Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Railton Special In Motion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Ultimate description of 40's "Slippery".....what a cool piece of machinery.....makes a person want to go out to Bonneville:cool:

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That thing was hauling ass!!! For a second when they picked up the body I thought they were carrying the car I was thinking "wow that thing is light!!!" Oops!

Cool footage, thanks.

4. plhildy

plhildy
    from Clovis, Ca

Being only a few months old at the time I have forgotten a few of the details. I am guessing twin Rolls-Merlin's to make it go? Tech shots would be fun to look at, though I suspect all of that info was closely guarded information.

5. That's cool when they pick up the body to put it back on the chassis.

6. senorleroy

senorleroy
    from Austin

Who's singing that track?

7. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Back in the 50's I had a tiny 2.5" model of that car,that came in a cereal box. I looked for years for another. Recently I found 4 on E-bay to add to my huge cereal premium collection. Its too bad no one cares about my collection other than me.

8. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

Nice find, Ryan! Awesome to see these vintage shots and picture being there back then. Wow. Thanks.

9. Morris

Morris
    from UK

W12 Napier Lions. Some more film here http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=58172

10. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

BEAUTIFUL!..............RC...........hard to believe they were doing that in such a beautiful machine the year I was born! Had to laugh when they put the body on, we did exactly the same maneuver just a few days ago to put the body on a '32 two door sedan......some things remain the same 64 years later!.....LOL.........Oh.....the music is excellent also!.........thanks for doing that!

11. Ryan -

Cool video! ... Thanks for sharing!

Thanks also for the link to your previous Blog about the Railton Special (I somehow missed that one) ... there's lot's of good info & pics in the resultant Railton Special thread.

12. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Those British LSR cars were almost allways giants compared to the 'liners American hot rodders were building!!! Compare the Railton to Challenger, or the original Green Monster to Bluebird Proteus, the Brits were big on engines and size!!!

13. For folks that have trouble playing vimeo logo.jpg clips, here's a YouTube logo.JPG version of the film ... without Ryan's cool soundtrack:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pp_LGPxblnM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pp_LGPxblnM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    Uploaded to YouTube on Mar 31, 2009 by the J. Willard Marriott Library

14. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Very cool - thanks Ryan - John Cobb was my boyhood hero. I remember like yesterday the shock of reading the paper when he was killed in the boat.
    Pity we have no sound of twin Lions at full throttle!
    No the car is not that big, it's very low to the ground. You can visit it - I think it's in the National Motor Museum along with the Golden Arrow, also Napier powered.

15. das858

das858

Thanks Ryan and Hemi32 for the great films, helps inspire me on my Bonneville project.

16. plhildy

plhildy
    from Clovis, Ca

That is wonderfull, thank you so much for the post!

17. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

18. Very cool clip!! Thank you for sharing it with us.

19. sololobo

sololobo

Thanx for sharing this historic and exciting film. What a treasure! Muchos Gracious!! ~sololobo~

20. truckjim

truckjim

Just came back from the salt. Funny how much things haven't changed in my lifetime! Still something everyone should experience. Thanks for the great look at how it was done.

21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

What he said, Ryan...........

Who does that tune?

22. S.F.

S.F.

Badass video...personally not a fan of the sound track with it....still badass

23. 5window

5window

Probably the ladies hats were a little different? Very cool video. I wonder what he used for tires?

24. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The chip was amazing,, but I wanted to see more of the way cool support truck.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

From Jimmie Vaughan's Blues, Ballads, and Favorites... "Funny How Times Slips Away."

26. Slick video. That things is really cookin. Excellent choice on the song!

27. autobilly

autobilly

Totally enthralling film, I could watch it over and over again (and have done).

28. flamingokid

flamingokid

You're not alone.I hope people want my stuff when I kick the bucket.

Great video!!

29. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Incredible.

Thanks for sharing that fantastic historic footage of Jon Cobb on the salt.

That film clip is a real treasure.

Great choice of music too, Ryan you are the truly a young man with a huge heart and a great love for all things old and nostalgic.

Bart

30. huszarail

huszarail

The Railton Special is displayed in the 'Think Tank' Science museum in Birmingham England. Unfortunately thoughts are that it is now too fragile to ever turn a wheel under its own power again. I think they're wrong. With comitment and effort it would fix, but you gotta get past the museum brigade.:mad: