Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Edelbroke

Default 55 Chevy windshield install. Can I do this myself?

I have an appointment for friday for a glass guy to come out an install a windshield in my 55 Chevy. I'd like to do it myself tonight and cancel the app. I have my own glass and a new seal. I'm not going to put the stainless trim back on it just going to be the seal and glass.
Are there any special tools to do this? I'd really like to do it myself and save a few bucks. Any tips would be great! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Outside 009.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	1468528  
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: 55 Chevy windshield install. Can I do this myself?

It's not very easy to do it by yourself, especially if you've never done it before. I've only done it once, and I got help from a friend who'd installed a few.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
VoodooTwin
Old School HAMBer

You need 2 sets of hands.....one to hold/push the windshield tight against the seal from outside the car, while the other set of hands (inside the car) pulls the rope around to set the glass into the seal. I don't advise trying it alone. This shouldn't take the 2 of you more than 10-15 minutes, tops.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

On these I seem to recall that you put the seal on the glass, then set the assembly into the opening with the bottom of the seal on the pinchweld, then pull the rope to work the seal onto the pinchweld.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Chevy Gasser

Yes you can do it yourself but it will be much easier with the help of a friend or two. I think squirrel might be right about the seal on the glass first, and I think you pull the cord around from the inside of the car. Besides the rubber channel you will need a rubber sealant that goes between the body and the rubber seal, this is an important step. If you want a good water tight seal it would be best to help and observe the glass guy.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
BOWTIE BROWN
Alliance Member

I have a windshield for sale.
"AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"
(see if the glass man won't help ya)
Old 10-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
caseyscustoms
BANNED

If you've never done it before, then no. Hard enough with two people let alone one that's never done it.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Chevy Gasser

Like VooDoo said it wouldn't take 2 experinced guys long to seat a windshield but this is not a job to try to beat the clock. If you are changing the windshield on a finished car the job will take 4 hours. Unbolting the trim from the inside, removing the inner garnish molding and more. Also, for anyone who is replacing the stainless the upper trim goes in the channel before the windshield is installed. If you want a really nice car this should be polised before the windshield goes in also. A show quality finish on the stainless will take an hour or two.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Boeing Bomber

The rubber goes on the glass first, then the cord is pushed into the outer channel of the rubber, followed by a liberal amount of glass cleaner as a lubricant. The cord starts, and ends at the bottom, overlapping by several inches. Then the whole thing is set into the lower pinch weld with the extra cord on the inside, and pushed up against the window opening as close as possible. as you slowly pull the cord from the inside, the rubber will fold over the pinch weld. With the help of some one on the outside MILDLY pounding on the glass, open handed in the area you are pulling the cord from, the two of you will walk the rubber over the pinch weld. First a little on one side, then the other, until you meet at the top center. Some times you may need to work the cord in a circular motion (like 'Wax on") as you walk it along.
All that being said, it is FAR better to help a professional do this for your first experience, and learn from him. PLUS, after it's in you will still need to use a sealant to keep out the water leaks. If you try it with a buddy, and it leaks, it's all on you. If you pay to have it done, and it leaks, you can take it back to him and he'll have to fix it.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
slammed
Old School HAMBer

Once it gets started, you may lube (WD-40) it, to help it slide in.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Blackmaria60

Yeah, and that black good gets everywhere. I put my rear window in a '62 Olds and yuk
Old 10-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
Special Ed
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Bomber View Post
The rubber goes on the glass first, then the cord is pushed into the outer channel of the rubber, followed by a liberal amount of glass cleaner as a lubricant. The cord starts, and ends at the bottom, overlapping by several inches. Then the whole thing is set into the lower pinch weld with the extra cord on the inside, and pushed up against the window opening as close as possible. as you slowly pull the cord from the inside, the rubber will fold over the pinch weld. With the help of some one on the outside MILDLY pounding on the glass, open handed in the area you are pulling the cord from, the two of you will walk the rubber over the pinch weld. First a little on one side, then the other, until you meet at the top center. Some times you may need to work the cord in a circular motion (like 'Wax on") as you walk it along.
All that being said, it is FAR better to help a professional do this for your first experience, and learn from him. PLUS, after it's in you will still need to use a sealant to keep out the water leaks. If you try it with a buddy, and it leaks, it's all on you. If you pay to have it done, and it leaks, you can take it back to him and he'll have to fix it.
Perfect description. That open-handed "pounding" on the glass is more than a little tricky. If you've never seen a guy who has done it, it can end poorly for you.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
low budget

I put a back glass in a 55 by myself, I also bought and took a windshield out of a 55 without breaking it by myself ........... I then gently laid it on a peice of foam in the back of my truck,I then saw a crack line ease gently across the middle of it I then gently picked it back up and took it back to the car I took it out of and threw it back in it
(50 bucks shot)

I hate to say it but it might be cheaper to pay the guy to do it than to buy 2 windshields, winding up paying him to do it anyway.

Since you are paying him,will he be responsible if he breaks it?
Old 10-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
_ogre
Grenade Inspector

do like squirrel and bomber say. 2 of us put the front and rear glass in my truck. it's easy enough to do. a 3rd hand helps to push on both sides from the outside. use glass cleaner as lube not wd40.

the glass shop guys don't know how to put them in right. we had to re-paint a 63 vette from the glass shop guy messing everything up.

you are the best man for the job.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
bryan6902

I always liked the fact that if the glass cracked, the installer/company buys you a new one. I think Danchuk has a how-to article on their web site. And you can get the trim in afterwards it just takes a lot of silicone spray and open palm hits.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
VoodooTwin
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
On these I seem to recall that you put the seal on the glass, then set the assembly into the opening with the bottom of the seal on the pinchweld, then pull the rope to work the seal onto the pinchweld.
Yeah, you're right. I misremembered. Gettin old sucks.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
Edelbroke

Thanks for all the replys. I'll learn on friday with the pro.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #18
tooljunkie
Grenade Inspector

done lots,broke one.My co-worker was in a hurry.i have roped in quite a few,the open hand is like a gentle slap.centre outwards and patience.outside on a warm sunny day doesent hurt,just more glass cleaner for lube-you dont want to use anything else as it can be difficult to clean off later.a bead of butyl sealant under the molding and you are done.butyl will ooze out in very hot climates.check with your local glass supplier.
as mentioned earlier,learing from a professional may be in your best interest.
it will be money well spent,you wont have to spend it again.thats how i learned a few procedures in my past.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
60galaxieJJ

Just out of curiousoity about how much do they charge to come out and do that? I ask because I'm in the same boat and wanna know what I'm getting into
Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #20
40Standard
Old School HAMBer

soapy water, a plastic putty knife, twine and the old lady to help. it's not that hard on a 55 chevy. try looking on youtube for a video