Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Professional Automobile Thief

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Wow. Quite an elaborate scheme. This guy was a smooth talking manipulator, with a network of people available beneath him.

At least he had good taste in Automoblies with massive engines and HP ( for the era) that could out run the cops for a time.

Story would make a cool movie.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

And he was released @ age 53 ... after killing more than one person ???

Weird.

Neat story .

4. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Is that James Arness in the pic? What movie is that from?

5. I agree O/T, but it was a cool read. X2 on making it a movie!

6. ryno

ryno

great read, thanks for giving it a second look and reconsidering the thread.
    image what he thought of the vehicles when he got outta jail in 53! quite an improvement from what he was used to stealing.

7. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

Very interesting, what happened next? Yeah that's James Arness from the movie "THEM"

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes, that looks like (the late) James Arness.

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

10. belair

belair

I'm surprised he didn't get (deservedly) shot. If he was stealing 32 roadsters today, we would all be calling for his head on a stick.

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

That is a good read. I was imagining the conditions of the mid-20's...the cars, the roads, the communication systems. So much more primative than today, but perhaps more enjoyable, in a way?

I don't mind an OT thread on here, as long as it has some sort of connection to the automobile. This one sure fits the bill.

unfortunately, some very interesting automotive based reads have been recently getting deleted.

thanks for sharing this interesting story

12. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

that was a pretty cool story. not as O.T. as some of the stuff that pops up here once in a while. i'm glad you posted it. would really like to know what ever became of this guy after he got out.

13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Neat story......that was one smooth guy....
    Cheers.....

14. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

THANKS RYAN!!

Up front if there was not a " Spell Check " I could not say much of anything.
    I will be 65 3 Dec 11 - I have got away with hiding this or least would not tell it.
    I am dyslexic lot of other stuff - Talking face to face with ya you would never know it. In the world of mechanical working there is a lot of us out there.

You can not know one's " Intelligence Buy The Width Of His Billfold "

Thank you Ryan for taking the time to read it - I got a big old smile

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  15. OSchlab

OSchlab
    from Omaha

X2. off topic is a wide gray area

Omar

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

one thing this story proves to me is this..

All car theifs should be treated like horse theifs were..and should still hold true to this day, although sadly they arnt and continue to get away with their crime

Hang em High

17. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

That was very cool!! I like how the sheriff in Pecos just allowed him to drive back to his hotel, unaccompanied to get the registration papers for the Caddy!! Different times for sure!! Can you imagine how out of place that big, green Caddy with the young driver, must have looked on the streets of Pecos?? They even went on to say that this sheriff had captured several car thieves in the past!!

Makes me wonder too where this guy was going to swap engines and such. He must have had some good connections and mechanical skills.

18. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I have met LB+1 and talked to him for hours. He is intelligent and very knowledgeable about old cars and has an intense interest in the things we like. He does have difficulty with constructing printed sentences and it is sometimes difficult to get the meaning of what he writes. This story is fascinating and a lot more on topic than a lot of threads on this website. For those who have difficulty with the definition of a traditional hotrod, look in the magazines from the 40s and 50s. You wont find International trucks or 48-52 Dodge cars or trucks

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Amend that to include murderers to the above...problem is the ACLU is too stinking liberal and thinks murderers can be rehabilitated...they can't, it's been proven time and time again...and car thieves are nearly as bad.

R-

20. dmikulec

dmikulec

What a great story, glad it made it back to the HAMB for the rest of us to enjoy!

21. racer756

racer756

This was the original " Gone in 60 seconds" or hours....

great read.

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

yes it was interesting.i followed the links available and got to reading about alot of the 20s and 30s gangsters.i have got a interest in 30s gansters as my great uncle john t moore ran with charles artur floyd.was suppose to meet in in a few days but charlie got killed before they could meet up. my uncle served a bunch of years in a texas prison until his brother bought his way out.i met him and became very good freinds with himwhen he was in his mid 70s and until his death in the mid 80s.he lived just to relive those days. it was all he ever talked about.and i listened.and i did confirm his tales so that made it all that much more important to me to listen to the old man. a talking history tour.

23. Turnipseed

Turnipseed

The picture is of James Arness from the movie "Them" about giant ants. My wife is the expert on that type of movie.

24. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Great story. My Grandfather ran a Pierce Arrow Dealership, and so I know how beautiful--and expensive they were. He told me a story about a car thief here on the Main Line, a wealthy area of Philadelphia, back in the 70s.

Well dressed man arrives at an upscale dealership (astons, jags, rolls,ferrari, etc) in a limo. Tells the sales guy he's a wealthy heir to Pew fortune (a local name), wants to buy a new lambo for cash, but wants to drive it first. Tells the sales guy, my driver will just wait for me here, can you make arrangements with him whiel I am driving. Off he goes, the sales guy talks to the limo driver--and yup, he's just a hired driver, no connection to the guy whatsoever. Lambo is gone for good, on its way to meet a truck hiding down the street. People get fooled by appearances and smooth talk. It's human.

25. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Great story. My Grandfather ran a Pierce Arrow Dealership, and so I know how beautiful--and expensive they were. He told me a story about a car thief here on the Main Line, a wealthy area of Philadelphia, back in the 70s.

Well dressed man arrives at an upscale dealership (astons, jags, rolls,ferrari, etc) in a limo. Tells the sales guy he's a wealthy heir to Pew fortune (a local name), wants to buy a new lambo for cash, but wants to drive it first. Tells the sales guy, my driver will just wait for me here, can you make arrangements with him while I am driving. Off he goes, the sales guy talks to the limo driver--and yup, he's just a hired driver, no connection to the guy whatsoever. Lambo is gone for good, on its way to meet a truck hiding down the street. People get fooled by appearances and smooth talk. It's human.

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

""upon his death in 1983 his hiers were informed they had inherited a warehouse located on the bad side of St Louis. when they opened the doors for the first time in 75 years they were suprised to discover a stash of 37 high priced cars from the 20's all with less than 1000 miles on them.

unfortunatly, due to combination of a leaky roof, varmints and vandals it was determined by a local "expert" that all the cars were beyond restoration and crushed for scrap.""
    :eek:

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Off-topic, but a great piece of history, and a great story. Interesting time in american history, and I think that if it wasnt for the influence of the great depression followed by WWII, hot rodding might have looked alot different in the late fortys and early fifties.

28. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

OT... but great historic info.... of the type you procure here on the good old HAMB!

29. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Interesting story.

30. Heo2

Heo2

????????Whats so amasing and cool with that story?????
    A simple car thief and murder who get caught!!!
    Great mecanical skills to change chassie and engine nr????
    Same as the hype with bonnie and clyde white trash that
    got what they deserved