Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default The Jalopyrama - Part II

A few months ago, I got an email from Jay Fitzhugh about the Jalopyrama. Representing the show, he offered to fly me to Maryland and put me up in a hotel room so that I could attend the show. I declined. I had always wanted to go to the show, but not...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.

Last edited by Ryan; 10-26-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
mctim64
Alliance Member

Default Re: The Jalopyrama - Part II

I liked it. Kinda disappointed it's not all true. "Fear and Loathing in Maryland" You'll be OK.

"it looks just like a Tellafunkin U-47"

http://yblockguy.com/
Old 10-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Bigcheese327
Alliance Member

Sorry to hear some folks didn't recognize the hyperbole of gonzo journalism. I enjoyed it - although not as much as the Kentucky Derby-tribute piece you'd done earlier. Serious coverage of the event was certainly easy enough to find if one looked.

More to the point, as the father of two small kids myself, I totally understand not wanting to be up at the crack of dawn for a car show. Most shows seem to be geared toward retired fellows who are already used to meeting their buddies for coffee at 6am every day, and there are a lot of us who don't operate that way yet.

-Dave
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
oj
Alliance Member

Wow, Ryan, you don't do a half-assed apology do you. I guess the real Ryan has stood up, how about offering to return next year as an active part of the event - it is a charity event, right?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
D-Russ

Ryan,

Because I was there, I have the advantage of knowing the level of artistic license you exercised in your first story. I thought the article was quite entertaining and a nice recount of what I remember as a really good time, told in a way that just makes for a better read. And you took my razzing like a champ. After spending time with you and Blake both Friday and Saturday, I was left with the impression that you guys are the real deal. Solid.

This second journal entry proves that my first impression was right. Maybe even more so.

P.S. Although I'm not a Rusty Nut and I have no official ties to Mike and the Jalopyrama, I love the show. It's hands down, my favorite. The mood, the lighting and the quiet of the indoor show moves and inspires me.

Click here to check out my Vicky build

Dave
Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
flamedcoupe
Grenade Inspector

Ryan, you're at the top of my list. It would be my honor to meet you someday. Come back next year,dinner is on me. We'll sit in a nice restaurant,look out on the bay and enjoy friendship and a good meal.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
FeatherWeight
FNG

I'm not sure the circumstances call for an apology Ryan. I don't read show car coverage, but I always read yours because it is so well written. It makes you think. And I loved your writeup on the Jalopyrama. It made me want to go North with you next year.

You are one of the best persons I know. Seriously.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Plowboy
Alliance Member

I was hoping it was the truth. If it were my gang it would have been. ha ha

I am more disappointed that you didn't come to the last pileup.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
3wLarry
Old School HAMBer

So...what are you doing Nov. 12th? I hear there's gonna be a swell get together at Hot Rod Garage in Okiehoma.

Up for another trip?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Big A
Alliance Member

I read your coverage and thought I might add that show to my list of one-of-these-days events to attend.

I read your apology, and feel less inclined.

My shoebox build... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626123
Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
ynottayblock

I rather enjoyed the piece you wrote, much more entertaining then the typical show write up. I read it as pure entetainment and to me didn't harm the coverage of the show, it actually made me search the hamb for more coverage of the show. Don't let this deter you from writing more creative pieces in the future, it's what makes the JJ better than the typical magazine editiors write up.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
Slim Pickens
Old School HAMBer

Ryan is cool. I can’t wait to get down to Texas and experience it.
Slim
Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
Surfrider
Grenade Inspector

I'm sorry I jokingly busted on you about your picture or lack of.

I understand your wanting to fly under the radar.

It was my first Jalopyrama and I really liked the 60's car show feel...just wish it was sunnier, it was darn dark inside when the sun went away in the afternoon.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
Dreddybear
Old School HAMBer

This isn't meant to be pointed at anyone, just a general view on things...It's clear that whoever puts on that show has gotta be cool, but I don't think it's fair to hold any sort of expectation from you. Inviting you to a show for fun and asking you to be a "special guest" are two different things. Is the invite to "Ryan from the Hamb" or just "Ryan"? Dude, you gotta be able to just go to a car show from time to time. So now you're in this akward position and feel like you have to make up for it in some way. And it seems to be not necessarily because they're asking you to or anything, but because you are a genuinely nice guy. I just hope people don't feel like you owe them anything (A good write up, photo ops, whatever..) just because you were invited or because of who you are. I thought you previous post on the show sold it pretty well and definitely piqued my interest, if anything because pics are worth a thousand words and you know people are gonna jump on with the goods..
Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
theHIGHLANDER
Old School HAMBer

The problem with the internet and forums is that you can't see that twisted eye or shit-eatin grin when someone's been pounding away on a keyboard. You're right, some could take it as the real deal because much of TJJ is just that, real. I think it's stand up move though. I guess I can see it too.

