4 and ran into all kinds of shit lining it up. not only THAT; he'd chopped two bigass holes in the firewall and front apron to use truck clutch linkage.

i bet i used four pounds of fluxcore wire and twelve square feet of 16ga to patch that sonofabitch up. lucky i was able to find good frame mounts and the right linkage for the A/T.

16. squirrel

squirrel

that's not a 57 hydramatic, that's a TH400.

17. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Have not found I.D. tags to get a positive I.D. - But it says Hydra-Matic Div of GMC right on the pan.....

Good pics here.................

:cool:

18. the three kings

the three kings
    from Texas

Turbo 400 say that on the pan

19. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Found this thread on tranny I.D. - Don't see a S/N stamped above the pan on the drivers side. At any rate, must be a '72 truck turbo 400 then, same as the engine. I did I.D. the engine by it's stamped code V0217TRL.

Thanks for setting me straight. ;)

20. squirrel

squirrel

I worked at a junkyard and a transmission shop for a while 30 years ago, I can positively ID a TH400 by glancing at it.

Looks like you're learning this stuff pretty quickly too.

Did you find the tag riveted on the side of the transmission? sometimes they're missing.

21. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Here's some pretty hokey ass welding/"fabrication" as found under the hood of my '64 F100. This mount basically fell apart, was crushed smashed, and then welded together in the position you see in the pic. It was attached to the frame with a half inch thick weld on the bottom side.... only. Just tacked up top. To top it all off the engine was just sitting on this thing, held down by one bolt in a hogged out hole, by its own weight. It was scary... like "f-word" scary.

[​IMG]

22. todztoyz

todztoyz

Well thought out, simple engineering, engine torques to that side, why the hell the need for a nut!

23. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

No ID tags found - the tranny ID link in that thread said to look for a machined pad on the drivers side above the pan. That round tranny mount threw me too - used to the rectangle mount....

At least the tranny crossmember looks a bit more solid.

:D

24. squirrel

squirrel

The tag should be pretty easy to see if it's there...

[​IMG]

The TRL 350 engine in 1972 trucks was used with a TH350 in 4x4 applications, so I doubt the transmission is from the same truck as the engine.

25. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Cleaned off the tag - Here's what it reads..... Correction - MF in large etters at top too.

M F

84 MF - 29807

Have not fig'd out the decode on it yet..........

:confused:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  26. 71Dart440

71Dart440
    from Wichita KS

Might can this if too far off the topic, but reminded me of a pick up that drove over a mattress and kept going...driver reported a "shimmy" and couldn't understand what it was...
    Definitely from the same skill set of the human race

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. squirrel

squirrel

84 means its from 1984, out of a truck.

28. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Found this about other makes that have Turbo 400's in them...

>

More exotic brands that came with Turbo 400s (knowing it was the best in the business and/or couldn't manage to make a decent transmission themselves):

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>MA: <TD>1984-88 AM General 4WD Military Truck <TR><TD>FV: <TD>1981-82 Avanti with 350 V-8; Excalibur (?) <TR><TD>N: <TD>1973-82 Checker <TR><TD>FE, FG: <TD>1977-80 Ferrari (V-12) <TR><TD>E: <TD>1971-78 Holden (never heard of this ... anyone?) <TR><TD>Z: <TD>1976-88 Jaguar <TR><TD>K and J: <TD>1965-79 Jeep <TR><TD>EA: <TD>1969-76 Opel Diplomat <TR><TD>RV: <TD>Revcon Motor Home <TR><TD>R: <TD>1966-88 Rolls Royce <TR><TD>ET, EV: <TD>1977-88 Volvo Truck </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  29. Never heard of a holden? Australian division of GM

That squirrel knows his shit

30. Never heard of a holden? Australian division of GM

That squirrel knows his shit