Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
66L-79
Grenade Inspector

Default 1934 Chevy Coupe Mustang II ?

I have bought a 1934 Chevy 5 window coupe I plan on installing a Mustang II front Sup. any suggestions on instalation. Which way is the most economical way too. ? buy just a heidts cross member or a complete set up. ? I have a original complete setup that has been cut out of a Mustang II car, I would have to buy rotors and calipers this way. I know someone here has done both ways tell me which you suggest. Also drop spindals or not I would like for the car have rake and low too. Thanks
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
skull

Question Re: 1934 Chevy Coupe Mustang II ?

pics??

Later

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s....php?p=7118789
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
davidbistolas
Alliance Member

Default Re: 1934 Chevy Coupe Mustang II ?

Lots has changed with "Mustang II" since the Mustang II was in dealerships. I'd recommend a heidts full tubular, if funds allow.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

Full fendered I hope. The tube A arms would be a lot cleaner looking under that car than the stock MII control arms. Then you have to figure out how to rework the fenders to clear the upper A arms.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
walter
Grenade Inspector

I installed a Mustang front back in the early 80's when there was not much after market to buy. It all worked well and I put a lot of miles on with out a problem and the car is still being driven today by the new owner. With that being said I would definantly buy a kit and eliminate the lower control arm stuts as well as the shorter top control arms. The drop spindals are also a plus for lowering the front end.
Walter
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Ghost28
Old School HAMBer

congrats on the chevy. This is a 34 chevy 3 window standard frame. Tubular front control arms. heights crossmember. I would not go with the stock crossmember and parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0874.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	1467756   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0875.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	1467757  

Last edited by Ghost28; 10-25-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
29moonshine

jpi streetrods will sell you a fatman crossmember made for your car and heidt tubular control arms in a kit hubto hub for 1900 fits real good had no problems with installing it
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Kustchops

You can also try 34 ford type if you are not stuck with independent, I built this one years ago and sold it, of course the owner made it prettier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1013870.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	1467802  
Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
I installed a Mustang front back in the early 80's when there was not much after market to buy. It all worked well and I put a lot of miles on with out a problem and the car is still being driven today by the new owner. With that being said I would definantly buy a kit and eliminate the lower control arm stuts as well as the shorter top control arms. The drop spindals are also a plus for lowering the front end.
Walter

If you absolutely MUST use struless lower arms, Just make sure to make a piece that puts the rear pivot in double shear. A simple bracket from the frame rail to the back of the bushing is all you need. The problem with most of the strutless conversion stuff on the market is that it doesn't account for lateral forces applied to the lower pivot under braking loads, therefore, the pivot tears out of the crossmember. Hanging out at Elpolacko's shop for the last two decades, I have repaired and witnessed repairs to lots and lots of failed crossmembers for this reason. I personally don't do strutless arms if there is any way of doing strutted arms. I certainly would NEVER let a customers car that was to be driven go out the door without a double shear bracket on a strutless arm.

A major favor you can do for your self is look up elpolacko's past posts and find his definitive Mustang II post and commit it to memory.Lots and lots of good info on that thread stricty for the Mustang II.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #10
66L-79
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull View Post
pics??

Later
It is going to be a week and half before the car gets here I will post pics then.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
fordcragar
Alliance Member

If you are good at fabricating, you might use the OEM cross member otherwise consider an after market cross member. I installed a couple of stock MustangII cross members in our cars back in the 1980's as well, and they are still in use today.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
Gambino_Kustoms
Alliance Vendor

i can do a complete fat man hub to hub polished stainless control arms drop spindles for 1895.00 and even less for aliance guys
still dont know why ya'd put a MII under a hot rod?
& TAIL DRAGERS KITS FOR ALL
40'S & 50'S CARS call: 408-561-5744
made a million dollars off my first record deal
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #13
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcragar View Post
If you are good at fabricating, you might use the OEM cross member otherwise consider an after market cross member. I installed a couple of stock MustangII cross members in our cars back in the 1980's as well, and they are still in use today.
That would be the method I would recomend. Some one else up the line mentioned that "things have changed since it was just pinto and mustang II stuff". Well, yes and no. What has changed is that many of the manufactures of crossmembers have unwittingly changed the geometery of the basic Ford unit... And not always for the better. Allot of the current market crossmembers have had the spring posistion changed to better package the unit by standing the springs up. A small change, but effects spring rate quite a bit. Changing the distance between upper and lower control arm pivots to better fit a particular frame wouldn't seem like a big deal, until you calculate the roll center... One major manufacturer doesn't build any anti - dive into it's kits. If you don't know what it is, you don't miss it on the install, but you know something isn't right when you hit the brakes.

I know in most parts of the country you guys no longer have the possibility of just boppin' on down to the local wrecking yard to buy a complete Ford unit like I do here in Phoenix... Hell, I still see Pintos on the road here frequently! But if you can do a bit of searching to find a complete unit and install it from the stock crossmember out, it'll be more work, but better. If you need to go with a kit, I once again suggest Elpollacko's write up on Mustang II front suspension here on the H.A.M.B. Read it, and then look into what the various manufacturers are offering with a bit of education as to what you are looking for.

One more quick thing to say. It seems to be a bit of a misnomer that for some reason original Ford Pinto Mustang II is not quite heavy enough or weaker than aftermarket stuff. B.S.! In a stock setup, the front ball joints are one size larger than the mid sized G.M. stuff commonly used in clipped cars. The stampings are of better quality than the asian made new stuff, and there isn't a parts store locally here that I can't get ball joints, bearings and bushings at. I really don't like to see these front ends widened and put under say mid fifties pickups, but for most of us with the thirties and forties cars, track width wise and construction wise, they're just about perfect.

I know you didn't ask for this rant, but these are the opinions of someone who has worked with this stuff for the last twenty five years or so, including helping in the design of a line of crossmembers. My personal '48 Plymouth avatar has had more than 200,000 miles of adventures with a stock Ford crossmember, and dare I say, is driven way harder than most.