Register now to get rid of these ads!

So you say radials suck...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Well, I'm beginning to think they can look right and refreshing on an old hot rod... ya just have to get the size right.

Sam.

[​IMG]

2. SimonSez

SimonSez

Nice car !

The backs look good, but I think that Michelin 165's would have been a better choice for the front.

(edit: These old style Michelins are still available new)

Attached Files:

3. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

That coupe is just right Sam. But the back tires are too skinney for a good running Hemi I'd think.

4. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

I agree...the car looks great....but you're still not getting me to change from my 2 plies.....

5. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

radials can look great with some well spent time with a tire groover. you just have to find one that the side wall to tread looks good.

6. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

radials first showed up in 1948
    fit on alot of cars, but www radials look FUGLY!!!

7. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

but then again, ok www cheater slicks is another issue though....
    as they are radial, but thats another story

8. Those are probably some of the better looking radials Ive seen on a rod, but they just wont burn, screetch around corners or wobble across the road like bias:D
    -Dean

9. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Nuttin' wrong with radials! As stated, you just gotta buy the RIGHT ones, and not some Super Comrade Wanderer brand or anything...and as far as being trad, my Dad was runnin' Michelin's on his 58 MGA back in the early 60s!

10. What size and brand are they?

11. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

that car is pretty cool, only thing thats gets my attention is that i wish the grillinsert was black instead that would lift the car alot,

12. If your gonna stand there and look at it, bias plies are the winner, but if your gonna DRIVE it, radials are the way to go.........a lot less tire problems not even considering drivability.

-slacker

13. striper

striper

Those rears look the part...and what C9 said

Pete

14. scarylarry

scarylarry

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Damn... Those tires are pretty right... I even like the tread.

I have radials on my '38 right now cuz I am too poor to buy new bias tires right now... It looks TERRIBLE. I'm so depressed about it.

16. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

its a nice car, but the tires suck....radials came out in the late 40's??, who the hell used them???

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ya know Sam, I saw that car in person a bunch of times this past weekend and as much as I tried I just couldn't hate those back tires.

You still can't beat a beautiful piecrust sidewall...but for radials they do look pretty darn good.

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's a really bitchin A. The rear tires look pretty good, but the fronts gotta go. A good compromise would be those rears with those high dollar Coker fronts.

Seriously, I have zero negative things to say about the drivabilty of my bias tires. Zilch.

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, Hold your head high and look the world right in the eye. I'm sure a survey would find you blameless for this little mis-step on the traditional highway.:)

Frank

20. I have no idea what size they are... but I know they are the same tire guys run on the duallies...

I also know part of the trick in getting them to look right is wheel width.

I notice that they are 16" wheels... and they are NOT Ford originals... they're too wide to be a Ford rim... plus you can see the sharp step in the drop center next to the beauty ring.

So my guess is that the rim is almost as widee as the tread pattern... maybe we can get someone to ask the owner at the next show... and fill us in on the size of the tire and the width of the rim... but he nailed it.

Sam.

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Bitch'in iron!......Bitch'en tires.

22. loogy

loogy

23. Too bad you're not one of those magazine guys someone would probably give you tires.:D At least that's what they tell me.

There's a guy here in town that runs radial truck tires on a '34 High-Boy. Bridgstone duellerIIs I think 295x70 or the like. At a glance they resemble an old dirt track tire. looks pretty good.

I think it just depends on the tire and the ride. Some radials have a really squared off tread.

24. DrJ

DrJ

SIMON,
    X's or XZX's are still available?
    Where?
    Anywhere north of the Equator?

25. Yea, I want to know too... I need some for the front of my Model A.

Sam.

26. loogy

loogy

27. ray

ray
    from colorado

i spotted some tires in a tire store a while back, they were probably a little taller, with a slightly more agressive tread, but for what i had in mind they were perfect..a channeled unchopped extended cab T pickup beater, but they'd be great for a midified too, the tires were replacements for 40's military jeeps.

28. DrJ

DrJ

Chris,
    Thanks. I DO appreciate the search and reply.
    But I'm interested in a Michelin XZX tire made by Michelin to the same quality as the ones that lasted 18 years on my MG, not a Coker tire that just looks like a tire Michelin used to make, but no longer chooses to sell as Michelin's own and made with Michelin materials.
    The Coker description line; "Tread design: XZX" scares me away. It says they only look like the real thing...
    I want an "X" not a "Brand X"

Besides, they cost about double what they should. :rolleyes:

29. Dr J
    they sell michellinX tires at Sams Club back here. The local Cooper dealer also sells michellin tires I can ask them if you want.

30. loogy

loogy

DrJ, Coker only owns the exclusive US rights to sell the Michelin xzx tires, but Michelin still manufactures the tires. So these tires are the real thing. Someone had told me that a while back and I just got off the phone with Michelin to confirm it. And yes, they are exspensive.

For what it's worth, everyone that I know that has a set of these (MG's, Porsches, VW's, etc.) is just as happy with their Coker bought tires as they were with their Michelin bought tires. They were an excellent tire when new and appear to be just as good today.

Chris