Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: PCV valve install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stickylifter, Jul 28, 2005.

1. There was a great post called something like "Everything you ever wanted to know about PCV valves" that I read a week or two ago... but I've been searching for it for 15 minutes and I can't find it. And what with DIRTY T having an air cleaner now, I needed something else to put on to continue our high-tech war. So, I put a PCV valve in my edelbrock manifold last night.

First, I had to snoop around and find a valve and grommet. I settled on a PCV from any old 5.7 L V8 Chevy, and found this grommet, also from a Chevy... a 3 liter or something... that looked like it would fit. Then I bought them.

PN#: PCV = Fram FV184, Grommet = HELP 42313

Then I used a circle template to find out what size hole fit the grommet best... you know, those art supply templates for drawing circles. Like anything, you just keep sticking it in the holes until you find one you like.

Okay, I have to go to a meeting in a second here, so more an this later... stupid job...

Attached Files:

2. Okay, next you drill a hole. If you actually do this, study this hole placement carefully because the very middle of this flat area is where you want to drill. The curved down area on the driver's side is a runner, and you don't want to drill in to that!

Get a shop vac and turn it on to suck up the aluminum shavings while you're drilling. I would be hesitant to do this with a steel (or iron or whatever stock is) manifold because if you lose any shavings in the valley they can do a lot of damage. But this manifold is aluminum, and aluminum, as we all know, is mainly made out of beer cans, and since I can crush a beer can on my head, I figure the shavings are soft enough for the engine to grind up if some tiny shavings fall in there. Fortunately, none did. There is a small ridge that needed a little grinding on the underside so that the grommet would seat well.

Ah shoot... gotta go...

Attached Files:

• hole.jpg
      hole.jpg
      File size:
      59.7 KB
      Views:
  3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I must be looking at it wrong..It looks to me like you are putting the PCV valve into the intake plenum.

Shouldn't we be seeing lifters and push rods through the PCV hole???

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting for the next step :)

5. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

maybe it's me. i must of missed something too...:confused:

the PCV valve goes into the valve cover and you drill a hole in your air cleaner. correct? i use the front of my Edelbrock carb for the PCV hook up and the one in the back for the PWR brake booster. simple and no drilling.

6. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

7. If you're not carefull, you will drill right into the plenum, but I didn't. Optimally, I would have done this with the manifold off so I could see what was under my drill, but I figured that if I drilled into the runners, then I had a good excuse to ditch this swap meet special and buy a manifold with a breather/oilfill in the front like I want. :)

For you see, I have these really bichin' Cal Custom rocker covers that I can't bear to drill holes in. They have super cool Moon Engine Compartment Oilers (or "breathers" as they are sometimes called) on them, so I decided to put the PCV valve in the valley by the dizzy. Can anyone find that great PCV tech post from a couple weeks ago? After reading that, I thought that this would be a good location.

Okay, so next step: Secure a Malleable Tubing Plotter (Speedway PN# 1313-666, or I sell them for $17.95) and come up with the routing to get your crancase gas up to the front of your carb. Try coming up with some idea that will look totally OEM. Make sure to include impossible bends that you can't possibly make right with a cheap tubing bender.

Attached Files:

8. You forget, I know how this ends. Do you guys think that I'm doing this live or something?

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

10. I had to take a utility knife and cut another 1/16th of an inch out of the groove in the grommet so it was wide enough to accomodate the manifold. Then I put it all together... but I didn't let the paint dry enough on my tube so I'll have to redo that part. But overall I think it looks fairly clean.

Oh, yeah, and it runs great. I was running really rich, and was going to re-jet, but I figured I ought to do this first. It leaned out the mix.

Attached Files:

11. Yep! Thanks! I couldn't find it to save me life. The second one I had never seen... gary55 has a really great looking setup!! I wish I'd seen his before I did mine, I would have looked harder for a screw-in PCV. All the screw-in types I found were for small Mitsubishis and stuff. I figured that they would be restrictive during WOT, which is one of two gas-pedal-positions I use.

12. nice job , where does the oil go in?

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

let me guess, you pull a cover off a breather?

14. Oil?

Okay, well, um, this is going to sound silly, but, I have to tape a funnel to my dipstick! :) It takes for-freakin-ever! The only reason I do that is becaise I did take the valve cover off once, and that sucked too because I pored the oil kinda fast, thinking it would run down into the case, and it just sort of welled up in the lower part of the top of the head and then started running down the side onto the exhaust manifold.

