Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Coupe Mild Custom Build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwiandy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Hello.

Well as if there isnt enough of these shoebox build threads... here's one more! The main difference being that most guys seem to progress pretty fast and I probably won't.
    Quick history. Had the car for nearly 6 years. I shipped to NZ from NC. Was an ebay find and was slightly misrepresented. Plans for a quick shot of paint and just drive it as is, quickly turned to some pretty major body work. I hadnt budgeted for that so I started saving and buying up the required patch panels. Lots of overtime and two babies later, I now have most of what I need and are expecting my floors in late November. I have also had to remove alot of the metal that the previous owner had welded in. In the process he had replaced (sort of) the rockers and misaligned the body.
    Anyway... enough BS lets get to the pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
    wescottsd and edcodesign like this.
  2. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

When it arrived in NZ it did sort of run but not very well. It had a 302/C4.
    I pulled the engine and stripped it down to find broken rings and years of neglect. The C4 had sand in the sump pan??? As for the body I set about cutting and grinding out the previous repairs. Unfortunately the trans tunnel had been replaced with a home made setup so I had to do alot of work to save what I could. I have left the drivers side intact untill I sort the passenger side rockers. I did not brace the body as it was already out of shape so I didnt see any point. As the new rockers go in I will pull it back to align the door gaps. For now im going to screw everything in to get it right then I will go through and complete the welding.

Attached Files:

• c5.JPG
      c5.JPG
      File size:
      314.6 KB
      Views:
    • c6.JPG
      c6.JPG
      File size:
      320.4 KB
      Views:
    • c3.JPG
      c3.JPG
      File size:
      313.3 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      311.5 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      310.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      326.7 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      324.3 KB
      Views:
  3. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

The lower door post is also up for some attention.

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      314.8 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      330.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      326.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cool man...there can never be to many shoebox builds.

kiwiandy likes this.

5. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I agree the more the better. Welcome to the club. Nothing like a shoebox to customize

6. Can't get enough of shoeboxes since i'm piecing one together to. Gonna keep an eye on this.

7. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Looks like a good start

8. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Cheers fella's! Im going for a mild custom look. Early 60's. It will be a bit spoilt by the 302/C4 but thats what it came with and thats what fits the budget. Would love to do a flat head or Y block but no $$$$. Ive stripped the engine and had it dipped and machined. The crank is damaged so im now hunting a new crank. I have new pistons, bearings etc so as soon as I find a crank a can complete the engine. I did a trade with another guy for a car and he rebuilt the trans. Ive used a Jamco engine mount kit. The car came with 14 inch wheels but I found a set of 15 inch 1955 Victoria wheels and then picked up a couple more off a simular era Plymouth. Ive purchased a set of floors from Paul Bradley which are due later this year. While im waiting I will get everything ready and rebuild the door hinges etc.
    Andy.

9. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

This is a familiar story ! i would like to hear of someone who this hasnt happened too ! :) subscribed and looking forward to your progress :):)

10. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

I'm liking this project. Good choice.
    Looks like your work is "cut out" for you. *Slaps knee and wipes tear from eye* Good deal though, it's sweet.

11. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

As I see it, I got kinda screwed but at least this way im gonna know exactly what I have as I will be going over every inch of the car. Ive seen alot of nice shiney cars come into the country and you never know what is under that nice paint???

12. farmer12

farmer12

This is one nice project, with a bit of work ahead of you. Did you "settle" the misrepresentation with the PO? Good luck with the build!

13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks like you have really planned what to do with your project.I had some floor issues too with my project.But instead of buying the floor pans,i fabricated them by myself.
    I guess shoeboxes will rotten pretty much from the same places,floors,rockers,lower cowl corners,floor bracing..
    Good luck with your project and keep us posted!

14. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Thanks for checking it out.
    Farmer 12. No at the time it kind of knocked me over and I didnt realise that I had any come back on the purchase. For what its worth I also like to think that maybe, even a little bit the guy actually thought it was a good body.

Finnrodder. Ive been following your build and you are doing a great job. I dont have any sheet metal equipment (I actually dont even have a welder at the moment!) and we also have quite tight laws around modified vehicles. The Paul Bradley floors dont come quick but they are a factory duplicate item as are the inner rockers. At $300 they are also resonably priced. Now I just need to get them in my shed!!!

Andy.

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!
    We have pretty tight laws in here too,but luckily they are a bit easier that they just to be few yrs ago.Few yrs back i didnt have much tools either,but i've always bought something when i've needed them.I guess the beadroller was only item that i bought before i needed it.So it was just collecting dust in the garage for few yrs before i started my floor project...
    I am waiting for an update,hope you'll get your floor pans soon.

16. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Thanks. Is the shoebox in your avitar the same car ive seen on SBF.com?
    Andy.

17. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

There are many who think their cars are better than they are.
    Being countries or even states apart makes it difficult at best to determine the actual condition of any car.
    Good luck on yur build, you are going to wind up with a car that you KNOW is good.
    Never too many of any kind of build.
    folks reading through these builds will learn a new trick associated with each build.

18. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

By the asy, My brother-in-law called me one evening wanting me to go look at a car he was interested in.
    He is in Wichita, Ks. and the car was in Arkansas just about an hours drive from me.

I looked at the car and called him and suggested he look at it before he bought it.
    he made the deal over the phone without taking my advice.

Here is the car he bought and it now,after several years and many dollars is just about drivable. It does now start and move around his place.

After looking at his, you just might feel better about yours.:)

Attached Files:

19. ricktard

ricktard
    from spokane

cool project dude

20. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

When I picked my car up from the freight co in Auckland there was a convertable thunderbird sitting beside my coupe. I wish I had taken pics as one side looked really good and the other side had huge rust holes! I hope the purchaser saw pics of both sides:eek:

Andy.

21. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Well its a long weekend here in NZ so ive been working on the coupe when I can.
    I spent Saturday afternoon doing battle with the door hinges. They look to have never been off before so it took the best part of three hours. I used an impact driver along with a steel drift, spray penetrating lubricant and a heat gun. I started by giving them a soak with the lube (CRC,WD40 etc). Then using the drift I tapped around the head of the counter sunk bolts. This serves to break any corrosive link between the bolt head and the hinge and also in the thread. I then used the heat gun and applied heat to each bolt head. Now using the impact driver I worked the bolts free. Trick with the impact driver is to make sure you allow it to return to full stroke after each blow and make sure it is bottoming out with each blow. Once the hinges were off I ground down the hinge pin at both ends. I then drilled a hole through the centre to releive load. Now using a punch, while holding the hinge in the vice I drove the pins out. Note. The pins are splined one end and will only come out one way. Spline first. It was interesting to note that there is a reasonable amount of wear on the pin. Im now on the hunt to find new pins. I can't see them in the Dennis C cataloge? Does anybody know if they are available? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• m.JPG
      m.JPG
      File size:
      335.9 KB
      Views:
    • j.JPG
      j.JPG
      File size:
      336.5 KB
      Views:
    • k.JPG
      k.JPG
      File size:
      336.6 KB
      Views:
    • l.JPG
      l.JPG
      File size:
      342.6 KB
      Views:
  22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

23. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Thanks. Yeah that worked out well. If the original pins are available however, I have measured mine and the wear is on the pin (~ 0.003 inch) so new pins should do it. If not I will do as shown. Cheers.

24. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Nice! Have fun with it! Shoeboxes rock man.

25. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Its been a day of measuring the body. using the factory measurements from the green bible I have found that everything appears to be within 1/16 of where it should be. This is excellent news given that there is no bracing fitted. Ive been getting the floor braces ready to fit and found that the original braces have a right angled bracket welded under where the rubber body mount sits. Can anybody tell me what this is for? Thanks.

I was also fortunate enough to have a couple of mates visit today. This was made even better by the fact that Barry was driving his 32 Five Window that has only just been finished after 40 years! Congrats Barry, its an awesome rod and it is great to see it on the road!!!:cool: (haha, now you will need to post more pics :D)

Attached Files:

• 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      236.8 KB
      Views:
    • barry.JPG
      barry.JPG
      File size:
      329 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      366.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  26. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

It is always nice with a good shoebox build

good luck with yours

/Stefan

27. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome project kiwiandy, at least you got on with it when you found the imperfections and didnt throw your toys out. Been there and done what you are doing and its difficult repairing floors with the body on the frame. We took our 54 Victoria off the frame and rolled it over on a home made rotiserie to replace the floor braces and rusty sills. We just fabricated our own braces etc. The rt. angle may just be a locator for the mount.
    We have a 49 coupe if you need any pictures of the structure.

Ragmanray likes this.
  28. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Thanks, I appreciate that and will more than likely require some pics at some stage. If you ever find yourself in Auckland, let me know if you want to drop by for look. Im in Torbay. Yeah, that angle does seem to be for location. Probably to assist on the production line. Cheers.
    Andy.

29. fordman1

fordman1

Out of curiousity how will you figure out you have the body in the right position with the floors missing? I have a '50 in the shape and have been trying to figure it out!

30. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Good question. The first thing I did was to check the body was securely mounted to the chassis both forward of the firewall and rear of the "B" pillar/door post. Ive then taken plenty of measurements and split the difference. For the record and of interest was that the measurement taken diagonally from the lower A pillar drivers side to the lower passenger door post came out almost exactly as stated in the factory measurements. All these measurements are in the green bible. Priority is to get good door gaps so once I sort my hinges I will reatach the door then clamp/screw the rockers/floors in place and recheck before final welding.
    Andy.