Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
35desoto

Default 1950's Dodge Hemi/Poly engine

Does any one know if the camshaft from a 1950's Dodge Hemi will run in a Dodge poly engine -and visaversa
I'm talking about the 315/325 polypherical engines and whether a Dodge 315/325 hemi camshaft will run in the swap over.
I know the cam bearings are the same and the camshafts physically fit however do the camshafts still allow the engines to run OK regardless of the heads? I.E does the hemi camshaft need to know its in a poly engine (or visaversa)
Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
snaptwo

Default Re: 1950's Dodge Hemi/Poly engine

The 315/325 Dodge hemi/poly are tall deck blocks so I would say it would work. The 241 259 and 270 are low deck. Same deal for 301W 331 354 low deck, 392 tall. As long as you keep the same deck height it should work, I don't know about the perfomance though.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
Rusty O'Toole
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: 1950's Dodge Hemi/Poly engine

The cam should be the same or at least interchangeable. The only thing they changed was the heads.

On the raised deck vs low deck. When they raised the deck on the Chrysler hemi in 57 they changed the angle of the lifters to give the pushrods a straight shot at the rockers. This meant the cams had to be at a slightly different angle on the camshaft. From memory I think it was 108 degrees of lobe separation vs 116 but don't quote me. They may have done the same on the DeSoto, when they made the raised block.
offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)