Register now to get rid of these ads!

There is hope for the future...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Well how cool is that. I am afraid that my kid doesn't think anything about rods other than maybe getting one of mine someday. I guess I dropped the ball.

I do agree though, it is electric, but I am thinking that that is a comming trend and racing them is what will be required to make that happen. 155 and change that is like the beginning of Land Speed Racing, it is like going back to the old days of dry lakes and running flatties.

3. sinticket

sinticket

Very cool. I have seen that car run...very impressive to say the least. Congrats on them finally getting the record after so long.

4. grapp

grapp

Yeah my son could care less, although he has driven my car a few times... For electric race cars, check out youtubes vid of "the white zombie" a 1972 datsun that beats everything it races.....

5. Bash all you want on Wyotech...and i can't speak for the entire school, but here in Blairsville Chassis Fab we are walking the walk. Just last class I had a group of students working on an asphalt supermodified (including one student who built an entirely new chrome-moly roll cage for the car). Our guys are WAY into it. We preach the simple old-fashioned fab techniques and let students be creative with projects (see the Beemerod in my photo albums).

No, it's not all about traditional hot rodding, but neither was the topic of this thread...

6. jipp

jipp

yeah me and my dad had this conversations.. kids these days just not into the old iron.. ( im generalize here i know but he had a point to a degree i think.. ) it all started by driving by this nice old car that is a more door mopar.. very clean, but the guy must be asking a lot of money for it as he trys to sell it every weekend while he is at chruch i guess and its been up for sale for at least 10 years that i know of.. we got to talking about how that car is not the most ideal car people want and its gonna take some old fart like him who has a reason for that model.. maybe his cool uncle own one so he must have it.. then he goes onto say kids are hotroding new imports... as he puts it there dad helps the buy it.. kid has no family so drops every penny he has into the engine.. what this got to is the value of the hotrods now may decline some in the future... it will be interesting to see what happens.

on the electric front they do have some advantages.. with having no transmission etc.. direct drive.. instant go.

7. I took my son to Famoso about a month ago where he got a taste of what I grew up with living in the San Joaquin Valley during the heyday. He loved it, and I got to drive my car down the same track where I watched my boyhood heroes run... man was that fun!

My son shot this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=txAKYB_nY-E

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Pretty cool feat, getting an electric car that fast.
    I believe the real answer to our fuel problems lie in small, clean, turbocharged diesels. Folks don't realize that batteries are made of materials mined from remote areas in unfriendly countries.

9. goetzcr

goetzcr

Electric drag racing is pretty interesting from an aural standpoint. While I love the sound of the fuelers, it's pretty cool to be able to here a drag car's tire noise. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it's less dramatic than I thought it would be. Check out this 7 second run...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_ukLgsGEzs

10. Jive-Bomber Jay -

Although a bit O/T for the HAMB, thanks for sharing this news & the video with us.

I think it is all very cool ... especially for Professor Carter (who has been teaching and leading student projects at BYU for 31 years) ... it's an example of what happens when students are focused on things other than learning to be rebellious! :rolleyes: :)

11. jipp

jipp

i did not know what to expect when i clicked on this.. but that is one damn fast electric scooter. heh..

if electric becomes the future ( like mention above batteries are evil.... ) for sake of argument if it dose become the standard.. i sure hope they create a sensor that hooks up to the go pedal that allows you to hear a pre recording of engine of your choice..

my mom has a hybrid iv drove and its just weird with no engine sounds to let you know you are giving it juice..

i will say up to 40mph ( after that the engine kicks in.. the car starts to slow down while the engine catches up) in town the damn thing is quick off the line but after that its a gutless new piece of shit.. but mom loves it and has her self brain washed into thinking she is helping the environment..
    love ya mom.
    chris.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  12. goetzcr

goetzcr

You could make it sound like anything, really. Like really mean sounding, hemi-powered Jetson-mobile. Somehow I think NHRA would end up just blasting sponsor jingles during staging.

13. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

That thing is bad ass - Mayor

14. jipp

jipp

White Zombie vs maserati

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGQSQAz9v6c

hah white zombie is cool.. he smokes a mazarti who thinks he is bad in the video.. smoked is not a word for what this machine dose.. it cremated this car.
    chris.