Still, it reminded me of such a night at an auction. I wasn't too proud of what happened, but in the end it was all OK and we got more for the 6 cars than we'd prepared for. I needed one of the cars for my back and forth transport and the only one that was currently registered was a 348 Ferarri coupe...a nice bright yellow one too. I had consumed 2 extra vodka martinis but thought nothing of it. You see, drinks used to be free at high end auctions. I don't drink either, but when I do, I drink...uh, never mind.

Anyways I left with this thing and about 2 miles away it hit me. "Shit I'm kinda lit..." so I just relaxed and got used to it. It was a Friday night and knew where all the street racing was happening. Bad idea. Bright yellow Ferarri screamin "Come and get me!" and I'm lit. No matter. I pulled in and started pokin at a few 5.0 Mustangs for a race. No takers was a blessing but one of my regular fellow hoods was there and he jumped in. "What fuck Jocko! Are you drunk?!?" "A little. You wanna drive?" "Pull over...how fast can I go?" "I wanna wake up tomorrow at home. What's that tell ya?" "That you're party pooper." We headed towards my place and I was getting back to normal. We got there and I told him go to the shop 1st. A splash of cold water and cup of coffee were in order and then we took off again. I was driving. "I wanna go 150 in this thing. Will it do that?" "Sheeeit bitch...". I hit I-94 west and found an opening and watched the needle. 130, 140, she's slowing a bit, 150, then a little more to seal the deal. We exited and came back on surface roads at a normal and enjoyable pace, exchanged g'byes and off to bed. The next morning I was headed back north to the sale. Cruising along I notoced the speedometer was in "20s". See, trying to touch 150+ I didn't spend much time staring at the dream needle, and it went from 140 to a dash and then 160. I had actually topped 160 according to the speedometer. I was very lucky that night. Nobody got hurt, I didn't go to jail, the car made it back in the same lovely condition it left in, on time, and I was only met wth a 1/2 dozen raised eyebrows here and there.

You never know when it's going to happen. I remember a few Meadowbrooks where I'd have rather been at home instead of rubbing Final Inspection on a fender at 7am due to the previous night's banquet and open bar. Entertainment? Vacation? Hey man, every night if we want it. None of these cars are needed in anyone's lives. Being in the garage or at a show, it's all a vacation and subject to whatever happens at any given time. Beats the shit out of "honey-dos" and work. Again, nice move there Ryan. Yer a'ight...
Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #16
FritzTownFord

So there is not really a Middleton Pub? I thought I found an ancestral archive for my family. As a HST fan I thought it was great tribute.

Of course this younger generation didn't have the pleasure of reading those wild tales 'tween the covers of the Rolling Stone. Maybe we need a HAMB book club list to enlighten the mob.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Wow, this is tough to read. I will admit that I personally was a little disappointed with you, Ryan, thought you kinda dissed us "Northerners" just a bit by showing up as late as you did. I certainly can't speak for Mike or any of his crew. That's entirely up to them. That said, this blog points out to me what a real human being and straight shooter you are and I'm willing to forgive and move on. It took a big guy with a lot of decency and humility to man up and write the words you just wrote. I for one hope you come back this way again for the Jalopyrama or for the Jalopy Showdown in the Spring or for whatever. It's behind us now, let's all try to be upbeat and positive going forward........Don.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
Bigcheese327
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzTownFord View Post
Of course this younger generation didn't have the pleasure of reading those wild tales 'tween the covers of the Rolling Stone. Maybe we need a HAMB book club list to enlighten the mob.
HAMB Book Club.

-Dave
Old 10-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #19
Zombie Hot Rod

I'll toss my opinion out there, the first write up on the show was amazing. Hunter S. Thompson is one of the few literary geniuses to come out of the last half of century, and any nod his style of "Gonzo Journalism" should be taken as a compliment.

If I've never been to the Jalopyrama, the original write up alone would have been enough to make me hop in my car and drive out. It filled the show with a sense of adventure and excitement that's seems to be lacking in modern society.

With the internet everyone has upfront access to everything, there's no more mystery, discovery, or excitement anymore. The show coverage provided a sense of "anything can happen, and you'd be a fool if you missed it".

Maybe I looked it differently being a fan of Hunter S. and his writing, who knows. . . but I thought the original story was a pat on the back, not a slap in the face.

P.S. the guy's from a different time zone, of course he's gonna show up late. That's like all of the times we go out west and we're up at 5am wondering where everyone else is.

www.AtomicHotRods.com <----- "Psssst, Hot Rod Documentaries and T-Shirts over here."
Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #20
K13
Old School HAMBer

Seems like a weird thing to apologize for showing up at a car show when you wanted. Unless you agreed to be there at a certain time as a "special guest", which you clearly turned down, it is no ones business but your own when you decide to show up. And for guys to forgive you for showing up late. Sometimes I think you are too nice.
Closed Thread