Register now to get rid of these ads!

ICON Derelict

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ehrawn, Nov 3, 2011.

1. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I like it. Icon is an established company. They 'restore' Toyota FJ40s with new frames, aluminum bodies, late sbc or 4cyl diesels. Look 'em up....finest FJ40s on the planet....but...it's "gonna cost ya".

dj

3. Change the steering wheel and the pedals and I'd roll it in a heartbeat! Nobody has to know.

4. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. I'd drive it without hesitation.

6. El-Cid

El-Cid

I've got an all original survivor '52 wagon and if a meteor made of money fell in my yard I'd do this to it in a heartbeat. Of course, I'd also keep the original chassis/running gear in the garage too.

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I'm sure what to think of it!

I would drive the wheels offn' it!

Just think of the fun of pissin' off some late models!!!!!

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very cool. wonder how much that chassis costs??

I would have to turn to a life of crime to afford it.

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Interesting build.....
    Not 100% sure of how I feel about it, but it sure is cool..
    Cheers......

10. subdajj

subdajj

Yep its a 52 Chevy

But far from traditional

I've seen threads with EFI crate motors shut down

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Major sleeper, that one is.

12. rld14

rld14

I don't like the wheels/tires myself...

Personally I think that a more period-correct motor, done right, could have produced damn near as much power. I dunno, stuff like EFI on a crate motor takes the fun out of it.

13. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Did that Chevy (the stock original car) sell on Ebay about a year or so ago?

14. I really like the sleeper look, it would make a great long distance tourer.

15. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

It took me a while to figure out what was throwing me off. I initially dug it: modern suspension geometry, EFI crate motor, coilovers and all. Things like that don't bother me because they make a car more accessible, which means it's driven more, making it more fun to own. While I'm into traditional hot rods and customs, I'm not a strict historical traditionalist (i.e. pre-war car, with pre-war engine and NOS speed equipment, built using restored tools available during that period, using only knowledge passed down verbally from generation to generation). So what about this car fit that traditional aesthetic I like in a car if it wasn't the underpinnings? The only thing left was the "patina" that so many others on this forum rave about. But paired with everything else in this car, especially the interior made from "wild-caught alligator and buffalo hides(!) that have been dyed to the same Hermes hue as John F. Kennedy's briefcase," made it seem less authentic. As if rust, rather than sign that a guy is building a car, bit by bit, with whatever money he can scrape up, and thus has that "real" builder quality, has become what the hipsters want so they can pretend to be just like him. Even the name, "Derelict," screams "I want to look cheep so that I can be as cool as the guy who builds his own cars." Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of ICON, their attention to detail and their uncompromising quality. If I had the cash, I pick up one of their CJ's in a heartbeat. So, sure, as much as I want to criticize it, I'd still be a happy fake poser driving it.

16. Gator

Gator

Really doesn't have much to do with the Hamb but I absolutely fucking love it.

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

All it needs is a paint job. As for being non-HAMB, seems anything with full fenders goes, eh? Just leave the hood closed and skip the billet. I wouldn't toss it out of bed. Gary

18. VonKool13

VonKool13

That is nothing but a Street Rod hiding in a "Jalopy" suit. If they had a clue, they would do the paint and body work to match the street rod interior. Nothing traditional about it.

19. BISHOP

BISHOP

I bet its fun to drive.

20. Restomod is a gay-ass term invented by Brock Yates on the fly a few years ago at Barrett-Jackson when he had no idea what he was talking about. Am I the only person that has picked up on this?!?!?!

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the first time I heard the term restomod was when I was into a 65 Mustang. stock body and interior, with all the fancy go-fast underpinnings. did that car around 1998.

gay-ass ?? hardly.

22. what's to think about?

its a dead square hot rod from front to back.

traditional? not hardly.

chassis is about 15k... same as under the street rodder road tour car from a couple of years ago.

them front fog lamps are ghastly and the interior is the stuff of self induced gagging fantasies, but other than that its a total cream puff.

bitchin.

23. mickeyc

mickeyc

It is a nice car I agree, but remember the effort sema and California
    were touting last year about hotrodders having to buy a G.M. motor from sema to be legal. I think there may more to this vehicle than meets the eye. Then again I tend not to trust people who even suggest these mandates. Just a thought.

24. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

The interior, although very well done, doesn't fit that car. A nice stock or tasteful custom interior would be much better.
    The underside kicks ass!

25. Gator

Gator

Can't believe this is still open - ;) .

I thougnt it went back further than that Tman, IIRC it was used back in the 70's describing street rods 'restored' to look outwardly stock, but with 'modified' drivetrains.

But I could be wrong - it's happened before.

26. Restomod.... Pro Touring.....

I'd rather see it chopped, nosed, decked, and painted. Probably cost over $75K to build, why not finish it.

27. krome

krome

It was in the Optima Invitational, not sure how it placed over all. Looked like a fun little car. It looked out of place with all the finished high end cars but was good to see something different.

[​IMG]
    Optima Invitaional by Sunday Slacker Magazine, on Flickr

28. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

A friend who's into imports and whatnot sent me the link in an email saying its the only old car he'd own. I think it looks unfinished and that they need to put as much effort into the body as the did into the interior

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

bingo on the wheel and pedals...

yes, paint it please.....

30. Svendingo

Svendingo
    from New Mexico

I'm digging it. I do wonder about the "barn in Texas " part. You can plainly see the remains of a Kirtland AFB base sticker. KAFB is here in Albuquerque. Whatever.

Cool car. Tacky interior.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk