Register now to get rid of these ads!

A nod to the '41 Mercury...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Agreed Jay...El Jefe Merc is the Kat's Meow....
    I remember riding in it........it's beautiful....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Very nice car. Oh yes.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

Iam building one now, 41 merc convt hard to find parts for but the Fordbard and the Hamb helped me find almost all the parts that I needed. (thanks Ryan) found nos front fenders, some dash parts. hood. I found the 41 on cregslist, poor old guy was moving and coulnt take it with him I guess. nice car no rust at all in the body, was inside since the late 70's he told me. We are trying to get the car done for Santa Maria in May next year. it will be chopped 3'1/2 in tail lights on bumper, filled hood and nose, plate in trunk lid like in the 40's simple but classic. now I can say Iam worken on my merc (what you got a 49?) no its a 41 so if you have any stanless trim......

5. That is one of my favorite cars of all time, and the inspiration for my 41 Ford convertible. Thanks for posting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. flamingokid

flamingokid

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've been falling deeper and deeper into 30-41 Mercs and Fords in the last year or so. It's the best of both worth as far as I am concerned. It's a custom with a back seat for the fam and till an early ford! I would trade my 33 3w and my '54 Chevy I think to have one. I'd be killing to birds with one stone.

This just make me week in the knees....
    [​IMG]

8. Beautiful car. They make such a great custom with a nice chop.
    ps, if anyone has experience in chopping one of these and making it fold down correctly please pm me. I have a 41' Ford conv.

9. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

550coupe tex smith's book how to chop tops has a small part on how to cut down the top irons.

10. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

oh ya my 41 is going to have blackwall tires and one bars too.

11. '41 Merc coupes are on my list of "If I stumble across one, I have to build it." There was one for sale recently in the Northern California foothills...I'm not sure if it ever sold, the seller has a handful of cars at any given time and doesn't always advertise 'em. The last thing I really need is a distraction from my current project, but how cool would it be to cruise this.....

[​IMG]

Let's see it!

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  12. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

Rusk hard for me to post pic's , but I have a phone full of them on the car.

13. Rikster

Rikster

I think the 1941 Mercury is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. They makereally fantastic customs from mild to wild. And it has always wondered me why not more of them where or are done as Customs.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  14. Mkilger, Thanks,what I should do is start a separate thread. I need some input from others on this.

15. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

...Very cool, indeed; Big, roomy, sleek & svelte rides like these are easy on the eyes...Lots to choose fm. for project material in the '39-'48 Ford/Merc. prod. period..."The road less traveled" by fellow enthusiasts can sometimes produce unexpectedly pleasing results....

FYI to all '41 Merc. owners reading this thread RE: "41 MERC PARTS needed/4 sale. Yes they are hard to find. My bro. recently acquired a very nice, complete black EARLY production '41 Merc. 4dr. sedan he's currently turning into a "resto- hot rod". He has acquired most of the missing pc.'s he's needed, and therefore has acquired some extra pc.'s. Still needs a s.s. ft. fender molding; early prod. '41 Merc.'s have thin s.s. fender trim (appx. 1/4" thick) & they are the same for lf./rt. ft. fenders. Maybe some '41 Merc. owners who are removing their trim might have the pc. of trim he's looking for, or maybe he has a trim pc. (deck lid bezel, "bullnose" molding, grille guard emblem, ft. grille insert, etc.) another '41 Merc. owner needs? Contact me if interested.

16. Beautiful cars.....I have a '41 Merc coupe shell I was hoping to build. But I have way too many other projects, so it's up for sale....

17. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

I also found the cal custom dash trim that is pot metal and is chromed for a 41 merc Iam thinking about having them remade if anyone would want a set let me know.

18. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

thats one awesome looking ride!

19. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Just amazing... Love it.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. sololobo

sololobo

Oh yeah, Steve's Merc is the bomb!! Pix are not the best, but you get the drift. ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

21. afaulk

afaulk

I had a 41 coupe that i always regretted selling. They look like Marilyn Monroe from the back end. That convert is worth killing for.

22. Dave Conrad in St. Louis restored that Merc. 11 years ago. It's the real thing built in the late '40s in Southern Calif.

23. Rikster

Rikster

1941 Mercury 4-door Joe Brenner. Valley Custom Shop built this one.

[​IMG]

A mild unidentified coupe

[​IMG]

Early photo of the Black Beauty posted on page 1 (TRJ scan)

[​IMG]

Early Custom convertible with Padded top and questionable Lincoln grille.

[​IMG]

Another photo of Bill DeCarr's 1941 Mercury business Coupe

[​IMG]

Bob Tormey's 1941 Mercury Coupe done by Barris (Photos from the Tom Nielsen Collection)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Is that a Washington license plate?

25. Rikster

Rikster

Yes it is. Bob Tormey was from Yakima, WA.

26. That is awesome! Is this car still around that you know of? If it's "lost", I gotta new one to chase ;)

27. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Schwing!!! Damn sexy

28. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]

This 4-door is one of my all time favorite customs it just has the correct look, every time I see one of these (Ford or Mercury), I think back about this car...

29. Rikster

Rikster

I have not heard anything about this car being still around today...
    I do hope it still is though!