Register now to get rid of these ads!

Print's not dead... at Autobooks in Burbank!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Jackt1932

Jackt1932

Mind sharing the street address?

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

http://www.autobooks-aerobooks.com/

corner of Catalina and Magnolia

Autobooks was founded in 1951 by Harry Morrow, a well known formula 500 racer and all around car guy. It has been a Burbank institution ever since.
    In the 1980's the Aerobooks side was added.
    Today we are the oldest and largest automotive bookstore in the US and one of the best Aeronautical stores in the US.
    Autobooks is a must see destination on every true car nut's list. People come from all over the world to meet like minded folks and find the books, die cast and videos they dream of.
    AS of 2008 we are proud to offer our complete inventory for sale on the website.
    If you don't see what you are looking for please give us a call or drop us an email. We are always happy to search out new and obscure sources of information.

4. plhildy

plhildy
    from Clovis, Ca

I grew up in Burbank, and couldn't believe what I found when I found it! The store has moved, and from the look, been remodeled, but it really is more than you can imagine.
    Paul

5. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Great store, in a pretty decent location considering all the car guys within driving distance.

I went to the signing for "Electroline Diaries," a few years back, and I remember they had a very decent turn-out for that.

6. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Can't remember the last time I left that place where my wallet wasn't at least $100 lighter. I love it.

7. I used to go to Burbank frequently and I never noticed this store.

8. bob-o

bob-o

Best fucking bookstore EVER. I need to make a trip down there. It's about that time :)

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Great Place! Great Service! When an Ausi friend wanted a hard to get Moto Guzzi book, they had it on the shelf for a great price and they shipped it to me right and I was able to get it to him for his birthday.

10. mason-d

mason-d
    from san diego

How convenient! I am going to be in LA this weekend and get paid tomorrow. cant wait

11. toml24

toml24

Autobooks/Aerobooks of Burbank, CA. is a fantastic store. I've been going there since the early 1980s and it is a wonderful experience to see the collection of books they have.

12. Crankhole

Crankhole

I've been there a half dozen times or so. Rad store! If you're a car guy, you won't be disappointed. And for you guys that can't read, look at the pictures.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There used to be a similar store in San Deigo about twenty years ago that I frequented when i was in town. Does any body remember the name of that one? Next time I'm over I'll have to check Auto Books out!

14. toddjw73

toddjw73
    from Tracy, CA

I first heard about the store when I actually had one of my own. A customer had told me about it. So needless to say, I had to check it out. I finally got there after I shut my store down. I first went about 4 years ago. The second visit was when Dwayne Vance had a signing for his Hot Rod Artists: Masters of Chicken Scratch book. It was an awesome day. I haven't been there since, but I will eventually get back there. Always something for me to add to the book collection. I actually bought the book from Dwayne at the GNRS and he told me about the signing. I drove back down for the weekend just for that.

I would highly recommend anyone in the L.A. area should run over to check this store out.

15. Steve Magnante took me there when I went to LA a few years ago. Very cool place! I wish we had a place like that here in MD.

16. flamingokid

flamingokid

Thanks for finding new places to spend my money.

17. A great place, though I liked the old store better. Jay Leno used to visit a lot of Saturday mornings, each time driving one of his cars, even the Deusenbergs! He'd hang out to shoot the breeze. Don't know if he still does. They also have an aviation section and motorcycle stuff as well.

18. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Those of you that like books, needa check us out in the social group:

HAMB Book Club

-W

19. Ah yes, more reasons why I miss So-Cal so much...I used to live about 20 minutes east of Autobooks and I seem to remember that every time I visited, there was always a cool car or bike parked out front. Not to mention the frequent Leno sightings...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  20. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Peter had a book signing there, and like Coby, every time I left there I was $100.00 lighter......Great store! That's me, Peter and Cal.

[​IMG]

21. sololobo

sololobo

What a cool store, California rules again. They have a site a www.autobooks-aerobooks.com. Out of towners can hone in this way. ~sololobo~

22. derelict

derelict

I love the place and visit everytime I'm in the area. There's a great Cuban breakfast spot just a few blocks from there that you can cure your hunger pangs at, called "Popo's".

23. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Thanks for posting! I tried to order a copy of "Lost Hot Rods" from Amazon and they were out. Found it here though!

24. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

This is a great place to visit for any literate person who loves anything with wheels or wings. Unfortunately, I blew through my "fun money" budget about 10 minutes after I walked through the door. I'm overdue for another shopping trip.

25. FUEL01

FUEL01

When I was over in March this was on my 'must do' list, and I was not disappointed. It's a superb store, and fantastic to see so much support for us small publishers.

26. Been going there over forty years, never disappointed. I've woke up Harry Morrow the original owner, when he was passed out in the back, to buy stuff, what a character. If you're looking for old manuals and out of print automotive and racing books there's a place just a little east on the same street called Automotive Book Stop, 1508 Magnolia St, Burbank, Ca.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  27. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Very nice, Thanks !

28. Spike!

Spike!

Nice! Hope to have a book in there some day!

Spike

29. big creep

big creep

its a great books store and more! love that place!

30. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

Was taken to this FANTASTIC store this last Jan when I was on SoCal for the GNRS. Unbelievable store. Only wish I could go there more often.