15. derbydad276

derbydad276

tought my daughter to use a torque wrench, dial indicator,along having a blast using this

Attached Files:

16. They had some hotrodder help. Jim Burkdoll is involved and drove, he has a little LSR history ;)

http://www.byustreamliner.com/tiki-view_blog.php?blogId=1

17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm a college student (University of Missouri-Columbia Journalism School) and it's difficult to find a single soul with any interest in hot rods/customs here on campus. I'm by no means from a hot rodding background, but I want to nothing more than keep the spirit alive by writing about what I love most: Traditional hot rods and customs.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  18. funnycar

funnycar

About electric power and batteries, please read "Phisics for Future Presidents. The Science Behind the Headlines" by Richard A. Muller (2008 W.W. Norton & Company).
    Thanks for sharing, in any case!

19. The liner actually went 180 last year, but crashed and could not back up that speed.

20. Ramblur

Ramblur

Had a blast doing the jr.dragster deal with our younger son and milking 50
    horse from the 5 hp Briggs & Stratton flathead architecture. Our oldest boys son turns one next month so we have 7 years yet before we can strap him in.
    Meanwhile I've been playing with electric toy cars for 25 years now so we'll hopefully get the grandson primed on those. Electric RC cars are well on their way to 200 mph now and parts are available at local hobby shops. Check out about the 4:40 mark on the vid...

http://www.teamassociated.com/multimedia/videos/just_for_fun/191-The_Road_to_200_Update/

21. Pretty Cool, but I'm surprised the record isn't much higher. The KillaCyle has gone 174 and change without the aid of aerodynamics

22. grapp

grapp

Yeah that white zombie does 10 seconds in the 1/4....

23. SpeedwayRyan

SpeedwayRyan

A land speed record car built at BYU and they didn't call it the Mormon Meteor?

24. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Congrats to the BYU team!

25. jroberts

jroberts

The BYU projectg is fantastic. Ohio State students also have put together a streamliner that has run on the Salt.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/08/2...ty-claims-another-electric-speed-record-with/

With the East Coast Timing Association moving to Ohio next year there is hope that the OSU program can tie into the ECTA events. This past ECTA event at Maxton, North Carolina saw an electric motorcycle run that was built by students from James Madison.

One another note, while it is true that is seems like young folks aren't involved that much in the traditional style of the automotive hobby, i am proud to say that my son is building a '58 Silver Hawk using a much modified Studebaker power plant. He has had the car since he was in high school. He got it to replace his '55 Champion sedan. I am very jealous as he is much more of a mechanic than I will ever be.

I guess what I am trying to say with all of this is that there are indeed some young people carrying out the traditional approach to the hobby all of us here love so much.

26. jipp

jipp

what i would find interesting is a race with another 10's car.. my reason is.. i wondering how much further ahead the zombie would be before the gas one caught up.. since the electric is instant go.

at any rate, you have to respect any 10's car be it electric or gas as far as im concern/ :D
    chris.

p.s
    that damn rc car was fast.. may need a a wing on it to keep it from becoming a flying skateboard since thats what it reminded me of.

27. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

28. Anybody have any idea why?

29. burnout2614

burnout2614

In the near future (if not already) batteries will be ridiculously expensive but have a ridiculously short life span! peace ps The white zombie IS badass!

30. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Give the Electric Blue a few more years running and I'm sure they could go faster.

I was a student at BYU and a student of Brother Carters. I got to go to Ohio State with him and 3 other students to do the fiberglass layup for the old electric spec racer (looked like an Indy car with no wing) and helped on that project. We also tore apart an EV1 and they drag raced it, I think it went 13's or 14's. Great to see BYU's School of Eng and Tech continuing the racing projects.

I come from a family with some hot rodding history. My dad and uncle are big into cars, used to race at the old Irwindale strip back in the early 70's. Now my bro and cousin and I are into cars, although most of us have own newer stuff (Mustangs, Camaros, Subaru WRXs, Civics, etc.). I hope at least one of my 4 sons gets the bug. My 2 year old wants daddy to take him out in the "Suby" everyday, so there is hope. I would love to build a 20's or 30's hot rod with my boys someday.