Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sam's Safe Car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Joey7319

Joey7319

That`s cool. I also like to take my kids out as often as possible they are 5 & 8 but I`m allways a lot more careful when they are with me. They had a blast at the jalopyrama.

3. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

When I bought my first 59 F100 in the late 80s the first thing I did was put some good seat belts in it for a child seat. My son was just a toddler and I picked him up from day care daily. Nice article.

[​IMG]

4. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

I remember sitting in the middle of the bench seats in my dad's car. He let me shift when it was time....now child protective services would be called.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. KFC

KFC
    from UK

I survived years of cars with no seat belts when I was small even driving around standing on the back seat holding on to the cross bar of my dads 2cv . Those where the days

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm always amazed that the majority of folks feel that the life of a child is intrinsically worth more than that of an adult. When people say "Some kid could have gotten killed" I always respond "Yeah, or even some adult."

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think you would have to have kids to understand it. I'd give my life or take someone else's in a split second to preserve my own kid's safety. It's a weird animalistic thing that can't be explained... at least by me.

fauj, VANDENPLAS and HEMI32 like this.
  8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn, Sam built some really nice cars. That thing is very tasteful and I would give an arm for it.

I mistakenly bought my '35 thinking that there would be a ton more room in there for the family and there was until I got a seat in there and realized that there was not much difference between that and a 32. At least not enough to squeeze a family in since I don't plan on putting my son in the rumble until he's quite a bit older. But I think with some clever positioning and some stretch armstrong like shifting habits I could squeezt the Britax car seat in there and have some fun with him and my wife......until the next child comes.

I guess I should get started on the '54 I have that's been sitting for 5 years. I'll keep this one JJ Entry in mind when building it. I think the tissue dispenser and bottle holder (only with a warmer) are nice touches to be incorporated and well as the faux steering wheel for my son Memphis. However I'm like you Ryan, I'm not taking any chances and I'll mount latch system in the back for them. There's no reason to risk the potential for harm with your children or yourself. They need us just like we need them.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Interesting call out by one of my heroes...

So the article says this car is a '55 Chevy with '54 Ford rear quarters. Obviously, it's not... Rather, it's a '54 Ford with '55 headlight brows...

10. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

i don't have kids, and totally get that. it perfectly describes how i am with all of my young cousins. if an adult wants to put themselves in harms way, they can feel free (some exceptions, mentally handicapped adults and such), kids don't know better, therefore it is a responsible adults job to protect them. there is the difference, at its most primal level.
    an adult wants to play in traffic? ill take bets on how long he'll have the balls to do it
    a kid wants to? ain't gonna happen on my watch.

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Because they are.
    An Adult has the option and can make the judgement (most cases) for there own ventures.
    Children (should be) under there parents and/or guardians care and supervision.
    Not a poke at ya Chaz..just my humble opinion.(and a parent)

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

A child's life is alway more important then an adults in any situation. If some don't get that they never will. It's incredibly unsettling to see a child in pain or worse off and like you I'd give my life to save my son in any situation. So if I have enough time to mess with 4 carbs on a particular engine I sure as hell have enough time to secure a seat down for him and build the rest of the car with a mindful awareness that he'll be riding with me.

I'm not putting Disk brakes and air bags on the car but because I'm not I have to drive just that much more aware that others are out there with Cell Phones texting while they are driving. It's just a natural mode you get into when kids are in the car. Hyper-awareness mode.

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

kids are trusting of adults, it's our job to protect them any way we can. I remember my sister having a car seat with a steering wheel back in the early 60's

14. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Yes a childs life is important, but there were several generations that grew up in cars without this great big clumsey car seats and some goober just straining at the leash to write a ticket if the seat is incorrect and on and on, hell we had a panel that was made to hook over the front seats and rest on the back seat I grew up on that in a 56 Rocket 88, Mom had a lead foot,my brother grew up on it in the 64 Crown Imperial, we still have both, the seat plate and the Imp, but then again these were real cars not like the tin cans out here today.

15. squirrel

squirrel

One of my fondest childhood memories is the time I was hanging onto the open door of the 57 plymouth wagon after I opened it while we were driving, and my mom was going batshit.....I was about 3

I took my oldest son for a ride yesterday in my "new" 57 chevy one ton. No seat belts. Felt weird. Then I thought about the things he does, and the things his brothers do on wheeled devices....but they are all adults now.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I knew my comments would elicit the responses that followed. They always do. Is the life of a 17 year old murderer/rapist worth more than that of my 93 year old mom?
    to say that one life is worth more than another is dangerous territory.
    Fact of the matter is that there is an incredible randomness to the universe. Small beautiful children die of brain cancer. Some 100 year olds have contributed nothing their entire lives. We can steer the ship a few degrees, but don't ever think you are in control.
    It is simply random. I've learned to understand that. I have son and grandson I love beyond words. I hope they both live long productive lives, but I 'm not in charge. No one is.
    I'm aware this is not the outlook of most folks, but it is mine. I won't post again on this subject. It's not really what the thread is all about.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah man... I think maybe you are taking this beyond the scope of just "protecting kids."