What can I tell ya, I don't have the money for a new intake with a filler tube hole, and I love my cal customs too much to compromise. I want to drill a hole for a filler tube like the 60s 350s had, but I haven't done it yet. When the PITA of filling through the dipstic gets to be too much, I'll do it. Anone got a filler tube for sale/trade?

15. DrJ

DrJ

Now you can just pull the PCV and put a bigger funnel in the grommet hole and pour the oil into the valley, or #8 cylinder, which ever is the case.
    :cool:

16. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

i got a filler tube i got at the swap meet:D and the hole saw to drill the hole in the intake.... but this may be a dumb question... aint ya just rerouting vacume back out of the intake into the carb? i may be wroing but how does the crank case pressure get into the intake? The old motors like caddys and shit had a set uplike this but they went into the valley cover. so shouldnt the valve be in the lower part of the intake?

17. HAHAHAHAHAAAHA!

18. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I'd recommend a zerk fitting in the oil pan...

You could just pump the 5 courts in with a hand pump.

19. Well, there are two schools of thought:

1) Dude, fuck no! C'mon dude! Man, have I ever steered you wrong? Dude, I'm the man when it comes to small blocks, man! I can put a whole small block together in an HOUR, man!

2) There is consensus out there that all I have done is drilled a hole in my intake runner. If I have, than I'm doing what you describe. But it runs better than ever! When you put on your manifold, it's right over the lifter valley, which is part of the crank case, (right? - tell me I'm right) and as long as you can make a hole that doesen't go through a runner, you're in the crank case. The area in front of the dizzy is the only place I could think of that would go there without hitting a runner...

Now I have seen guys running engines where they had mistakenly put the distributor on the front of the engine! HA! Can you imagine! I don't know if my way will work on that type of set up, but those guys have bigger issues anyway because their engines run like shit.

20. DrJ

DrJ

I usta run the cheap chrome VCer's with only one hole eachand one was the PCV and the other the vent to the air cleaner so I put oil in the PCV grommet for years.

I've got some LT1 style Vcer's now and they have a real "710" cap on them.

21. HAHAHA! I was just going to run a gas/oil mix like on my snowblower... I never have to change the oil on that thing! Anybody out there wanna give me a recommendation? 32:1, 50:1? What?

22. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

That's how it was on the 327 in my shoebox too...

I wasn't mocking you...

Oh, wait... Now I am. ;)

23. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

I might be missing the joke here and looking stupid :confused: :( but like dirtyT said it looks like your just getting vacuum out of your new setup unless you went right thru the bottom of the manifold then you'd be drawing in crankcase pressue thru the valley same way it would work in the valve cover

24. DrJ

DrJ

I think you still need either a pre-PCV-system type draft tube, a breather, or another "hole" open to the crankcase with a hose going to the air cleaner (like every stock Chevy closed system has) to suck up the high speed blowby that the puny hole in a PCV Valve can't possibly handle.
    Otherwise the pressure will just vacate past the weakest pan, timing cover, valve cover, or manifold-end gasket. :(

I had a friend have that kind of leak on a 350 in a '65 Impala and when he said "I even put two PCV valves on it" I knew what was wrong. Removing the extra valve he put in the hose going to the aircleaner, and just running it open as it's designed, fixed it.

25. You are precisely right! The wild card here is whether or not I went through an intake runner. I am going to pull the PCV tonight and confirm by performing two tests as suggested by HAMBers:

1) I recieved a PM from a senior member that told me that if I could take my tubing plotter and put it through the hole and touch a lifter, that I was all right.

2) I will also be pouring oil into the hole to see if it's the crankcase or the #7 cylinder.

3) I only said two tests, not three! Gawd! Get off my back!

If it turns out that I did what you suggest, then look for my next tech post: TECH: Recirculated Manifold Vacuum Valve Install.

26. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Ok, this post is confusing as hell but I think in his forst post he said that the Cal Custom VCs had breathers on them...

27. What I have is a couple of big Moon breathers that'll spray a mist of oil all over instead. :)

Attached Files:

28. Yeah, i'm with lowsprings. What the FUCK are you doing? You're like the Pied Piper when all the mice follow you off the pier and die in the ocean.

29. You could just try to start the fucker and see if loose items around your garage get sucked into the hole you bored. Fuck, i'm funny!

30. DrJ

DrJ

Yea, I see one of them in the other pictures now....
    It's good information for others following this "stunt" ;) at any rate.
    Even if Kilroy does have trouble following simple instructions.... ;) :rolleyes: :D :cool: