Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hubley Racers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yeah, I have a re-pop of the straight eight w/ the opening hood. Those cars are great. :cool:

3. Arcade made some nice ones too. Not quite as detailed as Hubley, but very cool.

JH

4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Neat post, especially like the one's with an obvious LSR influence, (wonder if the designers were gearheads at all ,or just used news accounts for reference)...will now wait to see what other collectors will put up as well. Thanks.

5. Killer Hubley....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very cool. I don't have any of those, but I do have some cast iron motorcycles and a cast iron Chrysler Airflow.

this one could be a fake, it is my understanding that the cast toys were never held together by screws.

[​IMG]

7. You are correct 49ratfink (I have the same one in yellow AND blue)!

8. when you threw one at a sibling they knew you were torqued off ... ouch
    a long breathlees gasp before the real crying / blood... and then yelling for mom.

all my cast toys were found on top of the tall china hutch when i was old enough to reach up there ...most had a signe of the throwing abuse ..

9. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

Is there any sure fire way of telling an orig from a repop? I got this one in a box of old toys from an old hardware store along with 2 orig Lehmann tin cars. It looks almost too perfect to be orig. No markings on it and no screws anywhere

Attached Files:

10. autobilly

autobilly

My boys would be dead if they had any of these. Now me on the other hand, I'm a good boy (now) and Santa, I'd really dig one like this!
    [​IMG]

11. I remember having these Hubley cast cars when I was just 6 or 7. They would have all of the cars on sale around Christmas, and I think every boy I knew got at least one in his stocking. Brings back awesome memories of a good time in life for me, thanks. Can I call you Mr. Bomber?

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the best way to tell is the screw that holds the two halves together. originals never had a screw of any kind. the repops are not as crisp in the casting as the originals, as a general rule the repops have a thicker, sloppier gap in the seam between the halves. also a repop will usually have poorly cast wheels as well, originals have wheels like what you have on your red one there... looking at the photos, I'd say yours is original.

13. Many of the newest ones have that wretched "patina" on them as well...

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

I collect and it's definitely original.

15. Nobey

Nobey

I have a Hubley Kiddie toy here it is a one piece sprint car with the number 5 on the tail. It is painted blue with a gold driver and the hood does not open. Anyone have any thoughts on what year it might be?

16. MisterBill

MisterBill

Here is a pic of the Hubley we have, is it orig or a repop?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011