Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 chrysler newyorker custom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tattoos by brandon, Sep 15, 2011.

1. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

i got this car for 2300 about 2 yrs ago now and this last yr i started to slowly work on it ...it started as a drivable project and nothing big was gonna be done ..but i started thinking and im ready to make this car what i want it to be ...

the plan; lower shave everything remove chrome and fix rust then rebuild the engien ...as of right now it drives and runs well but needs some work ...what you cant see is that the steering box needs rebuilt and some brake issues ... im hoping to get disc brakes on it soon ...well here ya go this is the pics of what i have got done so far and ill keep posting as stuff is done thanks and enjoy !

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

here is some progress this is the motor before and after and some mods to interior and just some stuff i have started to remove

3. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

the radiator was junk had it rebuilt and new carb ...this winter im pulling the engine but for the summer i painted it up and cleaned it up as much and cheap as possible

4. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

5. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

6. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

ok so the plan for paint is a satin (flat black) look for the body and the roof will be the red with more intense metal flake

7. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

the back is lowered 3 in with blocks and im trying to lower the front with the torsion bar but this is my first car and im new to this so its taking some time and a lot of research and i would like to thank all the ppl on here that have gave me some pointers !!!

8. jipp

jipp

hey nice progress. i really dig this.. that car is cool.. the fins rock.. keep up the good work..
    chris.

9. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Diggin the fins man! Keep up the good work!

10. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

ok well my friend brought over a compressor and my dad brought some air tools home from work so we started on the body ...i didnt plan on taking it to metal but there was a lot of bubbles under the paint hiding some rust and when i removed the chrome i found a lot of bad rust and some bondo

11. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

got some dents out and got it down to metal ... took off the front bumper and cleaned up the welds and started with some body work ...hoping for primer this week !

12. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

thats all i got for now and here is some pics of my new truck cab i got for $40 and my 82 camaro we need to get fixed up so we can have it on the track ...its not ham appropriate but my dad gave it to me and was the car that started it all for me ...ill get some work done and post it asap right now im not doing much cuz my shop is busy and my dad just had surgery ..thanks guys hope you like it !

13. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

been at the swap meet in canfield so ill have some cool stuff soon !!!

14. glassguy

glassguy

great 1st project.. your being very thorough!!! keep on with that, and im sure it will look awesome!!

15. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

thanks guys i got some pics ill upload tomorrow ...i still got alot of patches to make ..alot of ppl would just druaglass it but i want to do this right but still keep its "cheap" lol i got alot of stuff from the swap meet so ill post pics of that also... enjoy !

16. Phinney

Phinney

I'll be following your build, I have a '59 Desoto Firedome that I'm hoping to make a mild custom. Mine needed rockers, sills, floors (all 18 ga.), frame, etc...but you don't see these finned cars around too often. Great work man, can't wait for more!

17. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

spent some cash at the swap meet !!! im doing work tonight and got some test fitting to do so ill have pics for tomorrow [​IMG]

18. Squablow

Squablow

I like the car but have you considered painting the whole car red, or red with a black roof instead of the other way around? Flat black is kinda played out, especially on a four door.

Also, I'd consider just shaving stuff like the hood emblem and door handles and keeping that big long side spear on it, looks nice like that, might be kinda plain without it. Would be easy to photoshop. I'm doing a '62 Chrysler right now, I'll be watching.

19. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

yeah thats what im doing for the most part just keeping the spear and window moldings...i think im painting the car black with a flat clear and if i dont like it im gonna just re clear it but i love the look of the long flat black 4 doors thats the whole reason i picked this one up ..thanks for the input though who know what it till be when its done lol

20. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

didnt get much work done on the car i need to get to work before it gets to chilly out ....my friend and i are planing to have the 2 doors and hopefully front fender in primer ...you cant see but i got alot of scratch building to do to lower front fender and rear quarter and the rear lip above my back tier so ill take pics of the damage and should have some before and hopefully after pics soon ...an as soon as i get cash i got to get me a door popper kit and find out how to lower the front get without killing my self with the torsion bar lol then its time to pull it in the other way to work on the other side but first i got to fix the hood blots i broke tightening down the hood ... it wasn't even very tight so im gonna be busy the next couple of days so ill get the pics up !

21. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

ps that's my new engine stand i got for $20 and my dads new carb lol

22. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like you're making fast progress. I like the idea of shaved handles but keeping the side spear, should look clean that way.

23. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

yeah i was thinking the same thing you said about keeping it ... i think im gonna take out the stales steel that's in the middle of the spear and paint it the same red as the roof and rims ... its hard for me to not be able to drive it but i gotta get stuff done while i can and sense i was planing on fixing the steering box and revamp the motor this winter i figured i would try to have the body done before snow fall its just hard when i run a tattoo shop and im taking care of my dad that has been having some health issue for a couple months ...he should be back on his feet 100% by next month and this will move along alot faster he has restored many cars ..and by the way i have looked at some of your threads ...very interesting and good work ! thanks for viewing and posting comments it keeps me moving along !

24. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

ok heres some before pics from last night im hoping to have this stuff patched and ready for primer by monday ...i have welded up some holes from the chrome and fixed a patch in the door last night ...next step the bottom rear for the front fender and bottom of the front of the rear quarter then the big hole in the bottom of the rocker !

25. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

26. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

i cant wait to get home so i can do some work ...9pm is so far away ...update on my dad he should be getting out of the hospital within the next 3 days so once he gets home and is felling 100% work will move along fast!

27. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

ok this is the work i have got done so far 1st we will start with the rust repair ...i wish i could find some replacement rear quarters but i have had no luck so far ...but any way i started by fixing the lip above the rear wheel and the lower part of the front fender and welded it to the rocker and replace the rusted sheet metal at the same time ..its slow but its getting there every thing i am doing i have to make from scratch so here it is

28. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

we began scraping the rest of the car down also while the welds were cooling and some bondo whats drying...there were small bubbles in the black paint and as its sanded down it looks to be light rust so we started grinding the paint down but its tearing the metal up so we decided to just scrape sense the black comes off so easy and 80grit it down from their

29. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

im planing to have this re chromed and be my new hood ornament sense my band gos by "vo"-violent offense- and here are some pics of the body work ....dont mind the think amounts of bondo 90% of it is gone when we are done and there is just a think cough ...my dad is showing my friend Steve how to do some body work so we were having him spread it a little think i got to buy some cans of etching primer and we will be on are way to having this side im primer @!

special shout out to ....HOLMES

30. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

here is my 52 dodge i had to drive to work today...im hoping it wont rain but i got some protection just in case and here is some bling for the engien compartment i got from some creepy goat and will look great when i lift the car with 50in rims ...jk but any way here is some pics of the rear wheel lip welded in