Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #121
hotrod_32

Default Re: Kids...

Man ...what a great shot !
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #122
redeyewelder
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdome View Post
When I was a boy and mom bought my clothes I had to wear what she bought. Then as I got a little older I told her "Mom I want to dress like Dad, blue jeans, flannel shirts and white socks". You see Dad was my mentor. He taught me about cars and so much more. I will never have a tatto because he had one and he said any time he was stopped or had a run in with the law they asked if he had been in jail and was treated like a real criminal instead of just a young guy who was out having fun and it got a little out of hand.

By the way I'm 49 and respect both young and old alike just like Dad taught me. Respect is something that takes your whole life to earn but can be lost in a moment. I'm going to be myself and won't fault you for doing the same as long as you treat me as I treat you, respectfully.

The one thing I see here is we all like old cars. The views of what is cool is as diverse as the people on this site.

AMEN!!!!!! you took the words right out of my mouth...respect is what its all about...the older guys should encourage and guide the younger guys..why the hel do you think they got on this site????..

not bash them and make them feel stupid!!!! they look up to yall ,,,emulation is the highest form of flattery...

old age doesnt equal instant respect from everyone, nor give you the right to disrespect anyone...it should be given as it is earned....in sayn that my momma taught me to respect my elders even when they disrespect...

an in some famous words(cant we all just get along)lol
Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #123
rbantique
Alliance Member

HRM gave some tips on hot rod fashion.

Photobucket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hip 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	1444960   Click image for larger version

Name:	fashion1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	1444961   Click image for larger version

Name:	fashion2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	1444962  

Name:	fashion3.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	1444963   Click image for larger version

Name:	fashion4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	1444964   Click image for larger version

Name:	fashion5.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	1444965  

Name:	fashion6.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	1444966   Click image for larger version

Name:	fashion7.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	1444967   Click image for larger version

Name:	fashion8.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	1444968  

Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #124
Larry T
Old School HAMBer

Just a thought on the respect old/young deal. It's real easy to get pretty cynical when you read "crusty old f***ers" and how do I screw the old guy out of his...... posts.

I'm pretty much a mirror image of who ever I'm talking too. If someone (young or old) is serious about what he's doing, I'll do what ever I can to help him. If he's trying to build his "cred" or rebeling against the older generation, he's gonna find out how big of an asshole you can be with 60's years of training.

Well, even though hot rodding is a young guy deal, I guess I'll go tinker with the 55 for a while.
Larry T
Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #125
gnichols
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbantique View Post
HRM gave some tips on hot rod fashion.
Funny pix!! But I remember those days as well, the Dobie Gillis look? College boys? Hair goo, cardigan sweaters, turtle necks, high water pants with skinny legs, super skinny belts (weren't those a hoot) and ties, white socks. You could nerd it up with a pocket protector, too. Thankfully, the hippies came along. Gary
Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #126
48FordFanatic

If you want to see what real hot rodding was like get a copy of the book " Cool Cars, Square Roll Bars", by Shuman.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #127
Bone Daddy
Grenade Inspector

Holy Shit! One of the best written articles I've ever read in my life!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #128
36C8
Grenade Inspector

I think it's the big black army boots that you see the greaser crowd wearing more often than not, instead of the loafers or wingtips, that gets me. When you look through the vintage shots, they're rarely wearing anything like the big boots, even on the Bonneville Flats!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #129
4t64rd
Old School HAMBer

Location: Pinellas County - the skin tag on the underside of America's wang, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

To many in the older set, it has become almost fashionable to ridicule the young "greasers" of hot rodding. The old farts snicker at the cuff jeans, roll their eyes at the pompadours, and complain about their cars. They taste disgust and spit it out ...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
I just found this entry... and I have the perfect picture to go with it... my late friend Don Steuernagel and 2 friends... about 2006. Don used to wear a Uncle Sam hat with rod run pins all over it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Don1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1448988  
Old 10-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #130
Speedy Canuck
Alliance Member

Ryan, I always enjoy reading your blog updates. You find way cool stuff, whether retro or current, and share it with the masses. But this blog, I loved in particular. Thanks for sharing this with us. I also enjoyed your 'day dreaming' of who the four kids are.

"Oh say, chum, you're all dirty from workin' on this fine mo-sheen."

>Instagram<
Old 10-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #131
striper
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t64rd View Post
I just found this entry... and I have the perfect picture to go with it... my late friend Don Steuernagel and 2 friends... about 2006. Don used to wear a Uncle Sam hat with rod run pins all over it.
Looks like the running boards on A coupes have gotten a bit shorter over the years

http://www.readersdigest.com.au/most-trusted-professions-2013
Old 01-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #132
tommyd
Alliance Member

A great read that some of us "newbs" missed the first time around.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #133
falcongeorge
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth slater View Post
I wish some of the angry old Hambers could go back in time and tell them all how lame they were wanting to slick there hair and get chicks.
They did. In spades. But they werent "HAMBers" there was no such place as the HAMB, or the internet. They were just the "older guys" and we listened to them when they chewed our asses out, because they'd been there, done that.

I have related this conversation between me and my mentor here before, took place around 1980. By that time, I had something of a local rep, and had built more than a few motors that had won more than thier share on the street, I'm relating it here as it happened...

Young, mouthy know-it-all me: "Bob, I'm building this 302 ford, I'm thinking of reversing the pistons on the pins, to see if it'll pick up any power. I've done it on a few Mopars, seems to help, what do you think?"

My Mentor: "So you are putting this pile of shit together? Cant see how it would hurt, if you are building it, it'll probably blow up anyway..."

True story.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #134
falcongeorge
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
Just a thought on the respect old/young deal. It's real easy to get pretty cynical when you read "crusty old f***ers" and how do I screw the old guy out of his...... posts.

I'm pretty much a mirror image of who ever I'm talking too. If someone (young or old) is serious about what he's doing, I'll do what ever I can to help him. If he's trying to build his "cred" or rebeling against the older generation, he's gonna find out how big of an asshole you can be with 60's years of training.

Well, even though hot rodding is a young guy deal, I guess I'll go tinker with the 55 for a while.
Larry T
Dead on the money, 110%, couldn't have said it any better myself. Ask a serious, sensible, well thought out question, you will get a serious, sensible, well thought out response. Age doesnt enter into it one way or the other.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #135
Skavangs49_Merc
Grenade Inspector

Like the pic.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #136
trollst
Grenade Inspector

Also an old guy here, I can relate, for me it wasn't rolled up jeans, it was Harley Davidsons and generally trouble, I get roasted over my handle here on the hamb, but its part of me. The good old days were a different time, gay meant happy, now it means something to be proud of....I'm the troll because it was a different time, and I earned the name, given to me out of respect, I was mean as they come, rode hard and lived fast. But, I learned stuff, things I don't do now, but amongst those who matter, I'm still the troll, a mark of respect still.
I love the young crowd, I go out of my way to teach what I know and help the younger guys do car stuff, I will give up parts to those I can help, open my shop to those that need instruction and guidance, even to the very young, as long as they don't tell their moms what hangs on my shop walls.
I don't wish to recreate that time, this is the best time of my life, the best time of hot rodding, welders and tools are better than ever, car parts are more readily available, its cheaper to build a car than ever before.
It was good times though, brings back memories.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #137
falcongeorge
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie View Post
Grease for peace!!!
Classic, absolutely classic...
Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #138
Kerry
Alliance Member