There's a whole morality/social issue there that really isn't appropriate to discuss here and really has very little to do with taking care of kids.

It's all good.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'd rather not do this but that argument is kind dumb. The roads now are not what they were even 15 years ago. Everything is much faster paced and there are a ton more distractions. People are doing ten things at once and nobody seems to be just driving. Roads are faster and cars are capable of faster speeds. My Wife's Turbo Passat Wagon is probably always going to be faster then even my future Hemi Coupe. Now put a 16 year old behind that wheel and 80mph in 7 secs isn't out of the norm. Multiply that by all the kids driving and it because a dangerous scenario.

As for the tin cans you speak of why don't you take a look at this video from a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ptUrQOMPs

Point is if you're driving an old car why not take the extra few steps to secure a child to a seat that has been proven to work and is recommended by all officials and safety reviews. Just seems like smart parenting.

19. My parents had a child seat just like that one for me and my siblings.....steering wheel and all. We loved it.

We also used to stand in the middle of the front bench seat and when we'd come to a light, dad would put his arm out to hold us back.

To add some perspective....we were in a fairly decent front-end wreck in his nearly new 71 Chevy C10 one day (I was about 6 years old and my sister was in diapers). I ended up smacking the dashboard and she ended up in the floorboard with my mother who was holding her. My dad ate the steering wheel and the rest of us were bruised up.

So....yeah....wear seatbelts.

20. That is a hell of a nice car though. It's hard to mess up the front end looks of a 55 Chev.

The same holds true for many iconic styles though.....like the 32 Ford grill, the c-pillars on 35 - 41 Ford coupes, the fenders on late 40's Oldsmobiles, and the back deck and tailights on a 54 Ford.

There are many more of them, but I only have so much time......maybe I should start a thread.

21. goetzcr

goetzcr

Great looking ride. I always like the "I rode on the roof in an old peach crate and I turned out fine" stories. Yeah, I rode standing in the back seat, too. In fact, lots more people (including kids) DID die in car accidents than today. The kids of yesterday who rode in the back of pickups on the highway and stood in the back seat were just lucky that they weren't involved in an accident while doing so. This car is shows a lot of forward thinking on Barris' part.

I get the point about kids lives being worth more and that they don't have a choice. I'm a father of two little ones myself. It just got me to thinking, at what point did the value of my life diminish?:p Is it like a warranty expiration? Does it happen when you consume your first six-pack?:D Maybe its a combination of sex, drugs, and rock and roll that void the warranty:cool:.

22. sololobo

sololobo

Great read Ryan, love the fact that you can take your gang to school in a vintage car. The other kids have to be green with envy. Glad to hear that they have good seat belts and you have a safe ride to school and around the hood. Those small steps are so huge for taking care of your treasures. Wow, that ragtop of Sam's is sweet, thanx for a great J.J. feature. ~sololobo~

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I hate that you can never trust old magazines for Specs. In my searches for the "Satan: The Devil Deuce" I have found many inconsistencies from one mag to the next.

What ever the car is it's damn nice and I'm definitely love convert customs as of late. It weird, I love them but I am not sure I could own one. I hate the attention that a convert gives and then there is no where to hide your head without feeling like everyone is staring at your. I get uncomfortable in those situations like I'm a fish in a bowl. Hahaha!!! For a 29 or 32 roadster however I could get over my insecurities. :D

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We are all important. Some political administrations get over with the old "Save the Children!" adage, but they use it as an agenda.

I have 9 grown children, and watched them like a hawk. Safety was always #1, whether going out to the park, or a car show/drags/roundy races...and the trip there and back was always secured in whichever vehicle we took. (my kids number 6 sons and 3 daughters, from 3 Moms; their ages range from 22 to 49!)
    Every vehicle we ever used was 'safe', except for my roadster I had with my first two. They rode a few times, just short drives to get some air...Santa Clara wasn't traffic infested in 1963 as it had gotten by 1967...
    Some traffic accidents I witnessed made me an early believer in safety belts...too many occupants getting ejected on impact made me shudder to take the kids with me.

I'm relieved that they are all careful, defensive drivers.

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

I loved the drives with my dad.

He was a racer, and on the street he was fast and aggressive too.

Dont know if his car had seatbelts.

If it did, we never used them.

If things got hairy, he stuck out his right arm in front of me.

To keep me from bouncing off the dash, I guess...:D

26. Once I get seatbelts and finish the interior in the Mercury, both my boys will be allowed to ride. Until then we just go in my alley and dream of what will come. :)

27. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

That nails it. This is how parents feel - Dads would gladly give up their own life for their child, and dang near do it for any other child in danger. Moms are even more voracious in this intensity of feeling.

28. Ryan my man
    It is not a 54 it is in fact a 53 ford. 54s had a see through speedo section.
    Nice article.
    All my older rides have seat belts for the Grandkids.

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's funny. I still do that to my wife and kids. Even with seat belts. It's a natural reaction I guess.

30. mendoza727

mendoza727

I just scored some old belts and found this suggestion on the box to be amusing.

Attached Files: